Truck VS Trailer

/ Truck VS Trailer #2  
Are you talking a large truck, or just a pickup?

I have hauled larger utility tractors on farm trucks (in a previous life). It's always a pain to find a loading dock or more often, finding the spot in the ditch that is the correct depth. Then you have to worry that you don't get the truck stuck.

Long distance, it's probably a good deal. Short hops, like I do for my side biz, would be impossible. The ramp on the trailer is easy-I can loaded, chain down, and have the trailer ready to roll in 20 minutes easy.

Having said all that, I was driving home from Kansas City a few months ago and passed a guy with Dodge Ram dually. In the back of it was a new BX2200 with an FEL. The FEL was hanging over the closed endgate! Obviously it didn't have anything on the 3PH, nor the MMM. I don't know if he had to take the 3PH arms off to get it to fit, but I'd guess so.

I'll stick with a trailer..............

Ron

/ Truck VS Trailer #3  
My dealer uses a truck with a rollback stainless bed. must be a 21' bed or so. Man is it nice. The limo of tractor haulers.

Moon of Ohio

/ Truck VS Trailer #4  
Yep, I'd not considered that.

If you got a car hauler truck with a rollback bed, that would be NICE. Got to be REALLY expensive though.

Ron

/ Truck VS Trailer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are you talking a large truck, or just a pickup?
Ron )</font>

The real way to go would be a 12 to 14 foot roll back that dumps too on a truck comparable to a Ford F350.
V8 gas engine
Auto Transmission
Air conditioned
PS
I would love to have a truck like this.
It would be ideal for transporting my Kubota BX 23 and for hauling sand gravel slag dirt etc.

My objection about a pick up and a trailer is you have to buy insure license store and maintain 2 vehicles to haul one tractor and you still don't have anything to haul sand gravel slag dirt etc. with.

/ Truck VS Trailer #6  
You may want to check on what it will cost to put a tag and insurance on that ton truck. Many trailers here don't have a tag.

/ Truck VS Trailer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You may want to check on what it will cost to put a tag and insurance on that ton truck. Many trailers here don't have a tag. )</font>

Tags are required on trailers here.
Insurance may be less than on another truck and a trailer too.
Need to check it out.

/ Truck VS Trailer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My dealer uses a truck with a rollback stainless bed. must be a 21' bed or so. Man is it nice. The limo of tractor haulers.

Moon of Ohio )</font>

That's what my dealer delivered mine on too.
Where is your dealer?

/ Truck VS Trailer #9  
Here is a problem with those roll back haulers; when my dealer delivered my tractor on his roll back trailer, the piece that drops in the back to keep the truck from raising up ground into my concrete driveway and left a nasty mark. I'm not at all thrilled with that. The only way to properly repair that nasty mark would to jack hammer out that section of concrete and pour it again. Being that it is 5000 psi concrete with 6 gauge wire, 8 sticks of 20' rebar, and is 12'X20' section, I'd guess that to have it properly repaired, it would cost several thousand dollars. That's besides the inconvenience of having my driveway out for a couple of weeks while it is repaired.

I'd pointed out this damage to the driver and asked why he didn't just use a 2x4 or something under that stabilizing drop brace, and he told me that he's tried a piece of wood before, but the truck wiggles and dropps off of the wood causing more damage. Unless it can be loaded and unloaded off of my driveway, or they can bring a large thick rubber mat, I will not ever allow another rollback in my driveway.

Just something to think of. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Truck VS Trailer #10  
Another problem with rollback trucks are the height of the tractor when loaded. A tractor with a canopy, or a ROPS that doesn't fold can cause major headaches. Some of the old small towns around here have old Railroad bridges with very low clearances.