Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues?

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #21  
In a M7060 with a DPF, will the wind make it thru the DPF to the turbo?

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #22  
My opinion only- transporting without blocking the exhaust is unlikely to create turbo problems. My reasoning is that many people live and work in windy areas and no doubt there are 1000s of machines that are sitting directly into the wind for days, weeks, years and turbo problems don’t seem to flood any forum I’m on. This is just an opinion.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #23  
Well - my 2009 M6040 is a turbo with a forward facing exhaust. I NEVER trailer it. When delivered new - there was a "clamp on sock" on the exhaust. I even got to keep the "sock". No idea where it is now. My tractor is always stored in a carport. I know the birds like the exhaust. They sit on top and crap on the pipe. Better than my first tractor. The birds would sit on its seat. Such is life.........

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #24  
^^^^

snip
The birds would sit on its seat. Such is life.........

That must be why the seats tip up... if I remember to do it.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #25  
I'm under the impression that the only way for the turbo to spin backwards would be for air to be forced down the exhaust stack, through the muffler, any emissions contraptions, through the turbo, through an open exhaust valve, through the cylinder, through an open intake valve, through the other side of turbo, and out the air cleaner.

I'm also under the impression that if the exhaust valve is open, the intake valve will be closed. They're never open at the same time.

See animation below.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is forcing rainwater, road debris, etc... down the stack during transport.

Simple solution would be:
- Tow it backwards if possible.
- Turn the stack around.
- Put a flapper on it.
- Some kind of heat resistant bag over it with a band.
- Or, as they did at AM General when I was driving Hummers, 2.5 and 5 ton trucks out of their lots for shipment, they simply wrapped the end of the verticals stacks with duct tape while stored in the yard. We started the trucks and it would blow the tape off. We'd re-tape them once we loaded them on the rail cars and chained them down for transport.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #26  
What does your owners manual state to do while hauling?

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #27  
I'm under the impression that the only way for the turbo to spin backwards would be for air to be forced down the exhaust stack, through the muffler, any emissions contraptions, through the turbo, through an open exhaust valve, through the cylinder, through an open intake valve, through the other side of turbo, and out the air cleaner.

I'm also under the impression that if the exhaust valve is open, the intake valve will be closed. They're never open at the same time.

See animation below.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is forcing rainwater, road debris, etc... down the stack during transport.

Simple solution would be:
- Tow it backwards if possible.
- Turn the stack around.
- Put a flapper on it.
- Some kind of heat resistant bag over it with a band.
- Or, as they did at AM General when I was driving Hummers, 2.5 and 5 ton trucks out of their lots for shipment, they simply wrapped the end of the verticals stacks with duct tape while stored in the yard. We started the trucks and it would blow the tape off. We'd re-tape them once we loaded them on the rail cars and chained them down for transport.

I'm under the impression this whole thing about rainwater and turbo's is bordering on Internet fantasy. I rotated my exhaust stacks 45 degrees. Not because of the rainwater issue but because if you get water in the pipe and start it, it pukes black crap all over the hood.:laughing:

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #28  

I do believe there is a certain amount of valve overlap on modern engines. Before the exhaust is fully closed, the intake starts to open.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #29  
Does anyone suppose there is a reason people put flappers, soup cans or coffee cans on the straight up exhaust pipes?

Must be to keep their turbos from running backwards if the wind is blowing. Certainly it wouldn't be to keep rain water from settling in the turbo if they have one or if they don't, keep the water from settling in the exhaust pipe or manifold or around the exhaust valves causing them to rust.

Nah, it has to be to keep the turbo from running backwards. After all, any fool knows water in a turbo or settling in an exhaust system won't hurt a thing.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #30  
I would hate to have a turbo'd tractor sitting outside my window on a windy night. One wouldn't get any sleep from that turbo howling, You'd quick have to get up and stuff a sock in it.