Top link extension on the tractor.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #41  
The top link bracket where it's attached to tractor to top link pin is a lever. Extending the lever creates more uneven pressure distribution on the casting and bolts. Pressure remains the same distribution does not. Potential for breakage increases.

Easier to bring Fred to the mountain than to bring the mountain to Fred. Safe to extend the top link and not safe to extend the tractor bracket.

SmartSelect_20201006-172129_Squid.jpg

Last edited:
   / Top link extension on the tractor. #42  
The top link bracket where it's attached to tractor to top link pin is a lever. Extending the lever creates more uneven pressure distribution on the casting and bolts. Pressure remains the same distribution does not. Potential for breakage increases.

Easier to bring Fred to the mountain than to bring the mountain to Fred. Safe to extend the top link and not safe to extend the tractor bracket.

View attachment 672182

I disagree. There is very, very little upward or downward or sideways component of force on it. By far the majority of the force on the top link anchor point is straight outward from the tractor. No reason to think that extending the top link anchor point outward would create any problem. Regardless of that discussion, the quick hitch is simply not worth ANY of these problems however great or small.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #43  

View attachment 672182

That's simply not true.

If there were no swivel pins involved, yes. But there are so no.

All the top link is ever doing is pulling straight, regardless of top link length. That's why those swivel points are used.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Top link extension on the tractor. #44  
Depending on forward reverse tractor motion and type of implement the pressure on the top link will be positive or negative. Depending on tractor 3pt arm location and implement type the top link can be straight, angled down or angled up. Common to run an implement slightly off center to cover one wheel track that will produce some side pressure. Also a loose arm setup will have some side to side motion.

The bracket pin is the pivot. It's like pulling nails with an 18 inch crowbar and then being handed a 36 inch one.

Too easy to get a longer low cost top link to correct length. For this example also too easy to modify the hydraulic cylinder end vs this extreme measure.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #45  
That's simply not true. Forces exerted on the tractor top link bracket do not change when adding an extender.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Top link extension on the tractor. #46  
Doesn't change?

SmartSelect_20201006-185733_Squid.jpg

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #47  
I concede.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #48  
I made a copy of Richards extender. Have been using it for a year. Thanks Richard!

So now I’m thinking of putting the extender on the quick hitch and not on the tractor.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #49  
I disagree. There is very, very little upward or downward or sideways component of force on it. By far the majority of the force on the top link anchor point is straight outward from the tractor. No reason to think that extending the top link anchor point outward would create any problem. Regardless of that discussion, the quick hitch is simply not worth ANY of these problems however great or small.

I love my pats qh . Implement changes went from a real pain to no problem .And i change them alot. A longer top link was 25 bucks at rk, I dont see what problems your talking about.

/ Top link extension on the tractor. #50  
I concede.

Well yes, Matt4644 has the vectors approx right and sure there is a little more of a lever in the extended anchor. Correct to concede. But the fact remains that those off-center components to the force vector are VERY small compared to the main component, straight to the rear -- so it just doesn't matter and is not at all "unsafe."