Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?
FYI: I found that Lowe's has the lever over load binders at nearly the same price as HF. HF does the 20% off thing-Lowe's I do the veterans discount which easily setup online and gets you 10% off most items-why didn't I do that long ago? TSC is higher. gasoline to pick them up matters too for me as most sellers are not free shipping if the price is OK too. I'm going with the nylon straps on bucket and box blade.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #32  
Just keep a eye on where your straps run on your load. Straps are easily cut by what you might assume is a dull corner on a item. Best to not have the strap rub on anything.

I use the smaller straps all the time. On MC's I use something called soft straps to protect the machine but not logical for a tractor attachment,etc..

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #34  
Just keep a eye on where your straps run on your load. Straps are easily cut by what you might assume is a dull corner on a item. Best to not have the strap rub on anything.
I switched to chains only after nearly cutting a 15k lbs strap in half on the rounded edge of the front "bumper" on my old L3200. Just to many sharp & not so sharp edges to cut a strap on.

Legally you need chain on any metal loads over 10,000lbs. Most of us don't hit those CDL type restrictions, but I've started following them anyway.

I was doing 2 chains up front, backing the tractor up to get em good & tight before setting the parking brake. Then chain up the rear with 2 chains & lock those down with ratchet binders. Then a chain & binder over the loader & another over any 3pt impliment. Tot the fastest or easiest way, but it was locked down solid & not coming loose.

Just upgraded to a 22' power tilt deck over from my 16' tilting deck. So much more room to get a binder on a chain without being under the 3pt. Love it. Will likely keep the same basic plan for chaining though.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #35  
When you get into cdl load securing your opening up a can of worms. The condensed version is 4 points of contact and something on each impliments (loader, shredder etc). That doesn't mean 4 chains either. Can be two chains as long as there is slack between the two points.

Brett

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #36  
Did ya ever get the trailer and tractor home?

Came in yesterday, 9/14. The guy I bought my tractor from is a 15 year Lt. with the Kansas Highway Patrol and we loaded together on my trailer. Used two chains/two binders, one on drawbar, other on tow hook welded to frame front. he said that in their training it was stated that the stronger tie down used the fewest binders that achieved an effective cinch down. If the chain could not pull through the contact point then two binders would then be needed. I used double layers of cardboard under my two straps where they went over steel corners on bucket and box blade. Sort of interestingly, the tractor was picked up only a few mkiles from the Land Pride factory. In rain another protection would be needed. The perfect thing is those plastic corners I saw where palletized asphalt shingles were leaving the Missouri factory on I-70. They were a light red color and very heavy plastic. I saw one lying on the shoulder but decided to live to tell the story.
My Gatormade trailer tows nicely and easy to do speed limit safely. The only thing that moved during my 815 miles return was the 2x8 scrap I had under the bucket slid away from it's job but strap checks kept bucket tight. Wife met me at pavement where I unloaded to "supervise" the unloading. Said it "looks like a new one", which is true.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #38  
Glad it all came together for ya.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #39  
Legally you need chain on any metal loads over 10,000lbs. Most of us don't hit those CDL type restrictions, but I've started following them anyway.
Can you point me to a source on this? The only thing I have found close to this is a requirement that crushed cars be tied down with chain/cable (not straps), here is the handbook on securing steel coils, note that it says nothing about chains vs straps: Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 5: Metal Coils | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Here is the section on securing machinery and heavy equipment: Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 1: Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, and Machinery | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
It says:
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/drivers-handbook-cargo-securement-chapter-10-heavy-vehicles-equipment said:
Tiedown requirements
* Restrain cargo using a minimum of four tiedowns, each having a WLL of at least 2,268 kg (5,000 lb.).
Prevents cargo movement in the side-to-side, forward, rearward, and vertical directions.
* Attach tiedowns:
Either at the front and rear of the vehicle.
Or at the mounting points on the vehicle designed for that purpose.

Aaron Z

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #40  
Can you point me to a source on this? The only thing I have found close to this is a requirement that crushed cars be tied down with chain/cable (not straps), here is the handbook on securing steel coils, note that it says nothing about chains vs straps: Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 5: Metal Coils | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Here is the section on securing machinery and heavy equipment: Driver's Handbook on Cargo Securement - Chapter 1: Heavy Vehicles, Equipment, and Machinery | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
It says:

Aaron Z
No I can't. I'm just repeating what I've been told. There is a chance that's not necessarily true.

I saw my 15,000lbs rated straps cut in half from a 15 minute test ride tied down over a not even remotely close to sharp corner on a bumper on my old L3200. After that I decided never to use straps on any heavy metal stuff again, even if it wasn't remotely sharp. I've been repeating the chains on 10klbs metal loads requirement thing not having confirm it myself as I understand the need & the risk of traps.