Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery...

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #21  
Re: Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery,,,

I don't think I would ever run that low of a percentage on a diesel engine.
I think most sources recommend a minimum of 30% which would give you about a 10% improvement.

I have to ask "why 30%"? The Fordson handbook suggests draining the system when frost is expected. Then refill with clean water prior to use. ;-)

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery...

You probably have something that will repeat itself.

I agree,, I will be looking for a cause, and watching the temp gauge a LOT more in the future,,, :confused2:

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #23  

Flail mowers throw the grass clippings forward, they are then sucked up by the fan which coats the front of the radiator with fine clippings . I have to stop at least 6 times a day to clean mine or it will get hot . I have tried insect screen to some good, but it still gets past .

Tip, turn your tractor down wind when cleaning the radiator of clippings, they will just blow away in the wind .
Tip 2, NEVER hose out the core and then work with it still wet, the dust will turn to mud and then heat harden and it is a huge pain to get it out again . Try putting a torchlight on the core in the dark of night and see if you can see the light from the other side . You may need a helper .

I have never had a clipping or other thing in the grill from flail mowing,,
I think the front of my 584 is WAY too far in front of the flail for that to happen.

I have collected seeds, seed heads, and similar debris from mowing grass that is 4 feet tall.
When that happened, I put the loader back on, and carry the bucket at 18 inches high,, to knock the tall stuff away from the grill.
Like this,,

VJNNguZ.jpg

Grass, and stumps, are treated the same!! :laughing:

ZtDSgCa.jpg

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #26  

Sorry if already mentioned, but perhaps the fan belt is a little loose?

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #27  

Possible worn water pump impeller not providing proper coolant flow? Would be interesting to use a non-contact infrared thermometer and take multiple temp readings at different points on the radiator. You may find a wide variance due to lower part of radiator internally filled with gunk? May only be cooling with upper 6-75% of radiator?

Sorry if already mentioned, but perhaps the fan belt is a little loose?

The belt was not totally snug,, I tightened it today,, I think the belt was new about three years ago.,,,

Possible worn water pump impeller not providing proper coolant flow? Would be interesting to use a non-contact infrared thermometer and take multiple temp readings at different points on the radiator. You may find a wide variance due to lower part of radiator internally filled with gunk? May only be cooling with upper 6-75% of radiator?

I do have the non-contact thermometer,, I will check the radiator the next mowing.

With the rain we received in the last two days, I may be mowing in less than 4 weeks,, rather than the usual 6-8 weeks this late in the summer,,
I will be checking it then.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #29  

I'm suggesting not waiting until overheat happens again, just warm the tractor up and measure temps from top to bottom on the radiator. I'm guessing you have either a water flow or a heat transfer concern where the radiator just isn't able to release the heat fast enough.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #30  

If you want to wash out the radiator, blow it out as much as possible first and then try to get it dry before going to the field. It can get pretty packed into the radiator fins if it is still wet when the dirt starts getting in...