Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #11  
It does a world of good to clean up the female coupling and with a few strokes of a three cornered file, put a little extra lead in to help get the splines to line up.

When it comes to grease, it's hard to make the steps back to the shelf to grab the white lithium grease, but it's worth it ;-)

I just wire brush as needed, the little toothbrush sized wire brushes are ideal. No grease, oil, white lithium, or fluid film on the tractor shaft. Occasionally use a little fluid film on the implement shaft (female side) when parking something for a while...

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #12  
I use motorcycle chain lube which is a wax based lube. It doesn't attract dirt.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #13  
Everyone on here has waaaaay more experience and expertise than I do but on my JD 4710 I found that with the engine off and the transmission in neutral I could turn the pto shaft, by hand, just enough that i could get everything properly aligned. Only needed it for my rototiller because, as you said, the bush hog could be turned (easier than the pto shaft). I don't remember where, exactly, that I picked up that trick but I think that it was on a youtube video. I just traded the 4710 and have a 4066R due for delivery next week.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #14  
You can make a little tool out of a piece of flat steel (slightly less than 1/4" thick) shaped like a "T" or an "L". The middle part of the "T" or the short part of the "L" should be cut to just less than 1 3/8" width (assuming your PTO shafts are 1 3/8" x 6 spline). The lands and grooves on the PTO shafts are exactly 1/4" wide, so that's why the tool needs to be slightly thinner than 0.250", and the grooves line up opposite each other like the lugs on a 6 lug rim.

I hope you can get a mental image of what I'm trying to convey here. It's essentially like a making a screwdriver with 1 3/8" wide tip that will fit into the shaft snugly, but with handles to give you some leverage. You could get fancy and make a T-handle with some pipe or rebar and that would do nicely too.

When you are attaching the implement, you can slide the tool into the grooves on the PTO input shaft on your finish mower (or other implement) and use it to turn the shaft a few degree's so it will line up.

If you like my idea, I have the patent on it so don't get no funny ideas about marketing it. :D

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #15  
I put a PTO clutch thing on mine...from TSC---spins easily with one hand in one direction

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #16  
The PTO shield on my new tractor conspired with the PTO shield on the rotary cutter to cause extreme frustration, sore hands, and general disgust. A sharp knife removed the last section (1.5" or so) of the bell on the PTO shield, leaving plenty to prevent accidents. Solved the problem.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #17  
It does a world of good to clean up the female coupling and with a few strokes of a three cornered file, put a little extra lead in to help get the splines to line up.

This strikes me as a practical idea. I will be filing tomorrow.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #18  
I share your frustration. I'd much rather switch an implement on a telenahdler or skid steer than anything that uses the PTO on my tractor.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????
Wow.....thanks everyone for lots of ideas to reduce the frustration of the "implement change".
A few things I will try now include , the lubrication of the plastic driveshaft sleeve, cutting the bell of the plastic sleeve a bit, trying the BX2660 pto shift lever position, filing leading edge of spline a bit, and watching for a scrap piece of 1/4 inch (3/16) metal to cut to 1 and 3 /8 wide and make a tool................and even in some cases installing drive shaft first, then backing up closer for three point attach.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #20  
I first turn off the PTO that I want to put the implement on, so that I can easily turn the PTO by hand.

Then I clean the PTO and end of the shaft that goes over it. I put white lithium on all the PTO splines and fluid film on the start of the female one that goes over it.

The one on my chipper shredder with a push button is SO MUCH EASIER than the pull type one on the bush hog. Often have to rock it a bit after I get the splines to go on a tad to get it the rest of the way.

Ralph