Trailer???

/ Trailer??? #11  
I live in NC and not too long ago titled a homemade trailer at the DMV. Like this scenario I found a DEAL. DMV would not title with mobile home axles so I replaced with "real" axles. :D it was not expensive, less than $200 including lifetime tag IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Trailer??? #12  
First: Wow. That is a heavy duty trailer for a 16 footer. What are you planning on hauling with it?

...A very rare few actually will register their trailers, but only because they haul out of state regularly and other states require registration or will give you a fine even if your home state does not require it. Then you have to pay annual taxes and get a license plate for it. That's why nobody does it...

I am one of those few who has registered trailers (equipment and utility) as I may travel to another state. My tractor dealer is in NC and I have family in Ga. The SC DMV told me it was a one time charge and no annual fee. Annual fee time will be this fall for the new trailers so will see how it goes then. So for less than $100 per trailer I can take a trailer with its permanent plate anywhere I please with no travel interruptions.

/ Trailer???
Went and looked at the trailer this afternoon. It is nice. It has two new tires on it, brakes on two axles, 10" I beam main frame, 20' total including 4' self cleaning dovetail. Got him down on price to what I consider reasonable. He would even throw in the adjustable pintle receiver. I don't really need this heavy of a trailer but my 4610 SU tires are set out is too wide for a 82" trailer. Had to do that to facilitate the ROPS. Still debating to buy or not. If it was titled it would bring a whole lot more. His asking price was 2K.

/ Trailer??? #14  
Went and looked at the trailer this afternoon. It is nice. It has two new tires on it, brakes on two axles, 10" I beam main frame, 20' total including 4' self cleaning dovetail. Got him down on price to what I consider reasonable. He would even throw in the adjustable pintle receiver. I don't really need this heavy of a trailer but my 4610 SU tires are set out is too wide for a 82" trailer. Had to do that to facilitate the ROPS. Still debating to buy or not. If it was titled it would bring a whole lot more. His asking price was 2K.
What were the axles? If MH I would walk. If Budd type trailer axles I would give $1500 and convert the hubs to standard 6 lugs. That would cost about a grand for 7 tires, 7 wheels, and 6 hubs.

Chris

/ Trailer???
That is what I was thinking Chris. I asked him if they were MH axles or trailer type and he did not know for sure. What type of ID would I look for on the axle to show that is a trailer axle? I had that exact number in mind Chris and we got really close to it. I''m going to give him a call tonight to confirm the axle type.

/ Trailer??? #16  
Get underneath and look at how the brake backing plates are attached to the axle tubes. Usually, welded on means MH axle, bolted to a flange means HD trailer axles.

A weaker clue would be the tires. They may say "For mobile home use only." Some states won't register one with MH tires, as you are violating one of the equipment restrictions, just like having a 5K coupler on a 10K trailer.

Unbraked axle: Many states require brakes on all axles if the gross trailer weight is over 3000lbs.

Bruce

PS: Looks like NC has a performance test for those over 4K. See part "f" and then part "e".
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-124.html

/ Trailer???
Thanks Bruce. I am trying to verify axle type. I may end up driving my truck up there and check the axles out. The owner is honest and up front about it. It is very well made.

/ Trailer???
Just found out that the axles have not been cut. Owner will check hub backing plate tomorrow. One thing that I noticed was that on the front of the frame you can see where an manufacturer ID tag was attached. It was not on it so I don't understand why it was not there. The rivets were still on the frame. The trailer has the build quality of a factory made unit.

/ Trailer??? #19  
A couple years ago I bought a new 20 ft PJ equipment trailer 14k rating 8 lug LRE tires brakes both axles dovetail ramps, for $4100. $2000 for no-VIN, no-registration, no-name axles is too much. A 10 inch I beam frame is huge overkill on 16 ft trailer unless hauling maybe uranium or gold.

/ Trailer???
I appreciate your advice Pat. I have priced similar trailers and they are in the 5K to 6K range. You got a great buy on your PJ. The ones I have looked at like yours are higher than that around here. Similar built trailers with 18 K axles have 8" I beams. That 10" certainly is a lot of frame.