Tipping butt pucker!!

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #21  
I had a pucker of my own the other day. Using the new bush hog on my little tractor, the rear wheel of the tractor hit a tall stump that I hadn't seen in the brush. It lifted the right wheels up in the air. Surprised, I said to myself "what just happened?" So I backed up...over the same stump. Oddly enough, the same two wheels went up in the air again. I didn't try it a third time.

Larry

e

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #22  
Is the seat made that way, or is that a big "hickey"..?? Never tipped one, but there were more than several times I thought I was going to.

I think the worst was a little IH 12 yard scraper. Made a short turn over a 1-1/2:1 slope, and she took a nose dive. My boss told me if it ever did that, keep full throttle so as to keep full hydraulic power, and drop the bowl, and keep it stretched out. I did, and naturally he was there... Pulled up beside him, and told him it's tough to keep your foot in the throttle, when you know you're going to wreck...!!! At least he got a kick out of it....

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #23  
Years and years ago I saw a scraper laying on it's side on an Interstate hiway build project. I was running a dump truck. All day as I passed it the mechanics were scurrying around the machine. They rigged up some sort of oil pickup system for the engines so it would run laying on it's side without losing oil pressure. Then they squirmed it around and got it back on it's feet with it's own power. I didn't get to see the actual flop back on it's wheels, but I was very impressed!!!!

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #24  
I was at Daytona speedway when they were repaving it a few years ago, they had a loader barrell roll from the top of turn four all the way to the apron. I have a crappy cellphone pic of it laying at the bottom. The operator was not injured, not sure his underwear survived.

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #25  
Very lucky, very cautious because for 32 years I've always been alone when operating my tractor. Nearest neighbor is 4.5 miles away, no land line phone, cell phone only works on the good days. You darn well know I'm cautious. I've come close a couple times but saw it coming and stopped right in my tracks. I've seen how stupid shortens the life span and I have no wish to go there.

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #27  
Years ago I watched some Native American Cat operators working on an impossible slope a half mile wide. (Bath County Pump Storage Project) The Cats had cables and winches to catch them - because they would flip end over end on this massive slope. The Cats had more than a ROPS, they had full steel cages. Drivers wore harnesses. I saw a cable break and understand why. The Cat flipped end over end at least 15 times coming down and ended upside down in the dirt at the bottom. The operator climbed out a minute later and joined a crew to flip it and get it back on the mountain.

That was a massive project... Biggest earthmoving project in the US in the 1980s. It has two giant earthen dams - the biggest is 465 feet high and a half mile wide at the base. That's a lot of dirt. The loaders they used were so big I could - and did - drive my car under them.

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #28  
I had a pucker incident a few weeks ago when clearing brush. My front right wheel dropped into a sudden hole I did not see under the brush. My rear wheels were already on a slope in the same direction. By chance the brush I had been clearing earlier hooked my backhoe boom swing lever and swung the backhoe to the right (downhill) side. I was able to stop and after a brief moment of teetering, I got my wits about me and reached back and swung the backhoe to the left side and extended the dipper (did not dare lower the boom). Then backed out of the hole swinging to square away with the slope.

I did had my ROPS and seat belt on, but it still goes to show you how quickly things can change.

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #29  
My pucker incident happened one morning when I started thinking too much about what I was going to do and not so much about what I was doing. When I start up my 580k I usually advance the hand throttle some while it's warming up. It was pretty warm out so I didn't wait very long before setting off. I was working on removing fill from a trench at the top of a hill. I would drive up, get a bucket load, and then slowly back down. This morning as I was driving up the front end felt very light. Normally I would just let off the throttle some to keep the front end down. As I said I forgot to return the hand throttle to the idle position so as I let off the front still went up. Luckily it was wide open so I got use to leaving the outriggers down near the ground. Before I could find the hand throttle it tipped to the point where the center pivot for the backhoe was planted in the dirt and it started to lean onto one of the outriggers. After about 10 seconds of panic I turned around so I could operate the outriggers and lowered them and pushed the front end back to the ground. As I was doing this I had a great view of the ground out the back window. After that I decided I would back up the hill and use the backhoe to drag the dirt down the hill to where it was flat before using the loader to remove it.

I know the normal rule at TBN, no picture then it didn't happen but there was no way I was going to get a picture. After that I make a simple check list before setting off.

/ Tipping butt pucker!! #30  
I know the normal rule at TBN, no picture then it didn't happen but there was no way I was going to get a picture..

Same as me, and as it turned out I had left my iPhone charging up in my pickup anyway. A lot of help it would have been.