Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #41  
So I have four different implements that use a pto shaft and require the push pull and twist we all need to do to get the pto shaft spline to line up and slide onto the tractor pto spline........so I have got used to doing it with the wood chipper and the snow blower and the bush hog...........but now my relatively new Finish mower is a pain in the butt to get them lined up and slide on...........all the other implements you can turn the driveshaft by hand and the implements blade will turn enough to get your splines lined up by the small turn you need ...........but the rear finish mower (I guess because it uses belts) does not budge , and there is not enough room to put a short piece of threaded rod in the u joint close to the tractor because of the tractor pto guard and your hands need in their too !!.....to push and hold the locking plate so it slides on spline...............So I had no choice but to remove the rear finish guard that is over the gear box on the mower to expose the u joint there and with a short piece of threaded rod (or large screw driver) shoved in the ujoint back there, I turn that with one hand and with other hand (long reach) I hold the drive shaft while pushing in and hope it will find the spline ....before my arms fall off

Are there some better ways ???........yes I grease the splines (male and female) and then curse the grease as you slip and slide trying to find the spline fit :) ................there must be a better way, I hate to keep the rear finish mower guard off for the rest of its life so I can access that ujoint to turn it.............by the way the belts are proper tension .

I used to do it your way, then I invoked the power of the local fleet store and stopped throwing pry bars that aren't too short and aren't too long into the weeds and ceased from cursing the wind, grease, and life.

Behold the power of a bungie strap!

19361997684_6803bc6bd2_h.jpg

Its like Jacob's ladder from you and the bungie strap straight to heaven because its that good. :D

The Bungie strap takes all the weight off of the driveshaft off so all you need do is wobble the driveshaft end on and off.

Lest you think I'm some Johnny-come-lately-bungie-strap-amateur, be aware that I've fixed hydraulic routing problems with the mighty bungie strap too!

Throw a few bungie straps into your toolbox. You'll know what to do with them when the time comes.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #42  
I find it to be very easy. I hook up top and bottom links. I raise implement just a little off ground and turn engine off. You can block attachment up if you like. At this point you can turn the drive shaft with no problem. On some of my tractors I can even turn the shaft on the tractor. I keep a good coat of grease on the splines. I can have it attached in about a minute.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #43  
Thanks all. Sometimes the attachment is easy; sometimes a real PITA. Luckily, I don't use the rotary cutter all that often.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????
As the original poster on this thread I want to thank those that suggested putting the pto selector into mid pto position............because it works..in my defense my BX2660 does not have a midmower so I never use the selector , it was always left in the rear pto position. I tried that selector trick this weekend to hook up my rear finish mower , and lo and behold the rear pto stub end turns freely when set for mid mower slector position........making it a breeze to move to hook up those difficult type rear pto equipments....thanks TBNers!