Trailer???

/ Trailer??? #21  
Just found out that the axles have not been cut. Owner will check hub backing plate tomorrow. One thing that I noticed was that on the front of the frame you can see where an manufacturer ID tag was attached. It was not on it so I don't understand why it was not there. The rivets were still on the frame. The trailer has the build quality of a factory made unit.

In my area when I find a trailer where the VIN tag has been removed its usually because it is stolen. No other reason I can think of to remove it.

/ Trailer??? #22  
In my area when I find a trailer where the VIN tag has been removed its usually because it is stolen. No other reason I can think of to remove it.

+1

"Too good to be true" usually reeks of trouble. If the DMV has suspicion that VIN had been altered or removed they will not title it.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ Trailer??? #23  
VIN tag removed = previously stolen. They don't fall off. Deal breaker for me. Sorry to be negative! I don't usually weigh in on "should I ..." threads but this just has a lot of red flags.

/ Trailer???
Thanks for the heads up guys...
I thought about that initially...
I questioned the gentleman selling it and he told me it was that way when bought it in South Carolina...
He is a local guy and not a dealer which really means nothing in the grand scheme of things...
If he was trying to be shady looks like he would have removed the place where the ID was located, ground off the rivets, and repainted...
I am confident that the trailer is just as he purchased...
If it was stolen I believe that the tag was removed prior to his purchase...
The trailer is located at his home and I think that he may have been a bit naive about buying it initially...
That is my opinion and nothing more or less...

/ Trailer??? #25  
That is what I was thinking Chris. I asked him if they were MH axles or trailer type and he did not know for sure. What type of ID would I look for on the axle to show that is a trailer axle? I had that exact number in mind Chris and we got really close to it. I''m going to give him a call tonight to confirm the axle type.

Only way I know is to take apart a Hun and look at the bearings and brakes to be sure. If you are lucky you may find a marking on the axle itself by crawling under it.

Chris

/ Trailer??? #26  
Now I guess I can't say for sure, but am I the only one to whom that just does not look anything like a mobile home frame?

/ Trailer??? #27  
I was thinking the same thing Bird. Can't come up with a reason why someone would build a frame like that and then put MH axles under it. My trailer doesn't have a tag on it but it was damaged and rebuilt by a trailer shop, where I bought it. It looks rough but I checked it and it has Dexter axles. My guess is there is some ID on the axles.

/ Trailer???
Thanks Chris for the info. The owner is going to check out the hubs for me later and report back.

Bird and KennyG: I am like you. Can't understand someone building that heavy of a trailer and then using mobile home axles.

If you look at one of the pictures you can see where a manufacturers tag was affixed at one time. The things I am asking the owner about he was not really aware of. We discussed how it looks like a factory made trailer but then some things like the pintle hitch not being adjustable don't make sense. Hopefully by this weekend I will know for sure the axle type. Again I think the he is being upfront with me. I just don't think that he was aware of some of the issues that I am asking.

/ Trailer??? #29  
I don't know if this helps you, Both of my trailers were built by different companies. Both have MFG tags with VIN # and they also have the VIN stamped in the frame.

/ Trailer???
Thanks Topbuilder for the info...
The owner told me that the hub backing plate was bolted on and not welded...
What I expected...
I am going up Saturday with the truck and will look at the axles underneath for some type of identification...
I got him down on price another $100 so I think it is a good opportunity...
I know a State Trooper and I can get him to do the inspection...
I will update after Saturday...
Thanks to everyone for their help and input...
I really appreciate it...