Thoughts on John Deere X749

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #11  
MessickFarmEqu said:
1*There is no other machine that I can name that takes a bigger off the lot depriciation hit .
2*Problem is that very few people want an overgrown garden tractor when you can buy a subcompact for the same (or cheaper) price.
1*Ouch
2**Now you're preaching my language

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #13  
JDGREEN4ME said:
How do you like the AWS. I am interested in the X534 model w/AWS.

My wife loves it. (I am not allowed on it - maintenance only):mad: She can maneuver around fruit trees, buildings whatever. Like having a zero turn function in a tractor.;) Now I will say that in the winter I have to put wheel spacers on the rears so the chains will clear but boy what a tractor. We bought ours used at an auction about six years ago and have had only one problem a hydraulic line blowing. Strangest thing the formed collar pulled right through the block which held it. Other than that it has been great. I am afraid that she will never drive anything else.

JD 770 / 70 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749
Thanks for the replies. I am thou a little concerned about the size. The 2305 is longer and taller, so it won't fit in my trailer cause it is to tall. Some of you are saying to get a x500 series. I agree with this, however I thought they were belt drive not shaft. That is why I was looking into the 700 series. One of the reasons I was in the x74x series is because I can get fuel for the tractor off the father-in-law's farm for cheap or next to nothing. Dealers say that the diesel will last like 3 times as long cutting, blowing compared to the gas before refueling, and the motor will last longer in the long run compared to the gas.

Is that true about the diesel motor? Running longer while operating on a tank of fuel? and lasting longer down the road?
Thanks guys!

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #15  
Diesel is more thrifty per gallon, though it costs more. A diesel also has a longer life cycle than a gas motor. Maintenance on a diesel is also simpler and less costly. :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #16  
JDFANATIC said:
Diesel is more thrifty per gallon, though it costs more. A diesel also has a longer life cycle than a gas motor. Maintenance on a diesel is also simpler and less costly. :)

:confused: Wow... Thats the first i heard of that.

Fuel filters on diesels are not inexpensive and are required to be changed often. The oil for a diesel is more expensive, and most times the oil filter is also. I have owned many diesels, and still own 2 diesel tractors and one diesel truck, and i sure do not own them for ease of maintenance.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #17  
Dude Man said:
Thanks for the replies. I am thou a little concerned about the size. The 2305 is longer and taller, so it won't fit in my trailer cause it is to tall. Some of you are saying to get a x500 series. I agree with this, however I thought they were belt drive not shaft. That is why I was looking into the 700 series. One of the reasons I was in the x74x series is because I can get fuel for the tractor off the father-in-law's farm for cheap or next to nothing. Dealers say that the diesel will last like 3 times as long cutting, blowing compared to the gas before refueling, and the motor will last longer in the long run compared to the gas.

Is that true about the diesel motor? Running longer while operating on a tank of fuel? and lasting longer down the road?
Thanks guys!

I really thought I wanted an X700 Series also, mainly due to the shaft drive. But after pricing them out I figured I could replace a few belts for the price difference. Really wanted AWS so I just signed a deal for an X534. After test driving one last night I am really looking forward to mowing my lawn this weekend! :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #18  
My wife loves mowing with the Kubota BX1500.
Whitey said:
It really depends on what you want to do with the machine. We have a little over an acre of grass and my wife keeps it cut with a 425 AWS with a 54" MMM. She collects the grass with a pull behind sweeper and in the winter time she plows our drive (and sometimes the neighbor's) with the same tractor using a 54" FMP. In my opinion this mower is about the same animal as the X series. My wife is sooooo comfortable with this tractor that I haven't cut grass or plowed snow in years!:D We thought about trading it in and getting a 2305 and she drove it and there was no comparison in handling so she said no. So I bought a used CUT TLB . Now if you want to dig that is a different debate. Buy two like I did.:D

JD 770 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #19  
VABlue said:
I was also torn between the X-series and a 2305. For simple mowing, the X-series is a better fit in my yard. That said, I picked up the 2305 to get the loader and 3PH ability and have loved it since. I have 5 acres, mostly wooded, and needed something that would help me clear some trees. I could have dragged them with an X-series, but the extra functionality of the 2305 is a winner. If you are only going to mow and push snow, stay with an X5xx series.
My wife loves driving the Kubota BX1500.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #20  
nmu98 said:
:confused: Wow... Thats the first i heard of that.

Fuel filters on diesels are not inexpensive and are required to be changed often. The oil for a diesel is more expensive, and most times the oil filter is also. I have owned many diesels, and still own 2 diesel tractors and one diesel truck, and i sure do not own them for ease of maintenance.

I just put my first fuel filter on my x495 diesel. It has 200 hours on it. Oil filter and oil are the same price as filters for gas burners from deere. It may take a little more oil, not sure, but I did not have to buy any spark plugs. JC