The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner?

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #471  
Anyone say “A skid steer loader”?

I need one real bad. Tired of beating my farm tractor to death.

Should get one, but even in the best economy EVER, I can’t swing one….but I WILL someday.
Meanwhile, I did buy a skid steer a couple of years ago. Primarily to run the snowblower, but in the summers it wears the rock bucket/grapple.

It came with a bucket, which I have never used. And see no reason to.

Also, overall the skid steer is a love/hate thing. It's a pain to get in and out of, has minimal ground clearance, tears stuff up unless making several very mild turns, poor to no rearward visibility (I have added mirrors, which helps), and I don't like that the loader arms must be nearly all the way down to be able to open the door and get out.

If I find something else to run the snowblower with, I can sell you a low hour (about 450) New Holland L218 for cheap.
DSCN4246.JPG
DSCN4270.JPG
DSCN4276.JPG

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #473  
Compared to tractors of a similar size skid steers have very powerful hydraulics.
That they do. And since my snowblower is meant for a skid steer, that's what I got.

It does operate it far better than my cobbled up setup on a Unimog, but mostly because of the skid steer's hydrostatic drive, allowing me to go slowly enough.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #474  

Should get one, but even in the best economy EVER, I can’t swing one….but I WILL someday.
Prices won't come down if that is what you're waiting for. A JD325 would do me just fine.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #475  
I can get a Deere 333 for under 50. That‘s a 100HP machine with cab/HVAC & hi-flow.
Theres a greatr deal on a Kubota SV97 with a forestry package near me, too.
Lot of guys around me say the Deere 333 and the cat 299 are the way to go.

It’s just a matter of time before I will have to buy one. I am wearing out my small farm tractor doing the work of a skid loader.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #476  
Lot of guys around me say the Deere 333 and the cat 299 are the way to go.
Agree with this. Not so sure about the Kubota. Definately need the forestry package.
One thing I've been seeing is that a really low hour 333G with the forestry package is hard to find and if you do it's almost as much as a new one.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #477  
I bought a used Bobcat 773 years ago from a friend, 10K spent. It does have the disadvantages mentioned but I put cameras (2) on the rear which were a game changer. I use it with a RUT brush hog. It cuts bigger stuff cleaner than anything I pull behind the tractor. When it comes to lifting I prefer the 5k CAT forklift which hass easy on/off access from either side.

Attachments

• IMG_2933.JPG
    IMG_2933.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 73257926693__FB5142D6-519E-4041-801E-87EDD10C0521.JPG
    73257926693__FB5142D6-519E-4041-801E-87EDD10C0521.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 20
   / The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #478  

About 5 years ago I bought a used Bobcat T550 from a rental place with about 2500 hours on it. I really liked it compared to using a tractor to load stuff.

We spread up to about 2500 tons of sand a year, and it was just too slow to load with a tractor, and I kept having to replace front wheel bearings on the tractor.

On one job that was about 160 miles from my shop, I rented a Kubota SVL 75 and fell in love with it.

About a year later, I sold the Bobcat. I bought it for $18,000 and sold it for $21,500

I bought a used Kubota SVL 65 from the same rental company with about 1400 hours on it. It was like going from a Volkswagon to a Cadillac. I paid $35,000 for the Kubota. It was money well spent.

I have the bucket, pallet forks, a tiller, and a box blade that is laser capable. I haven't used it for any laser grading yet, because I have two other pieces of equipment for laser grading. And, it would take a lot of learning to get good at using it for laser grading.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #479  
About 5 years ago I bought a used Bobcat T550 from a rental place with about 2500 hours on it. I really liked it compared to using a tractor to load stuff.

We spread up to about 2500 tons of sand a year, and it was just too slow to load with a tractor, and I kept having to replace front wheel bearings on the tractor.

On one job that was about 160 miles from my shop, I rented a Kubota SVL 75 and fell in love with it.

About a year later, I sold the Bobcat. I bought it for $18,000 and sold it for $21,500

I bought a used Kubota SVL 65 from the same rental company with about 1400 hours on it. It was like going from a Volkswagon to a Cadillac. I paid $35,000 for the Kubota. It was money well spent.

I have the bucket, pallet forks, a tiller, and a box blade that is laser capable. I haven't used it for any laser grading yet, because I have two other pieces of equipment for laser grading. And, it would take a lot of learning to get good at using it for laser grading.
I just looked them up. I'd love having one. My place is hilly but I'm thinking they would be stable and low center of gravity?

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #480  
One of my canyon friends raising sheep ditched the TLB a long time ago for a Bobcat... number one reason is safety.