Tractor Research this Weekend

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #31  
What size mower are you using. I was told for every foot of mower, you need 5 hp at the pto. I am also trying to decide between a 30hp tractor, or something smaller to get around my 5 acres, with much of the same work-fel work, mowing and using a scraper?? A dealer was the one who told me that you need 5hp for every foot of mower??

/ Tractor Research this Weekend
I dont believe the 5hp rule the dealer told you is what the manufacturers go by. All of the big 3 sell 60" mid mount mowers for their smallest tractors. The smallest mid mount sold, that I know of, is a 54" (4 1/2 ft) which by your dealers recomendation would require a 22.5 PTO HP Tractor, or about 27 gross hp.

The TC18/JD4010 both have 14 PTO HP, and both have the 60" MMM as an option. Not sure where the B7400 from Kubota falls, as noone seems to carry those.

Jon

/ Tractor Research this Weekend #33  
I have the BX2200 which is, of course, 22 HP and a 60" MMM.
The MM PTO has a very high speed. I run the tractor about 3/4 throttle and it does a great job with no bog down. Of course I don't hog with the MMM so I guess it's all what type of mower you plan on getting....... I would think that different types of gearing on different brands of mowers would definately make a difference on how much HP is needed as well as width......
Tom