Tractor Specifications

/ Tractor Specifications #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Has anyone ever prepared something like this picture of a spreadsheet for all the brands, or at least the Big 3?

18-127273-tractorstats.jpg

Attachments

• 18-127273-tractorstats.jpg
    18-127273-tractorstats.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 227
   / Tractor Specifications #2  
Mike,

I did something quite similiar for the hp range I was looking at (about 3 tractors/manufacturer). I found it very useful for my own comparisons. However it was pointed out that this "comparison" logic can be flawed due to how each company comes up with their measurements. You aren't always comparing 3ph capacity the same way, or the weight (particularily bad for comparison) is calculated based on a certain tire type etc.

Very hard to do equal comparisons.

Kevin

/ Tractor Specifications
I hadn't thought of that. I wonder, though, if it would still be useful?

/ Tractor Specifications #4  
I'm currently creating a spreadsheet similar to the one you attached. However, I'm only including the particular models that I'm interested in comparing. I'm putting the tractor model across the top of the columns, and all the information that I want to compare, such as the base price, gross hp, pto hp, etc. in the left hand column going down. I will also be adding my own rating system for various "intangibles". For example, I'm going to include a category called seat comfort. I will assign a numeric value to each category so that in the end, I will have two basic evaluators, price and numeric value. This way, I can compare the tractors side by side at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'd post a sample of it, but it isn't finished yet and it's on my home computer.

Kevin - I've heard the same thing about making comaprisons. But I figure that regardless of what process you use, the comparisons will always be a little suspect. So if I use the same criteria for each tractor, what difference will it make? It's for my benefit and to make my decision a little easier. Besides, we're never (or very seldom) going to know what the subtle little differences are between the manufacturers, so would it really make that much difference? For me, no it wouldn't.

Holy Cow! I didn't even realize that I made Platinum because of this post! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Thanks guys!!

/ Tractor Specifications #5  
I did a couple of years ago, but didn't retain it. I valued the columns & the TC33D came out on top. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tractor Specifications #6  
Golfgar,

<font color=blue>So if I use the same criteria for each tractor, what difference will it make? It's for my benefit and to make my decision a little easier.</font color=blue>

I absolutely agree with you!!! As I said I used a spreadsheet very much like that to aid me in my decision making. However, I think it is fair to note things like weight differences. You can not use your own criteria for how much a tractor weighs, you have to believe the "specs". I consider weight to be an indication of the overall quality of construction. If JD lists their weight in a completely different manner as Kubota is that impacting your decision incorrectly??? I'm not sure.

Kevin

/ Tractor Specifications #7  
Why not just wait for TractorByNet.com to offer the specification database? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif [hint] /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tractor Specifications #8  
<font color=blue>"Why not just wait for TractorByNet.com to offer the specification database?"</font color=blue>

O.K. When's that gonna be??? I'm ready now!! I need it - NOW!! Pleeeeaaaasssseeee?? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Tractor Specifications #9  
<font color=blue>"I consider weight to be an indication of the overall quality of construction."</font color=blue>

Kevin, I agree with you too. Using your example of weight, yes, I want the heavier machine too. I can't imagine that how JD (or anyone else) lists their weights vs how Kubota (or anyone else) lists theirs is going to make that much difference.

Sure, I understand that one manufacturer may have a certain type of tire and it could be filled, while the other manufacturers don't have their tires filled. That could mean an overall difference of upwards of 600 lbs. But then I would expect the manufacturer that includes the filled weight in the overall weight not to charge extra for filled tires and to at least note that filled tires are included in the total weight. Granted, that probably won't happen, and maybe this isn't the best example.

Generally speaking, I don't think (and please, if I'm wrong someone tell me!) that differences will make that much difference in the overall picture.

What difference does it make anyway. Muhammad's going to have the new database ready to go and that WILL SOLVE ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS"! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tractor Specifications #10  
It will get done as soon as we can put time to OCR work to get the specs converted from paper to a database. I have a massive amount of Kubota data, and a fair amount for John Deere and New Holland data as well. Work might start on it within a month. We have so many things on the table right now.