Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery...

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #31  
Re: Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery,,,

Tractor is just trying to tell you that it was too nice of a day to be working. :)

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery...

Tractor is just trying to tell you that it was too nice of a day to be working. :)

Actually, it was too hot to do manual labor,, so I was driving around on the tractor so that I would stay cool,,,
the tractor did not like that approach,,, :eek:

:laughing:

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #33  

On thing you could do is take the radiator to a shop and have it professionally cleaned. They can also check flow rate.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #34  

Water pump impellers do erode with age. I would remove the radiator and have it cleaned and pressure tested. I had mine done (it had a bullet hole in it). While the rad is out, remove the water pump and inspect the thermostat and impeller. I work in the heat (100F.) with a flail mower mowing high bush and grass with the PTO pretty well loaded and the tractor in 3 low. I notice no perceptible increase in temperature when working the Perkins hard. Also, my motor oil shows no signs of high heat. The cooling systems in tractors are designed to shed lots of extra heat. You should not experience any overheating on a tractor with a properly operating cooling system regardless of ambient temperature, the coolant used or how you load it.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #35  

I have had the tractor 20 years (it is a total of 40 years old), and yesterday, for the second time ever,, the tractor overheated,,,:eek:

Qb0SJVq.jpg

I have checked/maintained all the usual things,, I think,,,
Clean engine oil and filter
Clean hydraulic oil and filter earlier this summer,
No phantom hydraulic load from a valve being left engaged (I have done that before,, it makes noise),
Radiator clean, and full,
The flail mower turns as free as usual,

The grass is thick, but, not overly tall, I cut it 5-6 weeks ago,
I was not cutting lower than usual,

I had to cut in 3rd gear, rather than 4th gear, to keep it from overheating.

The temp gauge only moves about an additional 10% of the possible movement (it does not go "full over")

The overheating shows itself as the engine coughs and sputters,, making less power,,
I quickly disengage the mower, and let the tractor idle for 5-10 minutes,
yesterday, it was 93+ degrees when it happened,, so I just put the tractor away when it happened,,
It mowed fine this morning, when I finished up what I had left yesterday. I did stay in 3rd gear.

So could the high air temp have caused the overheating?
I never noticed the mid 90's or less temp causing a tractor to overheat before,,,

Is my 40 year old tractor "just old" and this type overheating going to be the new norm?
Could the new low sulfur fuel be causing the overheating, as compared to what the machine was designed for?

Any help would be appreciated,,, :thumbsup:

Any chance there is a gasket leak into the cooling system? It does not take much and can be hard to find.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #36  

Many folks think their radiator is clean because they blew off the chaff and everything visible. Really need to spray some "Purple Power" or similar cleaner on the fins and let it set for 10 minutes, then rinse off. When the material gets on the fins it requires soaking to get it ALL off.

I would suggest trying D2Cat advice. Last summer for the first time in 10 years my tractor began overheating on a regular basis while mowing. The radiator looked clean and I could blow air through it with a compressor but after removing the radiator I realized it was plugged with years of seed heads. I used air conditioner coil cleaner. It was amazing what came out of the fins. I have had no problems with overheating since. BTW that is a great looking tractor. That is what a tractor should look like.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery...

Any chance there is a gasket leak into the cooling system? It does not take much and can be hard to find.

Out of boredom, I will check the coolant 4-6 times a year,, the coolant never drops.

I would suggest trying D2Cat advice. Last summer for the first time in 10 years my tractor began overheating on a regular basis while mowing. The radiator looked clean and I could blow air through it with a compressor but after removing the radiator I realized it was plugged with years of seed heads. I used air conditioner coil cleaner. It was amazing what came out of the fins. I have had no problems with overheating since. BTW that is a great looking tractor. That is what a tractor should look like.

I will be looking at the rad soon, I may have to remove it,, and clean it better,,
it is a good looking tractor, I purchased it 5 minutes after I first saw it,, and the tractor did not even run at that time (dead battery),,, :laughing:

We jump started it, and I drove it almost 30 miles to get it home,,
I was not leaving it there for him to get a better offer, and sell it to someone else!! :eek:

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #38  

If there is a head gasket leak into the coolant the coolant level should not change unless. You have a boil over.

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #39  
After you replace thermostat clean screens check your air filter consider a head gasket failure especially if it overheats and then the temp gauge falls and quickly rises again 40 years might be too much

/ Tractor OVERHEATING Mystery... #40  
So, how did the overheating mystery turn out?