Thoughts on John Deere X749

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #21  
RollTideRam said:
I just put my first fuel filter on my x495 diesel. It has 200 hours on it. Oil filter and oil are the same price as filters for gas burners from deere. It may take a little more oil, not sure, but I did not have to buy any spark plugs. JC
Gotta agree that there is no maintenance cost difference between the X475 (gas) and the 4200 (diesel). Personally I can't wait to get an X749 in 2013. :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #22  
One more tidbit.......the 425 is a shaft drive mower configuration. No slippage when cutting grass. I will never own a belt driven mower again.

JD 770 / 70 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

Used machines no depreciation here.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #23  
arrabil said:
Gotta agree that there is no maintenance cost difference between the X475 (gas) and the 4200 (diesel). Personally I can't wait to get an X749 in 2013. :)

There is a huge difference in maintenance and operating cost between a gas tractor and a diesel. To begin with, there are no spark plugs. The hours between services are extended. You cut more acres per hour. You get longer life. You get more torque. What is there to want in gas unless it is the initial sticker? :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #25  
Whitey said:
We thought about trading it in and getting a 2305 and she drove it and there was no comparison in handling so she said no. So I bought a used CUT TLB . Now if you want to dig that is a different debate.
1*Buy two like I did
Or 3 like me.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749
Well... I don't know... So many decisions. JD shouldn't make so many models. I will go diesel for sure. I do think, that I am going to go with the X749. Just for the fact that it is really for snow blowing and cutting grass as a second task. I have a lot of trees in my yard and I think that with all the turning I will tear up my grass with a 2305. I also have to mow in a pretty steep ditch that, in my reading people complained about puckering (If that is the correct term) saying sub compacts do that easily. The biggest thing is that the 2305 won't fit in my enclosed trailer to haul around if needed, due to not having a folding ROPS. That doesn't really matter cause either tractor there will be a cab. No more snow in my face getting wet and cold period!! Also I don't think I can get the 2305 with a blower on in my garage with everything else in winter and get it out easily due to being so much longer than the 749 and not turning as sharp. Wish I had a bigger garage about now.. maybe next year.

Plus I really don't need a FEL. My father has a CASE 646 5 minutes away. I also know plenty of people I can get a skid loader from easily enough. I figure if I need a bucket all it will take is a little fore site to get something lined up for the next day to use.

Thanks for all you suggestions and thoughts.:)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #27  
Dude Man said:
1* One of the reasons I was in the x74x series is because I can get fuel for the tractor off the father-in-law's farm for cheap or next to nothing.

2*Is that true about the diesel motor? Running longer while operating on a tank of fuel? and lasting longer down the road?
Thanks guys!
1*The fuel will work in the 2305 won't it?
2*Certainly !

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #28  
<i> "...all the turning I will tear up my grass with a 2305."

Disagree... With no 4wd, no loader, and not slamming the go pedal, the 2305 won't make any more dents in the lawn than the 749 will. Especially if you run with turfs! As for the loader, keep in mind that borrowing your nieghbors will grow old when they realize that you didn't spend the money they spent simply because they had already spent it.

Just a couple of more things to make the decision that much harder!! :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #29  
Dude Man said:
The biggest thing is that the 2305 won't fit in my enclosed trailer to haul around if needed, due to not having a folding ROPS. That doesn't really matter cause either tractor there will be a cab.

Dude,

There are aftermarket folding ROPS for the 2305 if this is really a hang up, but you mention a cab. I think you'd better check on the height of the cab. It may be no different than the ROPS and might not fit in your trailer or garage. :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #30  
VABlue said:
As for the loader, keep in mind that borrowing your nieghbors will grow old when they realize that you didn't spend the money they spent simply because they had already spent it.

Just a couple of more things to make the decision that much harder!! :)

He will let a lot of small loader jobs go because he won't want to bug the neighbor about borrowing their tractor.
Get the 2305 with the loader now -/- it's better than getting the x749 and wishing later he'd gotten a loader.