Tree problem

/ Tree problem #11  
I agree with not hooking the tree to your tractor. What that tree will do is a huge unknown.... so don't attach it to anything you really value ;)

How high is it where it goes over the fence? Pics would really help. Any way to support it on his side of the fence, cut off most of what is on your side, then cut blocks of what is over the fence (minimal damage with just blocks dropping) and then pull the supports out and let it swing/drop back onto his side of the fence?

If not I would go with the cut the fence neatly, move it out of the way and start sawing.

Charles

/ Tree problem #12  
Ask the neighbor to pen the heifers and bull, cut the fence, cut the tree, repair the fence then release the cattle. Problem solved.;)

/ Tree problem #13  
First thing I'd do is teach that bull some respect. Sounds like he is an accident waiting to happen. If you learn him some respect that is one issue you'll be done with. Secondly, I'm with the others. Cut the fence, then get rid of the tree, then put the fence back.

/ Tree problem
After revisiting the site last night, I can pretty much rule out the idea of the line to the anchor tree. The tree I want to use is more like 60 feet away, so unless I went way up there to anchor it, the pendulum effect I was thinking about wouldn't work.

The pics show what I have going on. The brown area over the fence is sloping and slippery mud, chewed up the cows. I have cut up most of one fork since taking the pictures, so now have what amounts to one stick with a branch about 5 feet long sticking out of it.

It's looking like I'm going to be waiting until they can get the big front loader in there. I really don't think the guy who just put the fence up a couple of years ago is going to want to cut it and repair it if there is some way to avoid doing so. The loader in question is more like a piece of mining equipment than a tractor. I think it can lift something like 8000 lb or so. They just don't want to tear up the pasture bringing the thing out there in the goo.

Attachments

• 1536r.JPG
    1536r.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 412
  • PICT1539.JPG
    PICT1539.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 397
   / Tree problem #15  
I rented a pole saw for trimming trees at the farm. It had a 10" bar and extended out 15'. Very handy and I did cut a walnut limb that was close to 10 ". It takes time to cut big stuff but I feel safer standing on the ground than up on a ladder or something. If you cut it up piece by piece that might work. When I looked at your pictures I thought about building a two legged frame on your side of the fence to support the butt then cut fallen piece off and pull it into your land.

Chris

/ Tree problem
Yeah, I considered that, but it would have to be a pretty hefty frame to hold up that hickory.

/ Tree problem #17  
Pics help a lot. That tree is real close to the fence. I'd be inclined to keep cutting it off until it is almost resting on the top wire and then cut if off on the stump side and let it swing back against the trunk. Down side to this is it may let go up top at anytime and the whole thing falls.

If that piece stays hanging there it will make it want to fall on the fence when the stump gets cut down. Although at that point it really isn't your problem anymore ;)

Charles

/ Tree problem #18  
daTeacha said:
Yeah, I considered that, but it would have to be a pretty hefty frame to hold up that hickory.

A-frame of heavy poles leaning over fence from neighbor side and well braced to keep the bottom from skidding. Legs placed a even with or even a foot or so back from the tree (pasture side of the tree). Then cut from the top back toward the A frame contact point. Once there, over into the pasture: cable to the snag portion up near the break to tractor, undercut, backcut, pull and the overhanging potion will swing right over the fence - no damage there.

Yep, lots of rigging and the a-frame will need to be (6x6 at a guess) fairly substantantial. Were I doing ti, I would have the cable/tractor all hooked up before doing much cutting on the top. Dunno what size your tractor is but I would want a fairly good sized one. With the set-up as described, the force on the tractor will not be overly great. I'd do it on my own place but for someone else, I would do the 'cut fence' way.

Harry K

Harry K

/ Tree problem #19  
I don't like to give out chainsaw advice... I don't know how well your equipment is maintain, your experience, how fast you can react and half way through - you might have to come up with a new plan fast!!!!

They are great photos, I would wait for the front end loader...

This is more for a professional, I'm not one but have taken down a dozen or so trees that were leaning into other trees and I've been lucky and not killed... close once or twice (and that's NOT a joke). That is a lot of weight that you are dealing with. Can you say; "Widow Maker"? With that said....

[size=-2](IF IT WAS ME!!) I would plan to fix the fence later and start cutting (with only undercuts) from the top, in 3' sections. As you cut the tree, it will fall and open up where the saw is cutting. Hopefully, there is enough wood left where it split to hold the weight of the tree. The tree will get lighter (and shorter) as you move down the trunk. BUT it could break lose and smash YOU or the fence at anytime. I would keep an eye out and have a spotter. I would not have a problem trying this BUT YOU have to know YOUR limits.[/size]

/ Tree problem #20  
teg said:
I've been lucky and not killed... close once or twice (and that's NOT a joke). That is a lot of weight that you are dealing with. Can you say; "Widow Maker"?

well said. :)

It appears there's enough tree there to keep that widow maker in place untill your neighbor gets there to do his job. In the meantime, have the deer rifle ready for the bull. IMHO there is no place for a bull on a modern farm.