Thoughts on John Deere X749

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #52  
We're all not on the same page with me. I'm thinking $50 total. For everything. Assembled and working. :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #53  
As previously stated, it depends on your use of it and expected future uses. If you appreciate the aviation adage of "better to have and not need than to need and not have" you might want to go for the 2305 as it really is a tractor compared to a strong riding mower and I believe has more versatility with implements. I think the two models in question price out to about the same.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #54  
So, all the parts for the cable operated chute like on my Yardman 10hp 30" snow blower are $48 delivered direct from MTD. Thats minus the cables themselves but includes all the brackets, the handle, the knob, and the cams for both sides. This is a dual cable system as opposed to some Cub Cadet ones I've found that use only one cable. Very easy to adapt to the 59" snow blower by drilling one hole for the cam and finding a place to mount the handle bracket on the tractor (in a removable fashion). The cables are standard bicycle cables with barrel ends. On eBay they are $5 each, so now I just need to find two in 10' length or get four five footers and mate them. Thats still less than a water resistant (not proof!) linear actuator not including all the hardware it would need. I'll post pictures when I'm done. :)

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #55  
Dude,

Congratulations on your X749 decision...

I love mine! It is great for mowing in hilly terrain. It is very stable and has excellent traction. The All Wheel Drive means that I don't have to worry that it is in 4WD when going down a steep slope, its already there.

However, I think it is best for mowing duties. If one can afford this and an SCUT for other duties, it is great to do loader work in the morning, mow in the afternoon, and do more loader work later in the afternoon without swapping implements. Just grab the tractor that is set up for the job... Sure, maybe one can put a mower under an Scut with loader attached, but that would not be as maneuverable as the X749 alone.

On the other hand, the high position of the X749 mower deck does not allow for a lot of ground clearance. I would love to raise it another 2 to 4 inches. In areas where I need the clearance, I use the 2520. Because I have the 2520 also, I don't worry about what the X749 can't do like an SCUT. I just use it for what it does best, and use the 2520 for what it does best.

You should love the X749...

Attachments

• HEL_9897small.jpg
    HEL_9897small.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3,477
   / Thoughts on John Deere X749 #57  
The X749 is a great tractor. I have owned my X595 for over three years and can say I have not been disappointed in it.

There has been some discussion on a loader. I will agree the flowrate of the X series is not up to par for commerical use of a loader. And for some reason the AWS does not support a 'factory' loader option. (Although I have heard of people retro-fitting a model 44/45 to their AWS.)

My solution is to use a Johnny Bucket Sr. on my X595. Has the same capacity (bucket and weight) less the lifting height of a model 45 loader. For 99.9% of the time I use it for digging, scrapping, hauling, that doesn't require lifting material into a truck. Put a tool-bar on it and every evergreen brush shakes in fear when it is near it! :) It is a great alternative to a 45 loader. Plus you can use it on a AWS with the deck installed.

Both the bucket and X series are quality products that will serve you well.

Brian

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #59  
TimS said:
Components - Cables - Brake Cables - Jagwire Tandem Brake Cable Campagnolo Slick Stainless 1.1x3000 : Bikeman's On-Line Store

Tandem brake cable, 9.8 feet. You can get housing at the same place. Can you point me to a parts page for the MTD setup? Sounds like it might work well.

Tim

The current cables are 1.55mm with a 5.5mm housing. I don't know if that makes them 1.5/5 or 1.6/6. They also have the horizontal barrel ends on both sides. I'm going to call a place I found that has everything necessary in one place, including a screw-set barrel end for the other side, in the next few days. I'm going to use the parts off my Yardman first and see if the new cables will work their chute. Then buy the parts if everything works. Might as well spend as little as possible while working this out.

BuyMTDOnline Landing Page is where the hardware is. On page 5 of the attached document, parts 1, 2, 17 (x2), 20, and 31 are needed. 9 and 10 are the cables and the rest are nuts, bolts, and washers which I'm sure I have laying around.

Attachments

• OEM-190-624.pdf
    546.7 KB · Views: 266
   / Thoughts on John Deere X749 #60  
I have a X595 with a 62C mower deck, 54" plow and the grader blade. I bought mine in the fall and the following spring they came out with the 2210. At first I was upset as I could have bought the 2210 with FEL for about the same amount of money. After looking them over closer, the seat (suspension) on the X595 is much more comfortable than the 2210. I have a bad back and put about 135 hrs a year using the X595 and most of it is mowing so the seat makes a huge difference for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the X749 has the same seat as my X595 and is much better than the 2305's seat so if mowing is your primary purpose for your tractor, the X749, X595 are the cadillac of lawn mowers. I also would like a FEL but will wait and probably getting some thing like the 3320, 3520 or 3720. Sorry for the long post but I believe that most people don't take into consideration one of best features of the X-series and that is the suspension. I also added a fender mount tractor radio w/headphones and enjoy my time mowing. I have owned a 318, 445 and now the X595 which just recently turn 800 hrs and each time I up graded, I was worried I might be disappointed as I was very satified with the previous tractor but JD seems to keep improving with each new model.