Thoughts on John Deere X749

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #31  
FWIW, I have an x728 - had no need for 4ws and wanted the ability to add a loader. Mainly a lawn mowing machine on some pretty rocky, bumpy, root infested NE land - about 2.5 acres. I bought mine with the 45 loader - and use it all the time. Beats using a wheel barrow.

I debated the 2305 when I bought it, but had no need for a backhoe (and still don't) - BUT - due to some of the operational peculiarities on the X728 (3ph and loader curl simulataneaous operation, having to remove the loader to remove the mowing deck, the 3ph depth control requires getting off and turning a screw about 50 times to lock it in the up position, etc) and some restrictions of the loader - lift height mainly - can't dump mulch over my 6 foot fence by the pool ... sure I can lift it that high, but not when you uncurl the bucket to dump it (I think the 2305 is basically the same in this regard) I would consider the 2520/2720 for the lift height and the ability (at extra cost) easily switch from loader to 3ph work with out them moving at the same time. But then you are officially out of the ballpark in regards to the x7XX price range.

Oh, and the Deere dealership here won't sell me an imatch because it's "not recommended" on the X series - so attaching and removing heavy implements can be a bear - or at the very least a knuckle busting, bloody profanity laced experience.

Anyway, just my novice 2 cents.

Mike

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #32  
msengstock said:
BUT - due to some of the operational peculiarities on the X728 (3ph and loader curl simulataneaous operation

Mike,

There should be a diverter valve under the right footrest that you close off so the 3PH becomes more isolated from the scv functions. :)

Which dealer in CT did you buy from?

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #33  
JDFAN'

Yes, when I close the diverter when I use the loader it works great so long as I have nothing on the 3ph (and use the click and go weight box vs. a 3ph weight box) ... but with a heavy implement or weight box on the 3ph, the diverter only dampens the effect ... so if I'm using the loader I need to lock up the 3ph using the depth control "screw" on the 3ph to keep it from moving when I curl/un curl the bucket. Locking the mower deck is no big deal because the knob is right there on the floor board, but the 3ph requires you to raise the hitch to its highest point, getting off, and screwing the depth control in which is on the lower left of the rock shaft then getting back on and using the loader ... and if you need to use the 3ph, after a loader operation, you have basically do the same (raise the hitch/curl the bucket unscrew the depth control and be very aware of where your bucket is when your are lowing the 3ph because the bucket will uncurl at the same time roughly)

The easy answer is to take the loader off when useing the 3ph or unplug the bucket hoses, but when moving topsoil and wanting to grade it with a box blade - it becomes a chore and just seems like a design oversight/flaw. Still easier that using a shovel and wheel barrow though which is the only reason I haven't traded "sweetness" in on a 2XXX tractor.

I bought mine from WestEnd Power Equipment in New Milford/Danbury even though Martinka and sons is about 10 miles from my house - got a better feeling from West End.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #34  
Whitey said:
One more tidbit.......the 425 is a shaft drive mower configuration. No slippage when cutting grass. I will never own a belt driven mower again.

JD 770 / 70 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

Used machines no depreciation here.
Aren't the blades belt driven?

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #35  
LBrown59 said:
Aren't the blades belt driven?

Yes the blades are belt driven, but those are run by pto shaft and gear box..

BTW, GFY

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #36  
As someone who can't wait to get his hands on an X749, I'd just like to say the only reason I want one is because it will be a kick *** mowing machine. Period. My hilly, rocky, uneven, full-of-obstacles terrain demands a riding mower as opposed to a ZTR. Unless you have a need for maneuverability in difficult conditions, you'll probably be a lot better off with a SCUT than the high-end X-series.

I just recently got the 4200 and I am REALLY glad I didn't let my wife talk us into the 45 loader for the X475. I don't know anything about operational quirks, you can just do SO much more with a proper compact tractor.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #38  
In response to the previous question and posts I will add a couple of comments: first in contradiction to Messick's suggestion that the X series tractors take a huge depreciation hit, I have not found this to be true. In my personal experience of owning two of these machines and selling them for larger tractors, I felt they held their value quite well. There definitely is still a market for these tractors, even in our current economy and the typical buyer will not necessarily be the same looking at a 2305. My dealer continues to sell them at a fair clip despite the economy and he feels they also hold value well. I would say, though, this is partially location-dependent.

Second, I have mentioned to those in this situation to bear one major thing in mind: do you, or likely will you ever need to use multiple hydraulic attachments? This is one area where the X series machines fall short. They are NOT "just garden tractors." These machines have the power and most of the capability of a SCUT tractor and use most of the same-sized attachments--save for their hydraulic capacities, which are modest at best. Most small tractor owners ultimately want or feel they need a front end loader at some point. This creates problems for the X series machines due to their lack of hydraulic power. I have owned a FEL (JD 45) with my 595 and found it better than a shovel--but not by a lot. The 2305 would run circles around the X in this area. I also recall that one cannot mount a FEL on an AWS X series, but I could be wrong about that. Also, there is not as much difference between the X series and the 2305 in mowing manuverability. Many posts over the years have suggested there is a major difference here--there is not. These machines are comparably manuverable and agile and one will not "tear up" grass more than the other. They are also about the same physical size.

John M

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #39  
Thanks for your experience based perspective John. There is something about the X7xx series that makes me want one when I see them. I guess that the bottom line is that if you can use the AWS they are great, but if you don't want that, perhaps the 2305 deserves a close look.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #40  
jcmseven said:
:
1* These machines have the power and most of the capability of a SCUT tractor and use most of the same-sized attachments--save for their hydraulic capacities, which are modest at best.
Most small tractor owners ultimately want or feel they need a front end loader at some point.
2*This creates problems for the X series machines due to their lack of hydraulic power.
John M
1*&2*These 2 points leave them setting in the garden tractor class ( though be it in the top of that class ) as they don't measure up to a sub compact in those areas.
All else being equal I fail to see where they offer any advantage over a sub compact.