Transporting my Tractor

/ Transporting my Tractor #41  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=21005&categoryId=0> Surge brakes with free backing </A>

/ Transporting my Tractor #42  
Kevin,
Thanks for calling attention to a serious error on my part ... I was thinking lbs. and typing Tons ... also, the gross is close to the trucks rated 8,000 lb tow capacity not the 10,000 lbs. capacity of the trailer ... I corrected the 10 tons to 5 tons in the post ... wow I need to wake up before I start tpying ...
Leo

/ Transporting my Tractor #43  
em14,

Those weights sound much more reasonable. Are you using a weight distributing hitch with that setup? I tow about 7,000 pounds with my Chevy van (1500) with a WD hitch and it works great.

/ Transporting my Tractor #44  
I have a 16' mid-alantic heavy landscaper trailer, dual axle, electric brakes on all four wheels, and use a tekonsha prodigy <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bargman.com/tekcat/prodigy.html>http://www.bargman.com/tekcat/prodigy.html</A> brake controller in the truck. great set up for my bx-22. it's trailered at least twice a week for odd jobs. and once a month to my camp which is 100 miles one way and it works just fine. the brake controller is great also, set it once and forget about it, and it can be unplugged in my truck and plugged into my brothers truck so he can take the trailer if he needs it.

/ Transporting my Tractor #45  
Not yet but I'm thinking of doing so ... I have not had any problems towing so far ... I have been careful to balance the load and not overload the tongue nor move to far to the rear of the trailer ... I sometimes will push the limits when I load for the field which is at that time about 3 miles away on a little traveled back road and I take it real easy.

/ Transporting my Tractor #46  
I have a 20ft dual axel (electric brakes) trailer that I have been using to transport my tractor. Trailer GW 9000lbs. Tractor between 4500-5000lbs. No problems but it is definately a load on my Ram 1500! Question: The trailer has P245/75R16 tires. They say about 35lbs of air. They also seem low when the tractor is loaded. Any thoughts on running them up to 40 or more lbs of air? I also would like to take this to PA over Thanksgiving (300 miles one way) but am concerned about possible snow. Anyone trailered in snow?Then again I guess if it snows I could hook the trailer to the tractor and haul my truck back?
Dave

/ Transporting my Tractor #47  
If your trailer is a bumper hitch, pulling a heavy trailer in snow is not easy. If your trailer is a gooseneck, pulling in snow is better. Whatever your set-up - just be sure to use extreme caution stopping and cornering.

About 6 years ago I had to drive a horse 150 miles through a snowstorm for emergency surgery. It's not something you want to do often.

/ Transporting my Tractor #48  
Is this an endorsement for surge brakes? What is your opinion on the subject?

/ Transporting my Tractor #49  
I'm not endorsing surge brakes. Someone mentioned that they had trouble backing up with them and I remembered seeing that surgebrake with a reverser. I used surge brakes on some trailers about 15 to 20 years ago and had no problems. The nice thing was you could move the trailer to another tow vehicle and not have to worry if it had an electric brake controller. I also used electric brake controllers back then and they were kind of a pain to adjust.

I recently bought a car hauler type trailer and it has electric brakes on both axles. I am now looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller. It has had high reviews.

/ Transporting my Tractor #50  
Thanks for the reply. I need to add a controller to my trailer and have not decided whether to go with surge brakes or electric brakes....