tractor for 62 acres?

/ tractor for 62 acres? #11  
Bias here, but based on firm research. I wanted the most tractor for the money I could get ("bang for the buck") and am thrilled with my NH TC40DA with hydro, bucket, R4 tires and no supersteer. Local Deere dealers too arrogant to give me the time of day, and Kubota much more money for a little more tractor (IMHO). I almost went with the JD 4610 but after driving both and using the loader I chose the NH. As stated the visibility is awesome, the seat comfortable, controls easy and it pulls a 6' brush hog well. Don't know how to explain it, but the Deere felt more like a heavy tractor while the NH felt more user freindly. I know at some point my son will mow with it and my wife may hop on so that played a small role.

I have about 30 acres to cut and 15 more to maintain, and feel 40 HP is the lower end of the range for what I'll do. I almost went to the TC45DA, but up here in NY state the $1,800 difference wasn't worth it for the small gain. I strongly recommend a bucket with tooth bar if you'll be doing any serious scooping/grabbing/destruction and clearing. I was on the fence about hydro for a long time, but I'm soooooooooooooo glad I got it.

As a final say, the dealer you choose is so very, very important. I think most would agree they're all good machines so the dealer makes a big difference.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #12  
good morning,
If you can, look at the ZETOR units. I think you will be surprised by the quality and pricing /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. The fel is the best i have looked at (the frame runs the lenght of the tractor). Parts usually in one day. Fit and finish excellent. Axle housings HUGE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif VERY competitive pricing and their dealers are aggressive................

good luck,
bluebonnet2

/ tractor for 62 acres?
Thanks for all the information. I'll look into some of the bigger stuff. $$$ might become an issue though.

My land is heavily wooded and has a very large creek/small river running through it. Once I get everything mowed once and a ford built across the creek, it shouldn't be too hard to maintain. I would like something that would pull a 6' mower, but not sure I can afford it. $18K-$19K would be my max. I have a 2000 Jeep wrangler I have to sell first though. I would replace that payment with a tractor payment.

My local rent-all store has a JD4310 to rent. I may rent it one weekend and see what it is like. It is only $135 for a day and I think I could get a significant chunk taken care of in that amount of time.

Thanks,
Dave

/ tractor for 62 acres? #14  
Dave don't over look a Kioti. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #15  
Dave,

Welcome to TBN. I recommend filling out your profile with some more information -- mainly where you are located, for many times when advice needs to be given, it helps to know where you are located. I realize you said you are in Indiana, but not everyone will read this thread and remember this information.

I also believe you will need a larger tractor. I would get a tractor with a PTO HP of at least 50 -- that way if you find a great deal on a 15' flexwing mower, you will have the horses to run it. You may only think you need a 6' mower, but when you want to keep things looking nicer and mow more often and it is taking you days to mow, you may want to upgrade to something larger.

Look into used -- there is nothing wrong with older equipment if it is maintained. In the future if money becomes less of an issue then you can upgrade to new.

/ tractor for 62 acres?
I would like the larger tractor, but financing may be the selling point for me. I was only going to buy 5 acres and then build a home, but the 62 acres were just too good of deal to pass up:) Of course now I need a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I need to win the lottery (guess I need to start playing first though). The JD dealer offer some pretty good rates, but I haven't checked with the NH dealer yet.

Thanks,
Dave

/ tractor for 62 acres? #17  
willy1947, Is buying used out of the question? I think you could possibly buy a used lower hour tractor possibly with the implements in the package deal, And for the size of your property I cast my vote for the 40-50 hp range also... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #18  
I don't see a problem with a bigger CUT since most of your land is wooded. It's really like you have 20 acres not 62 acres. I don't see how you would get a very big tractor into the woods if you wanted to do something in there anyway.

/ tractor for 62 acres?
A used tractor isn't out of the question. But my local dealers do not sell "packages" and the used selection is extremely slim. The JD dealer doesn't even have any used tractors and does not like to trade for one.

The only thing keeping me from a used one, is the financing. I don't think I can get a very good rate on a used one. I was hoping to stay around $300 a month. What I can afford cash isn't much, maybe a Ford 8N, 9N, or MF T0-20.

I considered buying my trailer and mower with cash and then financing the tractor. My JD dealer only wants to sell me a $1300 bush hog too.

Thoughts?

Getting into the woods with a 30 hp tractor would be easier, but it's not a show stopper. I have a 4x4 dually truck that will be traveling the same roads, so the bigger the tractor, the bigger the road /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've thought about some of the off brands too, but we don't have any local dealers that I know of. I have stopped an looked at one, but it seemed really narrow, cheap, and un-stable. NH and JD are high on my list because I have dealers right here in town. The NH is a really good one. What is funny, is everyone I know, with the exception of the NH/Ford owners, have went out of town to get their tractors. For me, I need to decide on the size of tractor, brand, and best way to pay for it. Then I'll go find the best price.

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave

/ tractor for 62 acres? #20  
i'm in same position, just bought 61 acres, been looking at kioti 3054 4wd. , i have 25 ac tillable the rest hills & hollars &woods located in poland, in. thanks, jim