This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch...

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #21  
The SUV driver was 'sucked' into the deeper stuff in the middle of the road. Anyone driving anything can experience that, even a big truck.

I have found that when passing in that kind of stuff, just stepping on the gas to pass will break the rear end loose sometimes. If there is any slushy stuff in the center, I just sit back and follow, and it is difficult to go slow at times and follow a slo-poke. ANYTIME in snowy and icy conditions, make very small corrections and take it easy. Even on 2 lane roads, if there is slush in the other lane, I would prefer not to pass. Don't step on the gas much or on the brakes much. That video got my attention.

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #22  
Since I live in a "no snow" climate, I cannot comment on the precariousness of the conditions like those with first hand experience. However, since we do not have the details, I will interject this ...

At an apartment complex where I used to do some work, we were surprised one morning to find that during the night a man lost control of his car and he ended up going through an intersection, down a steep embankment, through a small parking lot just mossing the sign, through the apartment complex parking lot clipping the rear corner of a car, over a large rock and landed his car in the outside steps that went to the upstairs apartment.

The weather was good and no one could figure out how and why this man had lost control and then managed to miss several lethal hazards and "park" his car without that much damage.

We found out later that it was more bizarre then we thought ... he had a heart attach and was dead before his car went through the intersection.

I guess it is always possible that the driver of the SUV in this video could have had a similar experience and that the accident was the result of a "dead man driving".

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #23  
Notice there is no median to keep such a accident from happening, scary for sure traveling at those speeds on ice. Must be the vodka because this was in Russia.

This is a stretch of Hwy. I-80 between Reno NV

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #24  
as a truckdriver the stuff scares me as bad as seeing people talking on the cell phone or texting and there is to much of it slow down on snow and put the phones away 2750$ fine if i get stopped while on the cell phone so i dont but you can in your car or truck that fine is only for CDL holders

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #25  
shame on the idiot for not maintaining safe speed and control for the conditions. ruined that poor truck drivers day for sure

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #26  
as a truckdriver the stuff scares me as bad as seeing people talking on the cell phone or texting and there is to much of it slow down on snow and put the phones away 2750$ fine if i get stopped while on the cell phone so i dont but you can in your car or truck that fine is only for CDL holders

I guess that $2750 fine, does not apply to the county snow plows, because the guy is always on his phone when he goes by my house. :laughing:

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #27  
I agree, conditions were good enough for the box truck to be able to regain control, even after being put in the same slush sideways, not once, but twice. There had to be some traction where there was no snow, to do that.

I wonder if the driver of the SUV was have been somehow impaired? Or, had limited winter driving experience? Seemed to be a lack of judgment, and control.

Anyone have a link to the story?

Using cruise control in such conditions is an invitation to disaster. It's not clear that this is the case here, though. I think I see the brake lights come on which would dis-engage the CC.

The car enters the slush, slowing actual vehicle speed, but the CC keeps the tires spinning at the higher speed, the drive wheels lose traction. Less traction on the rear tires, more on the front. Physics brings the rear of the car around and the tragedy is set in motion. Lesson - never use CC in slippery conditions.

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #28  
Using cruise control in such conditions is an invitation to disaster. It's not clear that this is the case here, though. I think I see the brake lights come on which would dis-engage the CC.

X2:(
Cruise controls are a no-no on snow. I don't think the guy had a heart attack or anything like another poster suggested, because He touched his brakes. After looking at the video again, he swung to far to the left to give himself more room while passing the cargo van and just hit a little slush, and that started the chain reaction. If he would have stayed in a straight line, he would have been fine.

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #29  
X2:(
Cruise controls are a no-no on snow. I don't think the guy had a heart attack or anything like another poster suggested, because He touched his brakes. After looking at the video again, he swung to far to the left to give himself more room while passing the cargo van and just hit a little slush, and that started the chain reaction. If he would have stayed in a straight line, he would have been fine.

x3 I think that is exactly what happened. he just drifted over too far into the crap and lost it, and over corrected which is easy to do at those speeds.

James K0UA