Transporting my Tractor

/ Transporting my Tractor #31  
MossRoad, I use two grade 70 5/16" chains and binders. See attached photo. Makes the tractor part of the trailer when snugged down!

Attachments

• 5-209434-trailer1.jpg
    5-209434-trailer1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 117
   / Transporting my Tractor
That's what I needed to see! An actual picture of what it looks like. On the front, did you bolt on a hook of some sorts? On the back, what part of the tractor are you chainning to?

Thanks,

Dan

/ Transporting my Tractor #33  
Dan, I drilled a 3/4" hole thru the front bumper and use a shackle for the front. On the rear I just use a shackle in the drawbar. Works good and no paint damage front or rear. I got some new ratcheting binders that work much better than the old style that I was using.

/ Transporting my Tractor #34  
Big ditto on the trailer info. I bought my 16' trailer and never thought i would use 'all of it'. Now it is just barely big enough for my NH and brushmower.

2 axles are great.. and breaks are a must for this weight.

I got a decent break controller for 85 $ and had the trailer place install it for 45$.. works great!

Soundguy

/ Transporting my Tractor #35  
Brett, I agree totally with OkieG. I have a little Yanmar 1401D that weighs less than 2000 lbs. with loader and attachments. I considered a single axle trailer but ended up with a 16' tandem axle. I bind it down with 3/8 chains and binders from Harbor Freight Tools. I could have gone with less, but for a few bucks more I can drive with a smile and know that my setup is "good to go" and will handle any type of driving conditions I may run into. And when and if I move up to a bigger tractor my trailer will handle it, unless I get something huge.

/ Transporting my Tractor #36  
Thanks guys,
Looks like I'll be saying hello to Mr. 16 Footer!!! What about surge brakes?

/ Transporting my Tractor #37  
<font color=blue>What about surge brakes?</font color=blue>

Personal opinion? They're better'n nuthin, I guess, but I'd go with electric brakes and put a controller on the tow car. The only times I can recall seeing, or using, surge brakes is on rental trailers (because the folks who rent them may not have a brake controller on their tow car) and heavy boat trailers (because they're going to be backed into water and that wouldn't be good for electric brakes).

/ Transporting my Tractor #38  
Do yourself a gaint favor and use electric brakes ... surge brakes only work well when the rig is going forward and don't work well when you are backing down the ramp to the water to unload your boat ... certainly one of the times you might need them ... I use my trailer for long trips (350 miles one way) about every couple of months or so ... it's a 18 ft 5 ton equipment trailer and usally loaded close to the gross. I'm driving on Interstates , 2 lane highways and small country roads and I am very comfortable with the electric brakes .. and I'm pulling all this quite well with a Chevie Sliverado 1500 ... In other words, I think you will like electrics better ...

/ Transporting my Tractor #39  
How can you tow a 10 ton trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup? Even a 10,000 pound trailer will be over the rated capacity of that truck. 350 miles on the highway sounds dangerous...please be careful. BTW, it sounds like a good excuse for a new truck /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

/ Transporting my Tractor #40  
<font color=blue>What about surge brakes?</font color=blue>

Go with electric brakes, you will have much better control.

If you try to back up a hill with surge brakes they will lock up and it is a real pain.