Tractor Sizing and Loader question

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #11  
I think a DK45 and even the 35 are larger then you need. A CK30 with a hydrostatic transmission could handle the jobs you've described. The HST and greater maneuverability would be better for the main task of barn cleaning and it would still have the weight and power to clear 3" brush and move lots of gravel. I haven't been keeping up with prices the last few months, but when I bought my tractor a CK30 HST with loader and backhoe was only slightly more then a DK45 with just the loader. I can say from experience a backhoe is just the ticket to remove stumps especially if they were cut too short to get much leverage when pushing or pulling. A CK25 or, as IslandTractor suggested, a CK20 would probably meet your needs.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #12  
You can get a very capable NON Self-leveling loader for the DK45s as well. If you put a 1470s loader on you could probably save a few pennies, but I don't know for sure. I don't know pricing. At any rate, I think a DK35 or CK30 would be big enough.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #13  
I agree with Jeff. A smaller tractor with a backhoe would likely be more efficient overall for what you are proposing to do than a larger tractor with just the FEL.

How much do sheep poop anyway? My CK20 FEL can lift over 1000lbs per bucket full. Seems to me that should handle the output of 80 sheep. I haven't tried a bucket of gravel yet but I am pretty sure I could lift a full bucket of that too. My rear tires are loaded and I usually have the BH on so balance would not be a problem.

For well under $20K you can get the CK20, FEL and BH. Very capable combo and more manuverable than the bigger units too. The CK25/CK30s with FEL/BH would be a few thousand more but don't add an awful lot of capacity for FEL work. Pulling ground engaging equipment they would clearly out perform the CK20 but that does not seem to be a major part of your work.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question
Thanks all for the advice. I'm leaning towards either the CK25 or CK30 (future expansion ;-) ) The ck20 would probably do. Economics and size (the barn not the tractor) is probably keeping me away from the DK series, though they do look good.

For the record, 80 suffolk sheep can poop a 20'x30'x6' pile when they are penned up for 3 months during lambing season. Its not the weight its the volume.

Is there such a thing as a manure fork for an FEL? i know you can rent them with a bobcat.

Thanks again.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #15  
<font color="blue"> Is there such a thing as a manure fork for an FEL? </font>

ATI advertises on this site and carries manure forks. The issue is the weight of the manual forks. You'll need to subtract off the weight of the forks from the loader lift capacity.

http://www.preseeder.com/attachments/

Don

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #16  
Pheesh,

My .02......., If you are gonna do alot of FEL scooping, a larger bucket than a CK30 may be in order. Don't get me wrong, i love my CK30, but the bucket is small when you have to move a large quanity of stuff from one place to another. I racked up 18 hrs in a few days piling then moving some gravel that had come off the County road after the last flood. Maybe a second "larger pooper scooper bucket" for a Ck would work better for your application.

RD

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #17  
Some sort of a light material bucket like they have for snow moving?

I too noticed the smallish bucket capacity when shuttling gravel. Plenty of power to lift more but the bucket is low on capacity. Normally not a problem.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #18  
Hello Pheesh, The Ck30 will handle your tasks mentioned no problem.. The k130 loader is 9cu ft, for you tasks if that wasnt enough you could always get a woods loader , they come in kioti orange and you could put the 1012 model on your ck30 and they come in 60 in, which is 11 cu ft or the 66 in which holds 12.1 cu ft.. I have the ck30 with the 60 in loader and its a very strong loader.. I will often heap the bucket with gravel , about 1500lb or 1/2 yard and it will lift that with no problem.. I have also pushed over many trees in the 6 in range and simply popped the root balls out with my toothbar , It has over 3000 lbs of breakout force.. Of course the best time to do this is in early spring when the ground is still soft, at least here in the NorthEast.. The loader is also the quick attach type, which will also take any of the woods quick attach accessories like the forks, bale spears,manure forks and many others.. Its up to your preference on shuttle or hst, i love the hst myself, it makes loader work a breeze.. Then you can decide if you want R1s or R4s , Each will have their advantages as well... Good luck..

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #19  
Holy sheep s**t, that alotta poop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dads got 3 donkeys and they make about that much all winter.

/ Tractor Sizing and Loader question #20  
A lot of poop yes but nothing even a small coyote couldn't move in a day. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif