Trailer???

/ Trailer??? #31  
Here in the Southeast, a lot of trailers have that type axle/wheels that are not MH. We generally call them low boy tires, used a lot on equipment trailers.14.5" tires, just a little lower than 16-18". Can't use MH tires, both because they aren't the best, but really because the tax is different on them. It just looks like a fairly heavy duty equipment trailer to me, but need to look under neath to make sure.

/ Trailer??? #32  
Looks like a standard tri axle equipment trailer sold by a lot of companies. Dayton type axles were very popular for heavy duty low pro trailers. My eager beaver dump built in '88 has them as does my dad's '91 Hurst single axle utility. Both have been good trailers and hauled more then they should at one time.

Price on that trailer seems decent based on what I've seen selling around here.

/ Trailer???
Yes TMGT that is a more than fair price. It is really more trailer than I need but if I get a backhoe or small excavator it would handle it. My Chevy 2500 HD is really not enough truck if loaded to 18K total but with my current tractors and bush hog I will be in the 11K range. Truck should be OK.

/ Trailer??? #34  
Around here you see those trailers with one of the axles removed a lot of times, makes a nice heavy trailer that's less expensive and makes turning a lot easier, as long as you don't need the extra capacity.

I pull my dump trailer with a 5ton load behind my 07 Ram 2500, no problems, I have air bags on the trucks rear axle and makes a huge improvement.

/ Trailer???
That is a great thought TMGT. That would lower the unit to 12K total with a capacity around 9K. I'll have to give that some thought.

First order of business is to get it titled and upgrade my Class C commercial license to Class A CDL. I need to take the air brake written test and road test.

Back when I was 16 you could get your Class A commercial license by just paying more. I did that but when the new regulations came into effect I didn't update my license. All I would have needed to do was take the written test to be grandfathered. My dad did that and he still has his CDL's at 85. We just admitted him to a nursing facility for rehab so I doubt he will ever use them again.

/ Trailer??? #36  
Do any of your trucks have air brakes? Otherwise no need, I have a class A but no air brake endorsement at the moment.

/ Trailer???
Actually no. I would need it if I was going to use a truck with them. I will double check with the DMV. I may just need to pony up more for the license.

/ Trailer??? #38  
Are there any class A required trucks that don't have air brakes?

And does anyone know why air brakes are such a concern for licensing?

/ Trailer??? #39  
Back when I was 16 you could get your Class A commercial license by just paying more.

Sounds as if you might be nearly as old as I am.:laughing: I got the standard drivers license in Oklahoma when I was 16, but later that year, we moved to Texas and I had to take both written and driving test to get my Texas Operator's License. A year or so later, when I started occasionally driving a 12 wheeler (tractor trailer grain hauler) I only had to take a written test to get my Commercial Operator's License. Then when I was 19, working nights at the post office, and driving a taxi cab part time, I had to take another written test to get my Chauffeur's License, and I also drove a school bus one year. I was 29, and a police sergeant, when Texas invented a separate endorsement for motorcycles and I had a little 350 cc Yamaha at the time, so another written and driving test for the motorcycle license.:laughing:

/ Trailer??? #40  
Are there any class A required trucks that don't have air brakes?

And does anyone know why air brakes are such a concern for licensing?
Yes, I use to drive one, that's part of the reason I didn't get it. That and I didn't have access to a truck with airbrakes when I took the road test.