Tractor Sizing and Loader question

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #1  

pheesh

I see a lot of reference to # of acres and how it applies to the size of the tractor you need. I'm in the market to purchase a new tractor. I have about 90 acres, of which approx 30 is pasture, 30 is wooded, and 30 is planted. I'll probably never have to mow the pasture (sheep), and the planted part is rented out to another farmer. The heaviest work I'd be doing would be manure clean out of a barn for about 80 sheep. Next woiuld be other things you use a tractor for (stumps, moving gravel, etc) This past year, I borrowed a JD 42 HP machine which did the job nicely. What I'm wondering is how much tractor would I need to be able to do this? Or does the bucket make that much difference, so I wouldn't need so much HP?

Also, Is the Kioti branded loader worth it or is it less expensive to go with a 3rd party loader?

Thanks.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #2  
For your jobs I would recommend the DK45S or larger. And because every Kioti loader on the DK45S and larger tractors is self leveling then I would highly recommend the Kioti loader. Hope this helps.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #3  
You mention stumps. If you really honestly want to use this tractor for stumping then we need to know the size of the stumps. But in general a large tractor is needed to stump and/or a backhoe and time. This one job will drive the whole tractor sizing. Do you think you could hire out the stump popping and just haul the stumps away with your tractor?

Scooping poop and spreading gravel can all be done quickly with a big machine or more slowly with a small one. So that's a personal choice.

I would get the Kioti loader just because you and Kioti both know that the tractor and frame can stand up to the capability of the Kioti loader.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #4  
That DK45s is sure a sharp tractor and you'll have plenty of room to maneauver it on 90 acres.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #5  
Dick says the DK35 would be fine for cleaning out the sheep and moving gravel. He uses his around his house and says it'll do anything he asks of it.
He also says you should use a backhoe for stump removal, that the loader isn't really designed for digging out stumps (unless of course they're small ones) Lifting them up once they're dug out, yes, but not really for digging them out.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #6  
Just out of curiosity what kind of sheep do you have? I have a couple of Shetland and a guard donkey. I hope to increase my pack; ooops I mean flock, this summer. ;-)

Regards, Jamie

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That DK45s is sure a sharp tractor and you'll have plenty of room to maneauver it on 90 acres. )</font>

I will second that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question
I probably have 10 or so stumps to take out in the first year. Nothing bigger that 10 inches in diameter. After that its mostly some nasty bush/trees (2"-3" but bunched) along fence lines. I had been pricing the DK35. Not enough?

Thanks,

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #9  
Mf place is 97 acres with about 25 in pasture, 10 in overgrown fields, and the rest in hardwood timber. I have the DK35 and it has been all the tractor I've needed. I had an old Massey 85 before and so far I haven't found anything the Massey could to that the DK35 couldn't. The Kioti has hauled logs out of the woods better than the Massey. With 4 wheel drive in low range I just hook up and go, and the smaller tractor is easier to get into places in the woods.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #10  
I've been doing this sort of stump and brush removal with a CK20 TLB. I'm quite sure a DK35 would be more than enough.