Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?
Tractors I'm onto are in: KS, IN and OH. I've been around the world on airplanes, cars, MC's etc. but never done an 809 mile trip on a tractor?:laughing:
Only the OH tractor has that possible and it's not real logical even for that one as a few miles to the bridge from guys farm.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #12  
I searched for rentals when I needed to move my B26 TLb from south Louisiana to my home in Ark. Due to the wheel width, nothing would work. I ended buying a 20 foot flatbed trailer with dual 6K axles and brakes on both wheels. Lots more trailer than I needed for the B26 but I can also haul my P 7010 on it.
I would suggest that you look for a good trailer to buy because you will sooner or later need to haul your tractor again.

Maybe so, but I'm my own mechanic and had my old tractor for ~14 years and never hauled it anywhere.
I'm at the point of lying about a U-haul or buying one as it stands. I'm at that age where you get rid of stuff not buy more!

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #14  
Maybe so, but I'm my own mechanic and had my old tractor for ~14 years and never hauled it anywhere.
I'm at the point of lying about a U-haul or buying one as it stands. I'm at that age where you get rid of stuff not buy more!

What age is that, "where you get rid of stuff not buy more"?
I am almost 77, and bought myself a new 14K equipment trailer 2 years ago ( after...... I paid $1150 to have a tractor delivered to me).
When it comes to getting "rid of stuff", that will be a problem for my children.
At this point in my life, if I want it, and if I can afford it, I buy it!

If you have had good results with a trucking company that ships tractors, I'd like to hear from you.
I know how to do web searches FWIW so looking for actual good results and pricing.
I actually have shipped many wrecked cars over the years but typically they are not tractor haulers as different trailers involved.
I'm also aware that many of the freight brokers out there can be a PITA at times and wear you out with phone calls.
Please share your good results. I'm thinking I'll move a tractor from KS to KY.

What age is that, "where you get rid of stuff not buy more"?
I am almost 77, and bought myself a new 14K equipment trailer 2 years ago ( after...... I paid $1150 to have a tractor delivered to me).
When it comes to getting "rid of stuff", that will be a problem for my children.
At this point in my life, if I want it, and if I can afford it, I buy it!

I'm gonna be 74 and much more of a tightwad than you. Never will this guy pay $1150 for a delivery like you mention. About the most I ever paid to ship a car was from WA to KY for like $650.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #17  
I bought my tractor in PA and drove 10 hours round trip to get it. Used a U-Haul trailer to tow it home. Had the tractor dealer measure the wheel width to make sure it would fit the open style trailer. Had to load the tractor backwards onto the trailer to get the weight right. Trip went well, and once home I drove the tractor off the trailer, and the trailer popped off the hitch ball. Did a double take when I realized the nut and lock washer holding the ball onto the hitch was gone. I had checked it when we loaded the tractor in PA. I can only surmise that the surge brakes on the U-Haul trailer somehow caused the ball to turn and loosen the nut. So check the hitch and ball while you travel. Very glad we loaded the tractor so it was heavy on the hitch side! Never had this problem before or since, so that's why I think it was the surge brakes.

My choices so far are U-haul auto transport and lie and hope i don't have a wreck or buy a trailer. They just don't rent across state lines-period!!! I know the measurements and that a U-haul will work so I may do the on a one way or i may buy & resell, we'll see. Trucking it via common carrier flatbed is pricey but I'm looking at that one just to know the big picture.
U-haul equipment gets varied attention and can be newish & perfect or at the end of it's useful life span. I've rented a bunch of transporters to haul wrecks.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #19  
If the guy you are buying it from still has one of his trailers, maybe he will move it across the state line for you?

Zing the trailers mentioned by me are far away and not part of the situation in OH. That tractor has more hours, similar price and less interest anyway. it's possible i could hire a local rollback for that one but still a pricey choice.
One dilemma of buying a trailer is simple fact that the more commonly available car hauler trailers which are also cheaper, haul with higher mpg's and far more saleable when I'm done with it, than a 5,000# axles trailer, is that the DK40 weighs 4,000# plus a loader plus a box blade which puts my load right on or just past the limit for most car haulers what with 3,500# axles, i.e. 7,000# gross weight limits.