Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues?

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #31  
Does anyone suppose there is a reason people put flappers, soup cans or coffee cans on the straight up exhaust pipes?

Must be to keep their turbos from running backwards if the wind is blowing. Certainly it wouldn't be to keep rain water from settling in the turbo if they have one or if they don't, keep the water from settling in the exhaust pipe or manifold or around the exhaust valves causing them to rust.

Nah, it has to be to keep the turbo from running backwards. After all, any fool knows water in a turbo or settling in an exhaust system won't hurt a thing.
Actually, none of the above. I don't trailer it, but I do use a soup can and not for any of the listed reasons. I put a can over the pipe so that birds won't nest in it - for real. I caught them at it before they got very far. Turns out my exhaust pipe is just the right size for bluebirds.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #32  
I'm under the impression this whole thing about rainwater and turbo's is bordering on Internet fantasy. I rotated my exhaust stacks 45 degrees. Not because of the rainwater issue but because if you get water in the pipe and start it, it pukes black crap all over the hood.:laughing:

Many times at AM General, we'd see a truck with no duct tape on the exhaust. We learned quick to judge the wind. If it was blowing to the driver's left, we'd skip that truck because when you fired it up, it would soak you with soot-water. If the wind was blowing in your face or your back you were ok. If the wind was blowing to the driver's right, hop in and wait for the guy next to you to get seated, then fire it up and soak him down. Great fun! :laughing:

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #33  
I do believe there is a certain amount of valve overlap on modern engines. Before the exhaust is fully closed, the intake starts to open.

Yep. Reading says it helps with scavenging the last of the exhaust out at the top of the exhaust stroke. That's why I like these discussions. I start reading articles related and learn new stuff. ;)

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #34  
Considering how much exhaust plumbing there is on both my M9's, I'd say that you'd have to shove a garden hose down the stack to get any water in the turbo. It ain't a straight shot by any means. The is however, enough soot in the to make a mess.

Now, of I had a straight pipe....:thumbsup:

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #35  
Shouldn’t be any soot in the exhaust pipe of a modern tractor with a properly functioning DPF.

Ever hear of the white glove test?

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues?
Problem Solved! I unscrewed the 3 screws holding the exhaust end on, rotated until the screw holes lined back up which 2 out of 3 did and made 1 new hole. Screwed back on and done. There was no way I was fooling with putting a sock over that every time I trailer it. Now it faces to the rear. No wind or rain will be forced down when trailering. I like this look better as well. Not sure why Kubota doesn't do this angle from the factory.
1.jpg2.jpg

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #37  
Now watch your tractor get soot all over it. Shouldn't because of emissions but we all know how that works...
Problem Solved! I unscrewed the 3 screws holding the exhaust end on, rotated until the screw holes lined back up which 2 out of 3 did and made 1 new hole. Screwed back on and done. There was no way I was fooling with putting a sock over that every time I trailer it. Now it faces to the rear. No wind or rain will be forced down when trailering. I like this look better as well. Not sure why Kubota doesn't do this angle from the factory.
View attachment 619233View attachment 619234

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #38  
View attachment 619233View attachment 619234

My tractor came from the factory with the stack pointing to the side away from the tractor. It now points forward, because those of us without cabs would be breathing more exhaust if it pointed to the rear and my manual says specifically to rotate the exhaust stack forward if I have a loader to avoid the loader arms. YMMV

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #39  
Or take the elbow off and put a flapper on it.

/ Trailering Tractor with Forward Facing Exhaust. Issues? #40  
The main reason the exhaust is covered when towing is to keep the turbo from spinning. Without the engine running there is NO oil going to the turbo bearings. Turbo's turn very high rpm's conpaired to engine rpm's.
So the faster you drive down the road the faster the turbo spins without oil going to the bearings.