This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch...

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #31  
I drive 50 miles one way to work through the western Md./WV mountains and it is a notorious stretch of snow covered **** in the winter.
Someone mentioned that 4wd doesn't' mean a cure all for bad weather. I see that all the time. people think since their SUV is 4wd they can STILL travel at the speed limit on snow covered roadway.

It seems that atleast once a winter I have to beat feet down into the median and climb into a rolled over vehicle to help people get out while I am commuting to/from work. I have noticed it is ALWAYS a driver who is not form the area and usually fromt he city who is driving a 4wd.
I have done this 3 times in three yrs now. luckily no one has been seriousy injured.

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #32  
When we get snow everybody thinks they're a hotshot. I'll be in the middle lane doing 40mph in my heavy Toyota Tundra 4x4 and these yo-yo's will come blowing by me in their 2,000 lb rice burners without a care in the world.
If they only knew.

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #33  
as a truckdriver the stuff scares me as bad as seeing people talking on the cell phone or texting and there is to much of it slow down on snow and put the phones away 2750$ fine if i get stopped while on the cell phone so i dont but you can in your car or truck that fine is only for CDL holders

That fine should be stiffer no offence the person on the other end of phone in that accident probably heard the screaming meaning they were probably on it and not paying attension and that fine should be for anyone not just cdl stop and talk throw away the cell use a payphone

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #34  
When we get snow everybody thinks they're a hotshot. I'll be in the middle lane doing 40mph in my heavy Toyota Tundra 4x4 and these yo-yo's will come blowing by me in their 2,000 lb rice burners without a care in the world.
If they only knew.

isnt a toyota a riceburner sure sounds like it

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #35  
Hard to watch...

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #36  
Looks like the air buffer from the box truck pushed the SUV over a bit. Then it was all over for it.
larry

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch...
I used to drive a flat-bed tractor trailer for TMC!, and I've seen a lot of bad accidents where people was killed!

I really enjoyed my job driving a truck!!!:)... TMC has some very nice trucks!!!...It was much better (I thought at the time) than my other job working underground in the coalmines!... In the mines we had to take an elevator down about 3000 feet, and then it was 9 miles traveling on track to the face of the coal where we worked.... One part of the mines was 13 miles underground!.. The mines had 3 working sections.

I used to think that the coalmines was the most dangerous job around!!!... I've seen people get hurt real bad and have been around a few that was killed underground!:(... I've also seen a lot of big fires underground, and many times the methane gas would be so high that we had to shut down until we got better air to the section!

I started out as an equipment operator and then become a welder underground!... I've seen a lot of roof falls and 3 of the falls where people was covered up on equipment!... We once had to punch through an old coalmine that was mined out in the 40's, and we didn't know that it was full of water!!!... The continuous miner operator tried to cut a small hole in the corner of the coal, and we was closer to the old mine than it showed on the map, and water started rushing in!!!

We was all lucky because the ''coal-seam'' was going downhill!... So everyone just ran back several breaks because it was higher!... But all of the equipment was covered up with water!... The ''mine inspectors'' came out and wrote the mines up and fined them, Because the boss didn't drill test-holes so we could tell how close we was to the old mine.... I also worked for a while in coal that was only 33-inches high!!.. Had to just about lay down before you could eat!!!... I worked on a ''long-wall section'' for a while, and that is a wild place because the long-wall takes all the coal out and the roof falls all day long!!!

I started in the coalmines when I turned 18... Worked 10 years then the mines worked out and closed!... I'll be 45 this year, and I would RATHER work underground right now than drive on the highway!!!

The coalmines is a ''much safer place'' to be!!!..IMHO!!..(believe it or not):)

I had to quit truck driving because I was hit head on by a drunk driver and my wrist was shattered... Due to the metal plate in my wrist that keeps it from bending, I can't pass a physical and had to let my CDL go.

Another danger on the highway is the people on the cellphones!!!... I've thought people was drunk before in front of me on a 4-lane because they were all over the road... When I ''finally'' was able to pass them they had a phone stuck to/in their ear!!!... Driving a truck I've even seen men and women having :eek::eek::D while driving!!!.., OR, Switch drivers at 70 MPH on the Interstate!!... Driving a truck on the Interstate you always look down when they pass you!!!:)

''It's the ''other drivers'' on the highway that you better watch out for''!!!;)

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #38  
Saw this video a few weeks ago.

A few points for those not in snow climates

1. Slow down in snow/rain/sleet/freezing rain

2. 4x4 will help (like when the truck hit the thick stuff in the middle) but from my experience it does no good if not engaged and the driver would have had to hit the gas to get the front wheels pulling through that thick stuff

3.when things go wrong while in 4X4 (4 wheel skid) they go wrong in a hurry and there is virtually nothing to do but hold on!

4. In these driving conditions things could be fine one moment and disastrous the next. Culverts/bridges/shadows can cause black ice (pretty much invisible) to form

I am no expert at driving but have driven a 4X4 1/2 ton for 18 years now and emergency vehicles (ambulances/fire pumpers/ladder trucks) for 14 of those.

I was driving to a call on city streets at a crawl one day 15km/hr because the roads where so icy. We arrived fine but when I parked the truck slid backward about 20ft because of the black ice and powder snow covering it. Nothing to do but try and steer towards a snow bank to avoid parked cars. Close call!

Just one question; in all my years of emergency work I have never seen a vehicle disintergrate like that not even from a train vs van...just saying

Aftermath of

tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyB_hDKS-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my sweet iPhone4 32Gb

Last edited:
   / This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #39  
Don't know were video was taken at , Looked similar to Hwy. 97 in eastern Oregon . Two lanes , sometimes 4 lanes in places , 55 mph. for all . But that does not deter people . I avoid that hwy. at all cost , avoiding even loads that would require me to go that way . Years ago it was rated in the top 10 of most deadliest hwy's in the U.S. , the entire stretch in Oregon .

My drive tire's are a more aggressive tread design than most companies use , I sacrifice fuel mileage but I gain better control in winter conditions .

Anytime , Anywere , a fraction of a second is all it takes .

Fred H.

P.S. I have seen the aftermath of something similar in Northern California on Hwy. 395 south of Susanville . Pickup versus Log truck . Only way to know it was a pickup was because part of the bed was still there . Driver Doa , Log driver had a cut on his finger .

/ This Video Is Just ''Sad'' To Watch... #40  
Saw this video a few weeks ago.

Just one question; in all my years of emergency work I have never seen a vehicle disintergrate like that not even from a train vs van...just saying

Aftermath of

tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyB_hDKS-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my sweet iPhone4 32Gb
Not surprising actually. A sideways hit on a 6000 pound SUV hit head on by a 60,000 pound truck. Six ton engine and tranny went right through the passenger compartment of the SUV without hitting the SUV's engine first. Closing speed was probably better then ninety miles per hour adding the speed of both vehicles together. The train hit you mention was probably nowhere near as direct a head on or at a lot less speed.