Truck VS Trailer

/ Truck VS Trailer #11  
<font color="blue">My objection about a pick up and a trailer is you have to buy insure license store and maintain 2 vehicles to haul one tractor and you still don't have anything to haul sand gravel slag dirt etc. with. </font>

Why can't you haul sand, gravel, slag, dirt, etc... on the trailer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Truck VS Trailer #12  
<font color="blue">Unless it can be loaded and unloaded off of my driveway, </font>
Why didn't they unload on the nearest road and drive the tractor onto your driveway?

/ Truck VS Trailer #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My objection about a pick up and a trailer is you have to buy insure license store and maintain 2 vehicles to haul one tractor and you still don't have anything to haul sand gravel slag dirt etc. with. )</font>

It all depends on what type of trailer you use. I have a 12k pound dump trailer that I haul with my Excursion (delivering firewood). It is 12 x 6.5 x 2 and would easily hold your BX23 and attachments, and can be used to haul and dump sand, gravel, mulch, etc. I bought it slightly used on EBay at an excellent price. And it serves double duty because I can haul it with my tractor into places that my Excursion won't fit. You might want something smaller for a BX.

I do have to pay for registration, but I do not have it insured. My vehicle coverage will deal with liability if I'm hauling the trailer. The only thing not covered would be the replacement cost of the trailer.

/ Truck VS Trailer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Here is a problem with those roll back haulers; when my dealer delivered my tractor on his roll back trailer, the piece that drops in the back to keep the truck from raising up ground into my concrete driveway and left a nasty mark. I'm not at all thrilled with that. The only way to properly repair that nasty mark would to jack hammer out that section of concrete and pour it again. Being that it is 5000 psi concrete with 6 gauge wire, 8 sticks of 20' rebar, and is 12'X20' section, I'd guess that to have it properly repaired, it would cost several thousand dollars. That's besides the inconvenience of having my driveway out for a couple of weeks while it is repaired.

I'd pointed out this damage to the driver and asked why he didn't just use a 2x4 or something under that stabilizing drop brace, and he told me that he's tried a piece of wood before, but the truck wiggles and dropps off of the wood causing more damage. Unless it can be loaded and unloaded off of my driveway, or they can bring a large thick rubber mat, I will not ever allow another rollback in my driveway.

Just something to think of. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif [/quot
==========================

Might have been something wrong with that truck.
Maybe it would not have happened with other trucks.

/ Truck VS Trailer
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> </font>

Why can't you haul sand, gravel, slag, dirt, etc... on the trailer? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

============
You could but i don't Want to shovel it off.

/ Truck VS Trailer
Doesn't a dump trailer set up higher than other trailers and makes for a steeper ramp incline to drive the tractor up onto the trailer?

/ Truck VS Trailer #17  
My trailer sits about 24" high. Optional 8' ramps are available for loading tractors and other heavy items. trailer

/ Truck VS Trailer #19  
I quess it would depend on your situation, but I wouldn't give not one of my trailers. I find I used them all. I have a F650 that has a flat bed that could haul my 8N or MM, I have never did it. I have a 24 dovetail gooseneck for the big tractor, 22 ft lowboy for the backhoe, 18 ft for the 8N and MM, 10 utility dump for sand/gravel, 2 made from pick rears for whatever, a cattlehauler and a 5 ft for the car. Pull them with the F650, F350, F150. Have all but he Backhoe registered as farm use $5.00 tags. I put Commerical tags on the backhoe trailer, just in case. I made all them myself. And I keep telling the Boss, I need another one. Picked up this old IH 2ton dump truck, Hyds work, can't wait to make a gooseneck dump!!! Right now I have something in all but one! Can't have too many trailers!!!
JD /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Truck VS Trailer #20  
<font color="blue"> You could but i don't Want to shovel it off. </font>

Me, neither. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Step 1. Trailer load of limestone. What to do?

Step 2. Use the tractor, not a shovel.

Step 3. How's that? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Step 4. Use the tractor, not a wheelbarrow.

Step 5. Drive the lightweight tractor over the lawn, not a heavy truck or trailer. Place the material exactly where you want it.

This method has several advantages...

One. The trailer can haul 5500 pounds of material. The pickup truck cannot.

Two. I cannot load it out of the truck. I have to dump it on my driveway or the lawn, then pick it up again with the FEL, then clean up the mess afterward. The only mess I have to clean up with this method is sweep the trailer into the FEL bucket.

Three. I can't use a truck for precise placement of material. The FEL works much better and the tractor is easier on the lawn than any truck.

Four. License plates for the trailer are $57.00 a year(including our brand new wheel tax /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). Liability insurance is free as it is covered by the tow vehicle's insurance, however, I buy extra insurance to cover the contents of the trailer and the trailer itself, just for peace of mind.

To summarize:
The overall cost of owning our trailer is much cheaper than the overall cost of owning our truck. It can haul more than our pickup truck, is easier to load and unload than our pickup truck and we have one less engine to maintain. We have retired our pickup truck and it is slowly rusting away behind the garage. We are now down to two vehicles, a car and a van. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif