Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #31  
that does not seem to work on the BX2660 (and so probably all the BX model Kubotas)

If you put the pto selector in the "rear pto" setting, the mid pto spins freely.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #32  
I posted in this thread earlier and feel foolish now. As I said then I was expecting delivery of a 4066r within a week. I also took delivery of a Woods BB720X rotary cutter. Both are larger than my old 4710 and Woods 60. (The 720 markedly so) I struggled to get the mower to work with my 11 year old imatch until I realized that from the dealer the 720 was set up for category 2 Quick Hitch. It took Fri and Sat morning to get that ironed out. I was going nuts after that trying to hook up the pto. The 720 is a much heavier duty machine than my old one but I wasn't prepared for the additional weight. The imatch made for very tight quarters and at 64 I am not strong enough to guide with one hand/arm and retract the stiff new collar. I came in and reread this thread at lunch time and the 2 tips about hanging the shaft with a bungee cord and using the telescoping feature by hooking up the pto when you were still a foot away from hooking up the Quick hitch looked promising . After lunch I repositioned the tractor, hung the shaft with the bungee and hooked it up on the first try.
I went out and mowed the strip between the road and my woods. It worked great. Still a few kinks to work out with the Quick Hitch attachment but wanted to thank eveyone for the good advice.

I was in the same boat as you with the collar on the PTO shaft and I use to say a lot of words getting it to slide. I almost hated to use the brush hog because of this. I got to looking and by turning the PTO shaft around so the collar end was by the gearbox the other end had the pin type connecter on it problem solved after 7 years

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????
If you put the pto selector in the "rear pto" setting, the mid pto spins freely.

your right....but I need the rear pto shaft to spin freely, and no position seems to do that, so alternative that many have provided her are the alternative and has improved the situation...........however if there is a way to make the rear pto shaft to be able to spin it by hand on a BX2660 I welcome the info.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #34  
If I were rich, I would provide a $1,000,000 prize at one-three-five year intervals to whoever devised the best way to improve ease of PTO connection in each of those time frames. Heck, I'm going to be a Sport: $2,000,000 at the five year interval.

Here's one:

Bruce

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #35  
your right....but I need the rear pto shaft to spin freely, and no position seems to do that, so alternative that many have provided her are the alternative and has improved the situation...........however if there is a way to make the rear pto shaft to be able to spin it by hand on a BX2660 I welcome the info.

Seems to me, being able to free spin the PTO on a tractor is becoming less common. From what I've seen there are more models that the tractor's PTO cannot be spun by hand than models that can.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #36  
works with my bx23tbl

that does not seem to work on the BX2660 (and so probably all the BX model Kubotas)

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post

If you put the pto selector in the mid pto position the rear pto is out of gear. ... Turn the stub to line up.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #37  
I have a Kubota B2620 and a Land Pride RCR rotary cutter (and a couple of other attachments). I can line up and hook the arms, stabilizer bar, and spine shaft ok, but getting the locking collar on is ALWAYS a problem. I just can't seem to get it to snap on! It is really frustrating. I usually end up walking away for a while and trying again..(repeat). I guess I don't have a lot of brute strength ... any advice appreciated, but mostly I am just venting.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #38  
I have a Kubota B2620 and a Land Pride RCR rotary cutter (and a couple of other attachments). I can line up and hook the arms, stabilizer bar, and spine shaft ok, but getting the locking collar on is ALWAYS a problem. I just can't seem to get it to snap on! It is really frustrating. I usually end up walking away for a while and trying again..(repeat). I guess I don't have a lot of brute strength ... any advice appreciated, but mostly I am just venting.

Have you read all 36 posts in this thread?

If the pto shaft gets a little heavy trying to connect it to the tractor, hang it on a bungee cord, a little higher than it would be if it was connected. It is much easier to push it down a little than holding it up.

"With my implements I find most of the coupling resistance comes from friction between the two-piece, plastic PTO shaft guards, not the splines. I move the tractor away from the implement so the PTO guards are spread, reducing friction from overlap. I also lube plastic shaft guards with talcum powder, where they overlap. I find this makes it much easier to shove the PTO female connection onto the tractor PTO splines. Then I back up the tractor and connect the two Lower Links and single Top Link."

One of these days I am going to apply Carnuba Wax to both sections of the plastic PTO guards as lube, in place of talcum powder. Talc is always on my work bench and it works OK, certainly better than no-Talc, but perhaps Carnuba Wax will provide lubricity superior to Talc.

Dry graphite would be another experiment.

Last edited:
   / Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #39  
Another trick I use, hook the drive-shaft to the tractor while the lift arms are about 8" too far away from the cutter. That gives me a little more room to get in there and work.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #40  

Look inside the female part that attaches to your tractor's output shaft. You should see three little steel balls spaced evenly around the inside of it. Pull the collar back and you should see the little balls retract. If they don't retract, that's what is giving you the blues in trying to attach it to the tractor.

If that's what happening, spray some Fluid Film (or quality lubricant of your choice) on the balls and roll them around. Spray some more and do the same. Now pull the collar back and see if they retract. If not, keep lubing them until they do. Once they retract when you pull back on the collar, it will be pretty easy to line it up with the tractor's output shaft, pull back on the collar and slide it on, and then release the collar and pull back on the shaft to make sure it's seated good.