trailer controler

/ trailer controler #31  
In the event of say.. a brake line burst, do the integral controllers also still use the brake line sense for backup purposes?

9PS.. it would be nice if a brake controller was standard equipment from the factory... if someone is going to open my brake line it might as well be done when built and under warranty.. etc.. )

soundguy

The Ford controller uses brake pressure just like the Brake Max. My uncle made a bone head move and forgot to order the controller when he ordered his 2005 F-350 4x4. It was only a $165 option. Anyway when he went to install it on his truck, at nearly $600, he had to change the master cylinder because it uses a different on if equipped with the controller.

Its a steal at $165 from the factory. In my opinion it should be installed on all tow package equipped trucks.

I assume the one GM now has works much the same way and I believe Dodge now has one also from about 09 on. I am guessing it works the same way.

Chris

/ trailer controler #32  
Ford had a controller first from the factory now followed by GM and Dodge. As for the backup, you still have the little slide bar thing that all controllers have that will apply the trailer brakes for testing and as a back-up. I do agree with you that any vehicle that has a tow package should now have a factory brake controller. It would make all of us safer and they work much better.

As for tapping into a brake line its not a big deal. There are dozen of connections in a typical brake system already. All the Brake-Max is doing is undoing one of them, inserting a T, and tightening everything up. Its all quality components with flared fitting made for the specific vehicle you are putting it in.

Chris

/ trailer controler #33  
IMHO

Those who are new to towing or don't tow often should think harder about buying better controller. In loo of experience. A smarter controller could make all the difference in an emergency.

Brian

/ trailer controler #34  
That quote was from me a few years back. It was the first time I had seen it and was very impressed. After using one like the Ford Integrated Controller or the Max Brake its tough to go back. Like you said it just makes life easier and safer while doing it. I know its a lot of money. If I could justify them for my other 2 trucks I would get them but I just do not tow electric brake trailers that often with them. When I do tow using the FIC its a much nicer experience and I know the one Brake Max I installed in a Dmax is much happier pulling his 14,000# 5th wheel. He just got back from a 8,600 mile 5 week trip last Sunday.

Chris

Yea, I liked it so much I was just itching for a chance to reuse it :) Kinda funny on these threads how we decide which features no one can live without, yet other features no one should even consider purchasing.

/ trailer controler #35  
IMHO

Those who are new to towing or don't tow often should think harder about buying better controller. In loo of experience. A smarter controller could make all the difference in an emergency.

Brian

heck.. I'd be just happy if they had -ANY- controller.

I can't tell you how many 14-20' bumper pull trailers I see day in and day out that have bad wireing, 1 or no working tail lamps.. then when you get next to them in traffic, you see a 4 pin flat connector scabbed on.. IE.. no brakes.

with newer vehicles being pre wired from the factory for pig tail plug in's to get your controller installed ( with or without the instalation of a fuse or CB as well ), it's a wonder why some people still don't use a controller. even the older vehicles wasn't bad.. just locate power, ground, and the proper brake sense line.. then run a controller brake power line downt he body to your existing turn signal and stop lamp wires then get it wired on a 6 or 7 pin plug.. etc. that small amount of work, IMHO scares many away.. and they do without. I think the same people scared away by that would also be scared away by a brake line hookup unit.. that's my guess anyway.

In the end.. I wish everyone towing would have something.. even the bare minimum 3 led readout 50 $ basic timed controller with an intensity wheel and panic button... etc.

soundguy