Tractor rolled over on me this morning

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #1  

budepps3760

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810
I am stupid. Let's get that point made first. Was not wearing seatbelt which makes my stupidity greater.

Thankfully not seriously injured. Was bush hogging fire lanes to prepare for burning land next few months
My question is how do I roll it back over? No trees anywhere that I can hook a come along to in order to wrench it up.

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #2  
Glad you are okay! I lost a dear friend due to a rollover a few years ago.

Maybe find someone close with a large tractor and pull it back over?

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #3  
I am stupid. Let's get that point made first. Was not wearing seatbelt which makes my stupidity greater.

Thankfully not seriously injured. Was bush hogging fire lanes to prepare for burning land next few months
My question is how do I roll it back over? No trees anywhere that I can hook a come along to in order to wrench it up.

Glad you are on line and typing!

When out off-roading and no nearby trees some have used a post driven up at an angle deep enough to not pull out. Attach your come-along to that and stay out from under. But much easier if you can find a friend with a truck or tractor.

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #4  
Also since the tractor has been rolled for some time now, when you do get it back on its feet, look it over for damages and you will need to remove the glow plugs to allow any trapped oil to escape and manually rotate the crankshaft to reduce the possibility that oil is in the combustion chambers and will hydrolock and likely cause a bent crankshaft. Better to manually determine the engine is free before attempting a start up with one cylinder hydrolocked. Of course you can risk it as many of them don't have any problems when restarted, but it is up to you. Glad you made it OK.

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #5  
Can you drive in with a winch? A winch line strung over a fulcrum (6x6) and hooked over the top to the low side should be able to pull it back up and over. The 6x6 works to direct the pull vertically instead of just dragging it closer.

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #6  
If you shut it down shortly after or during, most likely the only damage was your pride and some sheet metal. But, when you do flip it back over, don't try to start it! Oil may have pooled in the combustion chamber and could hydrolock the engine if you try to crank it over.

My JD was laid on its side by either my uncle or father (nobody has 'fessed up yet) and clearly righted with a chain and excavator (I saw the spot where it hit and the tuffs of grass in the corners of the canopy). It still runs well, but blows blue smoke consistently and really smokes when the governor or throttle is pushed. If this was my primary machine, I'd be looking to re-ring it now.

Many ways to prevent hydrolock, but the safest way it to remove the glow plugs and spin the engine over by hand. Letting it sit may work, but may not.

Best of luck

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #7  
Either you need some kind of anchor or another vehicle. Don't do like so many people on Youtube. Pull it back onto it's feet and over on to the OTHER side!

Don't be in a hurry to do anything. Check the battery for leakage too.

/ Tractor rolled over on me this morning #8  
   / Tractor rolled over on me this morning #9  
Either you need some kind of anchor or another vehicle. Don't do like so many people on Youtube. Pull it back onto it's feet and over on to the OTHER side!

Don't be in a hurry to do anything. Check the battery for leakage too.

Yep, good advice.