tried out the new tires!!!

/ tried out the new tires!!!
WELL I HAD PERMISSION FROM THE FARMER TO RIDE WHERE I WAS RIDEING AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH.. I DIDN'T DESTROY ANY CROPS NOR DID I RUN IN THE FIELD I WAS ON THE ROAD PART WHAT PART OF THAT CAN'T YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND???? HEADLANE THE ROAD THAT RUNS AROUND AND THROUGH THE FIELDS WE DON'T RUN OVER THE ROWS AS FOR AS BEING A POSTER CHILD I'M FOR FROM IT BUDDY GET A LIFE!!!!!! AROUND HERE HUNTERS AIN'T WELCOME BECAUSE THEY THREATEN TO SHOOT PEOPLE WE DON'T PULL GUNS ON ANYONE I CLEAN UP THE PROPERTY AND I HAUL DIRT TO MAINTAIN THE TRAILS I CLEAN UP AFTER HURICANES I NEVER SEE HUNTERS CLEAN UP ANYTHING!!

Sure seems to me that TOMMYHPX4X4 is the poster child for why hunters are not welcome on most private land out here. I LOVE the feeling of wind in my face riding an ATV or UTV. However if you had done that on my land, I would have had you arrested for trespassing as well. Your attitude speaks volumes.

/ tried out the new tires!!! #22  
Ok, I read this thread... and I think I got this out of it... Please correct me.

Tommy tried out his new tires on land he thought he had permission to be on.
The owner came out and told Tommy he did not have permission to be there.
Tommy got in a verbal battle with the owner.
Tommy got a ticket from the cops.
Tommy is going to call the owner of the property in to the cops when he hunts.(an eye for an eye)

I own land. I would never let anyone go mudding on it. But my only question is: Why did Tommy and the owner get into a verbal battle?

It seems so simple to me: the owner comes out, says WTF are you doing you dont have permission. Tommy says I thought I did, my bad. The Tommy leaves.

But I guess it did not go that way?

/ tried out the new tires!!!
it basicly did go that way but i told him my piece of mind for useing foul mouth at me he could have talk to me like a person. he lives a few hundred yards away from where this is and i have pictures of use rideing from years "back in the mud" it was posted in the news paper the he gets and reads !!! we even made front page news when we cought a 10 foot gator right in the verey same spot he got that paper and read it to it had my adress on it why didn't he say something then???this is just like a maried couple they are maried for 30 years then all of a sudden one day the wife just wakes up and says hey i want a devorce things happen we always did cut up on the headlanes we were told to cut up on the headlanes and not where the crops was i'm tired of being called a bad guy. i do way to much stuff for people to be called a bad person. i go out of my way to get people stuff and then look what they do to me this is what i get!!!like i told the cop the guy could have said things alot nicer he could have asked if i had permission to be there but he didn't he might be the owner but he is leasing the property and the one he leased the peoperty to doesn't mind us rideing there and cutting up so why am i getting ragged out?????? that guy was yelling saying i was takin money out of the farmers pocket??? how?? if the farmer said i could ride there . as for as me calling the cops on the owner for hunting no i am not the people at the end of the street ar they are the ones who live within 300feet of hisdeer stand and they have had enough of him so really it isn't an eye for an eye so i won't be getting even they will be because they can't ride there they want to shut him down too.

Ok, I read this thread... and I think I got this out of it... Please correct me.

Tommy tried out his new tires on land he thought he had permission to be on.
The owner came out and told Tommy he did not have permission to be there.
Tommy got in a verbal battle with the owner.
Tommy got a ticket from the cops.
Tommy is going to call the owner of the property in to the cops when he hunts.(an eye for an eye)

I own land. I would never let anyone go mudding on it. But my only question is: Why did Tommy and the owner get into a verbal battle?

It seems so simple to me: the owner comes out, says WTF are you doing you dont have permission. Tommy says I thought I did, my bad. The Tommy leaves.

But I guess it did not go that way?

/ tried out the new tires!!! #24  
I suppose the main thought here is that if the gentleman who approached Tommy was truly the land owner, he does not have to be reasonable or show any accountability toward Tommy. This seemingly to me is not a two directional confrontation, no matter how the interaction might have gone. The conversation about hunters, farmers, and UTV'rs really is at best a secondary issue, based on the information we have been attempting to sort through.

John M

/ tried out the new tires!!! #25  
it basicly did go that way but i told him my piece of mind for useing foul mouth at me he could have talk to me like a person. he lives a few hundred yards away from where this is and i have pictures of use rideing from years "back in the mud" it was posted in the news paper the he gets and reads !!! we even made front page news when we cought a 10 foot gator right in the verey same spot he got that paper and read it to it had my adress on it why didn't he say something then???this is just like a maried couple they are maried for 30 years then all of a sudden one day the wife just wakes up and says hey i want a devorce things happen we always did cut up on the headlanes we were told to cut up on the headlanes and not where the crops was i'm tired of being called a bad guy. i do way to much stuff for people to be called a bad person. i go out of my way to get people stuff and then look what they do to me this is what i get!!!like i told the cop the guy could have said things alot nicer he could have asked if i had permission to be there but he didn't he might be the owner but he is leasing the property and the one he leased the peoperty to doesn't mind us rideing there and cutting up so why am i getting ragged out?????? that guy was yelling saying i was takin money out of the farmers pocket??? how?? if the farmer said i could ride there . as for as me calling the cops on the owner for hunting no i am not the people at the end of the street ar they are the ones who live within 300feet of hisdeer stand and they have had enough of him so really it isn't an eye for an eye so i won't be getting even they will be because they can't ride there they want to shut him down too.

There is what I missed.... But, the guy does own the land and could change his mind at any time. BUT, no matter whats going on, a person should treat someone how they want to be treated. The owner coming out cussing is not right either. so... I am not trying to pick side or call anything wrong. I just want this thread to be understood, and I don't want to have Tommy leave the site. He is a contributor....

I suppose the main thought here is that if the gentleman who approached Tommy was truly the land owner, he does not have to be reasonable or show any accountability toward Tommy. This seemingly to me is not a two directional confrontation, no matter how the interaction might have gone. The conversation about hunters, farmers, and UTV'rs really is at best a secondary issue, based on the information we have been attempting to sort through.

John M

JCM, I agree with your posts. But the last thing people should do when confronting someone on thier land is to start cussing them out. I run into this often since I own some good hunting ground. I have always been nice and let the people know. The last thing I want is to have an arrow in me, or someone messing with my hunting. Treat them how I would want to be treated.

/ tried out the new tires!!! #26  
Hey Tommy, nice mud buggy. I told ya that those Rhinos were beasts off road with the right tires on 'em! ;) Do you have a smooth skid pan all the way under it yet? That made a difference on mine whenever I got to where I was dragging bottom.

As far as the riding and land thing, I've definitely been on both sides. I was the little beast riding wild when I was younger. Heck, I won my first motocross race when I was just 7 years old. Yeah, I know, back then I just had to make sure I kept feeding the squirrels in the cage so they'd keep running on the belt to make me go. :D Anyway, I seemed to always end up having somebody mad about me riding on property where I was told I had permission. Besides people just changing their minds for whatever reason, some of the property actually was sold and there were different owners I didn't know. I didn't take kindly to being screamed at and I guarantee you that nobody was going to physically catch me unless they knew where I was going and got me there. Out in the country areas there just isn't any way the police could catch somebody on a motocross bike unless the rider just fell down or something. (fortunately I didn't :)) At least Tommy didn't run from the law. I was a lot younger, but I did.

Now I'm on the other side of the equation. I own several parcels of land and I constantly get people using my property without permission. I honestly try to recall my younger days before I get ticked at someone. It still gets me though when some hunters tear down my "No Hunting" and "No Trespassing" signs and then proceed onto my property to not only setup deer stands, but to take chain saws to some of my trees to give them better shots at clearings. :mad: That's sort of where it crosses the line with me; they've seen the signs and they intentionally damage my property and leave all sorts of trash behind.

I did hire an older guy who lives by my larger tract of land to watch over it for me when he could. Basically the "hire" was just an arrangement to where I allowed him to run his coon dogs on my property every day (he raises and sells them) and he'd run people off who were trespassing and tell them that they are not welcomed there. It was only when he said some people threatened him and I got a few junk washing machines and refrigerators dumped on my land that I prosecuted some people. (Those game cameras are great) I figure that I tried (with signs) and he tried (by talking to them) to politely ask them to no longer use my property but they wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and became destructive. Once that crap started I left it up to the police. I'm not getting shot by some fool just because he's destroying my property.

It sounds like the property owner got pissed for whatever reason and was a bit less than cordial when telling Tommy that he wasn't permitted to continue riding on his property. I may be wrong, but it sure seems to me that it's just human nature for a man to get a bit defensive if another man is yelling and cursing at him. I'm not saying it's wrong for someone to use their property the way they want but only that sometimes it's the way you go about saying something that makes all the difference. The way I see it, Tommy is a grown man who just doesn't seem likely to continue to ride somewhere where he's been told not to. That seems more like something kids would do, not adults with homes and families. I just took Tommy's original comment as saying just that; he got spanked (so to speak) by the law for trying out his new tires at a place where he's used to riding. I didn't read anything more into it. I figured there was a story somewhere behind the comment but I didn't take it as Tommy advocating trespassing or destroying someone else's property. For whatever it's worth, that's my take on the matter.

/ tried out the new tires!!! #27  
Around here (Australia) the main problem for landowners is liability. Some owners have been sued by people coming onto their properties (with or without permission) and injuring themselves.........often by doing something a bit dangerous, if not completely stupid. The most common problems are shooters and trail bike riders injuring themselves. Successful cases have been made for shooters who've shot themselves while wriggling through a fence, and riders who've been injured doing 'jumps'.

I'd be surprised if US landowners were in any better situation with liability issues.

/ tried out the new tires!!! #28  
Around here (Australia) the main problem for landowners is liability. Some owners have been sued by people coming onto their properties (with or without permission) and injuring themselves.........often by doing something a bit dangerous, if not completely stupid. The most common problems are shooters and trail bike riders injuring themselves. Successful cases have been made for shooters who've shot themselves while wriggling through a fence, and riders who've been injured doing 'jumps'.

I'd be surprised if US landowners were in any better situation with liability issues.

i have always thought that was crap!!!....that someone can sue the land owner for trespassin' on there.....they should get arrested for bein' on the guys land not the other way around.....i have had to sign papers to cut firewood so i wouldn't sue them if i got hurt....i would never think of doin' it!!!....if i get hurt thats my problem NOT THE LAND OWNER!!!!!!

/ tried out the new tires!!! #29  

Liability is an issue in the US as well. Up here in the Northeast, it's a huge issue. In fact, in both Vermont and New Hampshire the ATV liability issue is dealt with on a state level. In Vermont, there's a state-wide ATV association that will insure the property owner if he'll allow ATV club members to have access. In New Hampshire, I think the state (instead of an association) actually picks up the tab, but their ATV registration is priced accordingly -- in both cases, the riders pay the cost of liability insurance for the property owner in order to obtain access.

Also, it's common throughout the Northeast for the laws to require that the rider have WRITTEN permission from the property owner in order to ride on their property. Being a dues-paying member of a club who has negotiated the access to the owner's property will suffice in lieu of a written permission slip...

All this is done quite similar to hunting leases for rod and gun clubs, for example, that might be more common in other parts of the country. In both cases, the people who are using someone's property are buying the insurance to protect the property owner. IMO, these kinds of restrictions will likely only continue to spread....

/ tried out the new tires!!! #30  
...i would never think of doin' it!!!....if i get hurt thats my problem NOT THE LAND OWNER!!!!!!

That's because you're "normal" and not someone trying to make a living out of not making a living. You know, someone who wants to just sue their way along in life. This sort of thing is part of the reason I dropped out of law school. I had no problem with the pledge of doing a certain amount of pro-bono work, but every pro-bono case I helped work on as an assistant was for some person doing just what you and I hate; suing someone for getting hurt while trespassing or using someone else's property without permission.