Tractor Research this Weekend

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #11  
Remember that the cost of that FEL, or even an upgrade to a Class II Boomer, averaged over 60 months may not increase your monthly payments that much.
And don't forget that the new TC24 should be showing up soon.

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #12  
John,
Kubota is currently running a rebate program. I don't know the amount on the B-7500. As a point of reference I purchased mine for $9700 HST, folable ROPs, three front suitcase weights, Turfs.
Good luck!!! The search is half the fun/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #13  
Jon - Here's a wild idea/w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif...... Why don't you adjust your withholding(interest free loan to the gov./w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif)....take the extra money in your paycheck and use it to cover(all or partial) the extra amount to finance your loader now/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. From everything I've been learning.....FELs are less expensive to buy in the package up front. C

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #14  
Jon,

I'm also shopping a new tractor. I've got 800 ft of gravel road to maintain and 5 acres to mow (2 acres finish mowing and 3 acres brush hog) plus misc dirt work and tree clearing. I'm looking in the 25-30 hp range so I'm curious about what brought you to the conclusion to go with a less hp. I consider going smaller at times, usually when I'm feeling quilty about dropping so much money, but so far I've been able to shake it off and remind myself that giving up the extra weight and hp may not pay off in the long run.

I did have a couple of dealers suggest that I could probably get-by with less tractor, but they all felt I could easily go either way. I'm surprised that with your 9 acres, less than 25-30 hp is still optional.

/ Tractor Research this Weekend
I just looked at the work I intend to do *most* of the time. The most common task I do is to mow about 3 acres once a week.

Once every month (maybe a little less) I mow the other 6 acres. So if that takes a little longer than with a bigger machine, it doesnt effect me that much. I couldn't justify the additional money to be able to mow the extra space in 3 hours as compared to 4 (my estimates, could be WAY off?).

The other main task, maintaining the driveway is, hopefully, a once or twice a year event. Again, if it takes a little longer its not a big deal. I plan on hiring a dozer to shape up the road initially, so that a smaller tactor will be able to maintain it, if I keep up with it, easily.

Moving food to our animals is no problem as a 3pt platform can easily carry a couple of bales of hay and a bag of feed. I have water available close the the animals, so I wont be hauling it. Water is incredibly heavy though, so if you move alot of it, that could justify a bigger tractor, or at least a trailer.

With all that said, I still *want* a bigger tractor. However, since I dont have unlimited funds, I needed to justify every dollar. Im hoping to be able to dicker with the dealer some and come in at about 11K for the TC18 tractor and mower, which is about $400 less than his initial price. To that Ill add, as they are needed, a carry-all platform, boom pole, post hole digger and a rear blade. Long term Ill eventually add a FEL, tiller, and a box blade to that list. Any of these tractors can handle those attachments, if properly sized, with ease.

This is my first tractor, and I hope this explains some of my thought process in selecting this size of tractor for my needs. If anyone out there sees any major flaws, please speak up!

Jon

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #16  
Jon,

Rule 1. Cash is king

It has often been said here that there isn't anything larger tractor can do that a smaller one can't, provided you take smaller bites. Sounds like you have thought hard about the solution that gets the job done in a reasonable time. I don't see any flaws in your thinking.

I feel your pain, I am trying to step up from my garden tractor to get more done quicker on my 4 acres. There isn't anything that I can't do around the house with my lawnmower, wheelbarrow, shovel, chainsaw etc. that I could do with a Compact Utility. I have been trying to convince my fiancee that the CUT will do it faster.

For those following the "is it extravagant" thread, last night she asked me to put together a budget showing all our expenses and how the tractor would fit into that. Of course the budget is balanced (including setting aside some savings for the furniture that SHE WANTS) & has cash to spare :)

Hazmat

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #17  
Jon,

Re-reading your post, I do think you are missing something. You probably want to consider some front weight to balance the rear implements.

hazmat

The dealer is going to fill the tires with calcium chloride. But I think I will add the front weight bracket to the tractor, and potentially the new TC18/21/24 brush guard. Depending on what they cost of course :)

Jon

I have been doing some calling around, and found a dealer about 40 miles away that has a John Deere 4110. So, Ill probably go on Saturday to check it out.

From the literature I have, the 4010 and the 4110 are very close to the same size/features. Just 1 1/2 hp seperate them.

There is also one of the converted Quality Farm and Fleet stores that is reopening as a Tractor Supply Co. very close to the dealer. Maybe I can pick up something good on a Grand Opening special. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jon

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #20  
<font color=blue> I have been trying to convince my fiancee that the CUT will do it faster.</font color=blue>

Of course you did tell her that having a CUT will give the two of you more time together and that you won't be too tired to do the things that she likes to do.... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif