Trailers are dangerous

/ Trailers are dangerous #141  
Chris,

I agree on centerline hogs but those of us that tow and need our mirrors extended have to be cognizant of the fact that our mirrors often are on or over the centerline as well.

I totally understand that. I maintain my lane and only ask that they do the same.

Chris

/ Trailers are dangerous #143  
it's a tough call on this topic. i can see if from both ways. i often tow a decent sized equipment trailer and have a 1 ton dump, so on narrow roads, i fear bicycles. i can't come to a creeping 10mph for the entire road, but if i pass, i run the risk of you going into the shoulder due to wind buffeting or operator error. i also run the risk of interfering with oncoming traffic.

i've also had the swarm of spandex-clad professional amateurs make a wide sweeping turn in front of my truck and trailer when i had right of way. they do not stop for anyone, and never get questioned about it. if i run a light, guess what happens?

years back i was in a motorcycle accident. i was stopped at an intersection, and as the light turned green i was just about to pull into traffic, when i saw nothing but a license plate in my mirror. i put both feet down, grabbed the clutch and brake, and held on for dear life. i was struck and pushed out into the intersection. luckily there was no oncoming traffic. i ended up with my bike under the truck's bumper with me half pinned under the bike. luckily the driver put it in park to see what the noise was. later when talking to the police on the scene, she said she heard the noise, but when she turned back to look, there was nothing in front of her, and she almost just kept driving, because i was under the bumper and out of view. she had not been looking forward, but watching the oncoming lane as the light turned green. she never saw or heard me - aside from the crunch of hitting me. i was driving a ninja with a non-dot approved racing exhaust. she was probably the only one across 4 counties that didn't hear me.

certainly, it sucks that you can't feel safe on the highway, but aside from the few choice words i had about her driving skills at the time, i do understand that many drivers don't see smaller objects on the roads. sure, it's not right, but given the choice of right and dead or safe and alive, i'll opt for safe and alive every time. you have a right to operate a bicycle (or motorcycle) on the same road as 4 wheeled and larger vehicles, but in an accident, you stand a very slim chance of surviving intact on one. it's not right that you have to change your lifestyle because someone else doesn't have the skills to operate a motor vehicle, but it does keep you alive.

/ Trailers are dangerous #144  
I can symphathize with both sides. I ride bikes. We live in a great area for it. I have not really had anything hapen when I am riding; I ride by myself, and am concious of everything said previously in this thread.

I also drive all over around here(Sierra foothills, near the center of the "Gold Country", Coloma gold discovery site where the Gold Rush started, and great wine country).

We get folks that come up from Sacramento(and other areas) to enjoy the areas great riding.

There is that 1-5% that ruin it for everyone. They take up lanes, do not move over, pack up. I'll be buzzing along a windy back road(not speeding, just cruising along), and whammo there they are. And I think to myself that I would not do that. Cause these guys just almost died...

/ Trailers are dangerous #145  
Chris,

I agree on centerline hogs but those of us that tow and need our mirrors extended have to be cognizant of the fact that our mirrors often are on or over the centerline as well.
You can tell that to the soccer moms in their SUVs too. Nothing worse than driving a truck where the mirrors and bed are at 9' on a 10' lane and some other driver hangs their mirrors in your lane. I understand it for bigger pickups and trucks but there is no excuse for an 8' vehicle to hang over in a 10' lane.

/ Trailers are dangerous #146  
I saw a motorcycle being scraped off the road today. Don't yet know what happened.

/ Trailers are dangerous #147  
I read every one of these posts, because it is illuminating to read other people's point of view and experiences. I can identify with almost every post, too, since I ride bicycles, motorcycles, drive tractors on roads, drive trucks, pull trailers, etc.

Once while riding my motorcycle on a 4 lane, an older gentleman pulled across the road trying to make a difficult left turn entry to the road. He obviously didn't see me until my headlight was inches from his face, which was frozen in terror after a maximum effort stop from my bike. There was no need to say a word.......we both had a lot to think about after he slowly gained his composure and I waved him on. I'm positive he simply didn't see me, and it's a proven phenomenon with motorcycles and a good argument for a flashing headlight.

Riding a bicycle with my wife after someone had been killed right near where we were riding, I observed two instances in one year of motorists drifting off onto the shoulder while distracted with texting or looking down at something in their car. One strategy is to ride slowly at the furthest edge of the bike lane away from the centerline, facing the oncoming traffic. (yes, I know, it wouldn't work in places that actually have bike traffic, and it is most likely illegal since the laws were made before cellphones took over the wheel) and look at every single driver coming toward you. If any vehicle is not centered in their lane, or is looking away from the road, pull onto the grass. For fast, hard core biking, this wouldn't work, (closure speed, thin tires going onto grass, trash run over at high speed,etc), but for someone riding slowly on a cheap mountain bike, it works. Also, in Florida, there are sometimes sidewalks, which, again are usually deserted because of the heat. Riding at a slow pace, and totally stopping or vacating the sidewalk when a rare pedestrian is seen keeps it safe for them. Also, I always go behind cars that are waiting for traffic to pull out onto the road, or at least make eye contact and almost always get a 'go ahead' wave from them.

I guess my main point that I need to add to this is that the 3 times that I could have been killed were not the result of anybody trying to drive aggressively, it was just common inattentive driving with no intent to endanger anybody. I have always seen courtesy from drivers while on a bicycle, except for once when a bunch of kids whistled and yelled at my wife.

I have seen plenty of people that must use bikes for transportation in order to get to work, either from bankrupcy, divorce, DUI, other licence suspensions, etc. So, let's continue to give bikes some room without any gestures except a wave. Those large gaggles of bikes hundreds of feet long on a winding 2 lane represent a real danger to which I can see no easy answer.......they are probably in a friendly competition, and are unlikely to pull over to let traffic by, but are usually going slow enough that the most impatient drivers in the parade behind will try a dangerous pass.

Back to the first post, my car hauler-width trailer is edge-to-edge across the lane on some of our underspec'd country roads and there is always some stress when an oncoming driver doesn't realize that, and crowds the centerline unnecessarily. Coming across a rider in that situation, I would have to slow to their pace until I had the entire oncoming lane free to pass.

/ Trailers are dangerous #148  
Interesting points of view about cycling in traffic.
I believe that I am able to see both sides in that I used to cycle quite a bit when I was young. I always give cyclists a wide berth, as I remember some close calls that I had years ago.

I don't cycle any more, somewhat because of my age, but mostly, because there are no safe roads where I live, nor bike paths either.

But I have a bit of advice for those cyclists who ride on dangerous roads or in dangerous traffic.

You may indeed have every legal right and even be obeying all traffic laws, but if a vehicle hits you and kills you, although you may have been in the right, you will still be dead.

/ Trailers are dangerous #149  
This thread reminds me why I have not taken our Scout Troop on a long bike ride.

When I was 12, in 1975, I went on a 250 mile bike ride with a patrol from the Scout Troop my Uncle was Scoutmaster for. Eight boys, two leaders, and 7 days riding up to Mt Lassen in northern California. I was an incredible trip.

I would like to take a group and do the same or a similar trip.

But I fear taking 12-18 year olds out on the road with motorists nowadays, the increased traffic, and many of the issues and attitudes discussed here.

Last edited:
   / Trailers are dangerous
You may indeed have every legal right and even be obeying all traffic laws, but if a vehicle hits you and kills you, although you may have been in the right, you will still be dead.

I ride and drive to get back home safely, that's all that counts.