tractor for 62 acres?

/ tractor for 62 acres? #21  
I don't know how pricing is today, but a few years ago I was shopping NH for a small tractor and found that I could buy a TN 65 for about the same price or less than a large boomer. If you haven't priced the smaller utility sized tractors you may be surprised at how they compare to the CUT's. Good luck.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #22  
Don't buy too small of a tractor. If you do you will be replacing it in the near future. You are trying to be penny wise and pound foolish. If the NH dealer is as good as you say, spend the money and get a 40+ hp NH.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #23  
I have 50 acres and I manage very well with a Kubota Grand L3010. I run a 6' Rear Finish Mower and a 5' bush hog with no problems. I like the inbetween size. This one seems just big enough, but not too big for mowing. Count me also as one happy camper that I discovered HST. If I were to choose again I would be sure to get HST even if I had to get a smaller tractor to keep it in the price range.
I looked for used for two years hoping to find a good deal. No luck at all. Good ones can be hard to find, and they sell FAST.
Good luck in your hunt.
Moon of Ohio

/ tractor for 62 acres? #24  
As my name kind of indicates I have a 451 Massey it is a 44 pto hp tractor give or take a few hp. I paid 14500 with a 6 ft International Bushog. It will pull the 7ft Vicon disc mower with no problem. It is a lower profile tractor than most of it competors and also heavier. This was important to me I have 45 acres a poultry house that this tractor works great in.
It is not as nice as most of the others I looked at and I looked at all the big guys. But it worked the best for me in the end.
I looked heavy at Kuboata there finacing in my opinon was second to none so look at these.
WE managed 150 acres with a 135 Massey for about 15 years
key word managed we let the cows and horeses do most of the work. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #25  
Willy I would say go for a 40 or 45 horse compact. With 20 acres of field that machine with do you just fine I think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've sent you a PM(private message). Just in case you haven't used the PM resource yet; go to the My Home link above and check out your PM's on your home page. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck on getting a tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #26  
Dont get fooled into buying a compact Willy, some here say a large boomer like TC45 might do the job, maybe it could but why pay top $ for a boomer when you can get a TN , the price tag isnt that much more , that is one real workhorse, dont expect to mow the lawn around the house with it but then a large boomer is no trimmer either. Go for the real thing!!!

/ tractor for 62 acres? #27  
You've really set up a challenging set of circumstances:

1. 62 acres
2. mow 15-20 acres
3. driveway maintenance
4. building house
5. $18k to $19k total.
6. $2k to $3k for trailer
7. 4wd
8. loader
9. lots of trees
10. little (5') rotary cutter
11. boxblade or rear blade
12. etc., etc., etc.

Wow! You don't need a tractor, you need a bigger wallet. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, I think your budget is gonna get busted. For a new tractor, you need to start about $25k. That will get you into the range you really need. Of course, if you are serious about the small cutter and just a little boxblading, your 30 HP tractor might be okay. Just set aside a lot of time for your jobs because you are going to get a lot of seat time with a small tractor and cutter.

Here are some things to think about. How much work will you do in the trees? If doing a lot, a high exhaust pipe, canopy, or cab may not be a wise choice. Keep your tractor as low and compact as possible to fit into as many tight spots as you are likely to find.

40 hp is a lot more than 30. You might not feel a major difference with a 5 HP difference, but you will notice a big difference in the weight and feel of the larger tractor with 10 more HP.

Do you plan to lift loads over 1,000#? A 40 HP tractor will let you lift 3PH loads of over a ton and loader lift of 3/4 ton. At 30 HP you will not have nearly the lift nor the stability of the larger/heavier tractor. If you want serious lifting above a ton on both ends, you need to go above the compacts to the the 50-65 HP range.

Your challenges with 62 acres are going to be plenty. If I absolutely only had $18k to spend. I look for used tractors and try that route first for the best tractor I could find. If you must have a new tractor, I'd look at the bare bones tractors like the NH TC30 and JD7xx.

To me, your decisions and choices are a lot tougher than buying a car or truck. Remember, you bought a Dodge 3500 instead of a 1500 for a reason. Buying the right tractor is just as important and may be around longer than your truck. You just can't go wrong buying the right tractor to fit your job.

/ tractor for 62 acres? #28  
I was in a similar situation. I have 41 acres close to my house and 20 acres about 20 miles away. So here are a few of my thoughts.

I have a 48 horsepower Century 3045, it has the same engine as the John Deere 4710, the Yanmar 4TNE88. To me it is about perfect for this size of land. It is small enough to get into tight places and heavy duty enough to do the tough work. It weighs 3890 lbs without the loader. The loader adds another 1200 lbs. So it is a heavy stout machine. Someone commented that you can not do much loader work with a compact tractor. I could not disagree more. With a tooth bar on this machine it digs amazingly well.

I paid less than $18000 for the Century 3045, with the C-50 hl loader and a 6' boxblade delivered to my house. It comes with a 2 year 1000 hour full warrenty.

I run a 6' rotary cutter with no problems.

I have used it to rebuild a beaver washout on my lake, move tons of rocks and dig out a couple more tons of rock, put in 4 culverts, rip out 1/2 mile of fence, and clear out heavy brush for a road.

I agree with the other posts, I would not go any smaller than around the 40 to 50 horsepower tractor.

Just my 2 cents.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #29  
Duane, do you have a Century dealer close-by? I certainly can't find fault with your tractor's price or performance. Having a close dealer would be really important to me. Other than that, with a tight budget, the Century sounds like a good choice. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ tractor for 62 acres? #30  
I have 2 Century dealers and 2 Branson dealers within 100 miles of me. I buy and deal with Creek County Equipment. He is not the closest dealer to me, but I feel he really tries to give me his best prices up front and is concerned about my needs, and all the money he has saved me more than pays for the gas for the little extra drive time. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif