Thoughts on John Deere X749

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #41  
jcmseven said:
first in contradiction to Messick's suggestion that the X series tractors take a huge depreciation hit, I have not found this to be true. In my personal experience of owning two of these machines and selling them for larger tractors,
1*I felt they held their value quite well.

2*Also, there is not as much difference between the X series and the 2305 in mowing manuverability.
3* Many posts over the years have suggested there is a major difference here--there is not.
4*These machines are comparably manuverable and agile and one will not "tear up" grass more than the other.
5*They are also about the same physical size
**************** John M
1*But I would say there are more people looking for used S Compacts than are people who are looking for an x XXX JD thus you would have a better chance of moving a Sub compact quicker than you would a JDxXXX.

1-5*This being the case then what would be the advantage of going with it over a Sub Compact?

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749
Thanks for the info. I did some pricing around and decided to go ahead and get one. Thanks for all you help. Dealer said it would be a couple of weeks to get it all in. I am hoping I made the right decision.
X749
Hard Side Cab w/Heater,Wiper,& Deluxe Overhead Console
54" Mower w/mulch kit
47" Two Stage Blower (Getting Modified to Control Chute Electrically as soon as I get it, for angling up and down from inside the cab)Don't get that. Deere offers up/down with the blower, and left and right with the chute but not up and down for the chute (not being a manual crank) Kinda cheesy I think
Rear weight bracket and 6 suit case weights.
And hydraulic angling for parents Front Mount 52" Broom.

I decided to put the cab and accessories in myself thou, so when I get it I have to do some work before I get to play.
Thanks for the words of advice. After 8 months of looking and talking to people, I finally get to get my carefully researched and planned out dream machine.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #43  
Dude Man said:
Deere offers up/down with the blower, and left and right with the chute but not up and down for the chute (not being a manual crank) Kinda cheesy I think

Dude,

If you think this is cheesy, then consider Kubota (who makes a fabulous sub-CUT) doesn't even offer a hydraulic rotate. :)

Congrats on your decision!

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #44  
For the chute up and down I was gonna see if I could jimmy up a cable driven system like on my push snow blower. Can't be that hard...

I think they don't have it hydraulically operated because you'd have to have a 3rd SCV to use it and if you didn't then you couldn't work it by hand either.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #45  
LBrown,

I disagree with your assessment about the solely garden tractor motif on the X series. JD markets them as garden tractors, but they do have much more capability than any garden tractor I have ever used or seen. These machines are capable of doing real loader work, though the loader is slower than that on the 2305. In my area, many landscapers use these machines in place of ZTR's for rapid mowing, spraying and tillage work. They are more comfortable and have better ergonomics than does the 2305 for mowing type work and thus are a great choice for those tasks among landscapers here who mow on the steeps yet have to do some ground engagement or snow removal work also to do. This makes them both popular and unique and keeps them moving at a rate similar to the 2305 here. I would agree if I (meaning ME personally) were looking at a machine in this size, I would go with a 2305, but if I were a landscaper or commercial mower who did not want a ZTR I would go with the X series, in the four wheel steer. This is what many are doing in my locale. I will also say that some dealers, mine included, think the build quality and finish work on the X series machines is better than the 2305. Although I have never seen a poorly made 2305, I am sure there is some validity to this point as the X series machines are really nicely made--and cover a niche, especially in four wheel steer varities--not covered by the 2305 or other SCUTS.

John M

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #46  
arrabil said:
For the chute up and down I was gonna see if I could jimmy up a cable driven system like on my push snow blower. Can't be that hard...

I think they don't have it hydraulically operated because you'd have to have a 3rd SCV to use it and if you didn't then you couldn't work it by hand either.

Deere sold a cable-operated remote chute angle adjuster on older versions of that blower. I looked into it a while back, but then talked to a guy in Nova Scotia that had the setup and he said it was next to impossible to keep from icing up - maybe that's why it was discontinues. I suspect you could do better yourself.

Also, if you look around on this site, there is a mod to make the chute swing more than the 180 degrees the stock arrangement provides. Have not tried it myself - just offset my chute so it goes slightly "backwards" on one side. It's useful for busting through the drift at the end of the driveway without dumping the snow on the freshly-plowed road - the town plow guys get fussy about that, and I don't blame them.

Tim

all you need is a 12v linear actuator, some wire, hardware, craftsmanship, oh yeah and a momentary single pole double throw toggle switch.
Works great. Old man used a car seat adjustment motor and rail. Never once froze up or didn't work.
I just think the actuator will work better and my old man works for the county and said that is what they use now, and never have any problems.
hope it helps

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #48  
12V linear actuators are NOT cheap. It seemed like a good idea but I think I'm going back to thinking about cable operated...

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #49  
We paid less than $200 for a 400-lb capacity 12V actuator w/ 18-in. stroke. That's not bad. We used it for a different application but works the same. You can buy top of the line Duff-Norton actuators for over $400 but it's not necessary. If I can find the info I'll post it.

Bill

Northern Tool has them between 130 to 150 depending on what length stroke you need