Tree problem

/ Tree problem #1  

daTeacha

Veteran Member
This is only tractor related in the sense of the equipment needed to get this set right.

After the windstorm, I discovered a 15 inch hickory had snapped off about 14 feet above the ground, coming to rest with the butt end of the bole still attached to the trunk in the neighbors pasture, hanging over a fence that is fairly new, woven wire topped with barbed wire, one electric strand on the side, and holding in several heifers and a not very polite Holstein bull that goes about 1800 lb or more. The top of the tree is on my side. I talked with the neighbor about bringing in his payloader to stand in and cut the thing off, but the ground is so slick he couldn't get it out to the location, which is on a hill just to keep things interesting.

I am considering doing the following, and would appreciate it if you guys would let me know if you think I'm nuts.

Run a cable around the snag as high up as I can get it, about 6 feet down from where it is attached to the stump.

Put that cable through a snatch block tied to one of my trees located about 25 feet from the fall, as high up as my ladders will let me get.

Connect the other end of the cable to my tractor, downhill from the area of the fall and off to the side, pointed downhill.

Take as much strain on the rig as I can with the DX-29

Begin cutting the snag apart from the ground end, which I have already reduced to two pretty good size forks, devoid of small branches.

Basically, I have a very large and heavy slingshot shape held over a fence separating the pastures by virtue of the single end still being attached to the stump 14 feet or so in the air. I want to put a strain on the single end with the cable and tractor and slowly cut the forks apart, hoping the whole mess doesn't fall on the fence and my small tree that is partially supporting it and also that it won't be enough to drag my tractor back up the hill if it falls.

Or would you hope the ground freezes enough to get the payloader in there before another storm (or the unpleasant bull) shakes things up enough to drop the snag and release the bull and heifers into the same pasture with our sheep and donkey?

/ Tree problem #2  
Need photos and more information. You'll be surprise how much weight a 15" hickory will have. Winch or come-a-long tied to something anchored (base of another tree) is better than a truck or tractor. Part of the force will lift the vehicle off the ground and it will lose traction.

What type of tree will the snatch block be tied to... it might snap if placed that high up. Attached it closer to the ground.

The "sling shot" tree, is it pretty much, up and down, or is it leaning over the fence? If it's straight up and down you'll only need a little presure to make it fall in the right direction (and your tractor might be fine). If it's leaning the other direction and you are trying to pull the weight of the tree and snag... find a good anchore point. My $0.02

Last edited:
   / Tree problem #3  
Rich - Assuming I understand your plan...you want to lift the snag and cut the end that is currently grounded on your side from the bottom working your way upwards. At first glance my initial concern would be whether or not the tree on your side is capable of supporting the other tree without snapping or splitting itself. Secondly, when do you stop cutting and allow the snag to swing back onto your neighbor's side?

Also - Just continuing to pull with your tractor may actually lever the remaining tree trunk/snag straight over onto you; your fence; or into your good tree with further damage.

Plan B - Cut that section of fence; drop the snag; drag it out; mend the fence. I doubt that the cows will stampede for the opening if you have equipment and men actively working right there.

/ Tree problem #4  
Having jointly removed a tree from my inlaws property (his house, his tree, his instructions, I was just there to help, not argue) and watched the tree drag a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup like it wasn't even there, I would say that you need to double or triple your anchor over what you think is required.
Just be careful!
David from jax

/ Tree problem #5  
I like Champy's Plan B. If you can't keep that bull away from the work then that fence is probably not adequate either.:)

/ Tree problem
The snag is about a 45 degree angle, top down over the fence onto my place. The bull was snorting, bellowing, moaning, peeing, rolling his head and shoulders in it, pushing the stump, etc. When he got too close to the neighbor, the guy picked up a section of wood -- probably about 10 pounds or so, and flung it hard, smacking the bull on the snout and causing all the critters to back off about 30 feet.

The anchor tree is pretty big, about 24 inches or so DBH. I know hickory is heavy. My main purpose of the anchor is in case the thing breaks off the stump, it should swing onto my place and not on the fence. I figure the snag is way to much for my tractor to lift as is, but I don't think it's quite enough to drag my estimated 4000 lb up the hill. I'm hoping by cutting it from the top (ground) it will slowly go to straight up/down or at least closer to it. Maybe I can get some pics tonight and post them tomorrow to see what you guys think.

Another thought is just anchor the free end of the cable to another tree and not involve the tractor, but that would mean I couldn't post it here, wouldn't it? :)

/ Tree problem #7  
Rich, be sure that the line pull to the tractor is dead straight and that it will remain that way if (when) the tree falls, rolls or does other naughty things. I've seen larger vehicles pulled, yanked and even flipped onto their side from similar situations. When it happens, it will be so fast you won't believe it. It's just looking back where it seems to slow down and last forever as you relive the moments of destruction over and over again.

jb

/ Tree problem #8  
I'd handle it this way. First build a secondary fence by laying in some posts that separates you from the cow. Tie it in to the original fence, Forget about saving the fence the tree is over as from what I'm hearing that will get you killed. Instead, cut and notch the tree as you would if you wanted to fell it if it were whole. Notch the tree parallel to the overhang. You are going to push the tree over sideways. Pick a direction that is easier to repair the fence if the tree is not leaning one way or another. Now get your tractor and push it over toward the notch. Now its safely on the ground crushing the fence but what do you care as you have the secondary fence holding stuff in. Cut up the the tree and fix the fence. Don't forget to divert the cow with a grain or mash or whatever she likes special. Train her a couple days on the diversion and then build the secondary fence on her side and do the same if you want to remove it. Had to do this twice in my life and both times worked like a charm. Blow down over hangs on fencing once with a stallion that would just soon as stomp you to death and once with a bull who wanted to do the same.
ps. I diverted the bull with a cow. Didn't have a brood mare for the stallion but used a molasses mash he loved. This method is like building a coffer dam only you are temporarily stopping the flow of animals instead of water.

Last edited:
   / Tree problem #9  
I like the secondary fence idea. A temporary fence or corral panels to keep the animals back and just saw it down. The extra labor of fence building and repairing would be worth it I think. A friend of mine had a tree almost drag a 75 hp IH tractor (his fathers pride and joy) over a steep creek bank once when the wind shifted as it started to fall. He was sure happy when the cable snapped before just before the tractor reached the edge.;)

/ Tree problem #10  
Here's another vote for sacrificing the fence. Lotsa people get hurt playing with half-felled trees. Not many people get hurt cutting holes in fence. Save yourself some grief and cut the fence. Unless everything goes right, you're probably going to end up fixing fence anyway.:(