Tough on Husky chains today... ?

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ? #21  
Not to long ago posted by stihl on chain.

Above all else, STIHL is famed around the world for its chainsaws. Key to this success is the strength and excellence of its saw chains, developed and perfected through years of experience and craftsmanship. And the same principles of quality and prestige apply today.

How is a STIHL saw chain made?From raw materials to finished product, one of the most important parts of a saw chain are the rivet bolts, which arrive to our factory as wound up wire spools. After careful inspection, the rivets are cold-formed, which involves cutting, rolling and pressing them into shape at a low temperature.

The drive link, cutting tooth and connector are punched out of steel strips. The strips are quality inspected by hand on arrival, before processing through the press, where they are punched out of the steel strip. From here, we heat things up in the hardening furnace, which is used in many parts of the STIHL production process, especially when producing essential parts for saws.

Once hardened, the cutters move onto special grinding machinery, which has been developed in-house at STIHL. Each cutter is ground individually and stored, before undergoing cleaning at the washing plant.

As environmental protection is incredibly important to us at STIHL, we have invested heavily in wastewater treatment systems in both of our factories. We are meticulous about the removal of heavy metals and other residues from the waste water.

Once clean, our saw chains are inspected once again before being cut to length (known as rolls) and sent to storage in our logistics department in 100ft rolls. Again, these rolls will be checked by the highly-skilled maintenance technicians, removing any problems as well as performing general maintenance work.

At STIHL, our employees are experts, so who better to check that our products are expertly built? Each employee is responsible for the quality of what they build, so toolmakers will examine their tools to ensure they deliver the high-quality standards that are expected of them. Individual parts and finished chains alike are inspected throughout production and at random.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our tools, so the processes and traditions involved in their development are at the heart of our business. STIHL’s factories, in the Swiss towns of Bronschhofen and Wil, practice customary swiss precision to ensure every product meets our meticulous standards.

schainnn.jpg
schainnnn.jpg
schainnnnn.jpg

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ?
It sound like you didn't have the tool to remove the cover and loosen up the bar to make sure the chain was properly on the sprocket?
I have the correct tools, and the chain was put back on both sprockets and into the bar guides. The nicked up drive lugs were binding in the bar. Not bad, but enough... My fault was letting the chains get a little too loose, and ticking the sides of small feeders coming off the logs, which kicked them off. With my Husky saws running so good, I don't need to stop and fiddle with 'em. I just keep sawing. I got a new Dremmel grinder tip, but I still need to find my Dremmel - moved from Illinois but still in a box somewhere...

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ? #23  
Another read on stihl chain.

Good cutting performance is dependent on a high-quality saw chain. Another important factor is how the engine unit, guide bar and saw chain interact. That is why STIHL manufacturers all of its saw chains itself so we can guarantee these factors are in perfect harmony.

Our saw chains are made in STIHL factories in Wil and Bronschhofen in Switzerland using specially developed machinery. Swiss precision ensures that our saw chains are produced to the highest quality standards.

These are the steps at how a saw chain is made - from the raw materials right through to the finished product:

1) The rivet bolts are delivered on spools and carefully inspected doing the incoming goods inspection. The rivet bolts are then cold formed.

2) Strip steel must be passed through a quality check and approved for production for all the blanked parts of the saw chain. The cutter, connector and drive link are blanked from raw materials in the blanking shop.

All STIHL employees are responsible for the quality of whatever they produce. For example, toolmakers examine whether the tools deliver the high quality standards that are expected of them.

3) The next step is hardening the parts in the hardening furnace.

4) After the parts are hardened, they need to be ground. Each cutter must be ground individually and automatically stored on a special machine developed in-house at STIHL.

5) The components of the chain are cleaned and inspected several times during production. They are now ready for assembly!

A fundamental part of day-to-day work in the chain plant is quality assurance. Individual parts, as well as finished chains, are inspected randomly throughout the process.

6) Some of the chains leave the plant as finished products that have been cut to length, known as loops. A special packaging machine ensures chains are placed in boxes correctly. Otherwise, they are stored in the logistics building in 100-foot rolls.

"Our products enjoy success all over the world and live up to the high quality that STIHL is known for. Every single member of our team makes their own contribution to this - and that is a great source of pride for me." - Joachim Zappe, Managing Director STIHL Kettenwerk Switzerland

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ? #24  
When I get tired and just being lazy and see the chain getting loose but I continued anyways. Is when I sometimes throw a chain. I try and not do that anymore now days. But did when younger.

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ? #25  
When I get tired and just being lazy and see the chain getting loose but I continued anyways. Is when I sometimes throw a chain. I try and not do that anymore now days. But did when younger.
I throw chains when trying to clear room to work and some small sticks/vine/briar snatches the chain right off. Not the right tool but I have the saw in hand and running.

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ? #26  
Told you what I saw on 3/8 050 chain. Stihl and Oregon.

Never seen your issue you been TOLD on 3/8 050 here.

Do you even take chains apart or make chains or just rely on dealer info they tell you?

Guess I could pull both out again and check. But not feeling the need.

I know what works for me.
It has been my personal experience that the .063 Oregon presets have bigger rivet diameter than the Stihl .063 chains. that may of changed or I have been told it has.

Haven't had any experience with the Stihl .050 3/8lp series beside just doing customer sharpens. Just comparing what I have personally experienced with the Stihl .063 3/8 full size cutter chains. Until the last few years Stihl didn't use .050 on their .325 or .375 chains. It was all .063

Was talking to a buddy that worked at a Stihl dealer from 1987 to 2017 before the new dealer owner laid him off and he opened his own shop. Mentioned about the Oregon presets not fitting Stihl chain and his remark was they didn't use to fit but they do know.

And yes I have taken chains apart and spun then back together. Actually have about 900 feet in stock right now. Made a 24" and a 32" 3/8 .050 full skip for a customer today for his Dolmar 6400 that I sold him as a dealer a few years back.

/ Tough on Husky chains today... ? #27  
Good deal. I was talking only stihl and oregon 3/8 050 full size chain Not 3/8LP.

Like RSC and LG LGX. Is what I seen when testing stuff years back first hand.

If I ever run into the situation you describe I will be sure to let you know here. But like I said only seen that on 404 and both were oregon.

Have a good day.