Truck winches

/ Truck winches
Now am needing some kind of harness to go around trees.

/ Truck winches #152  
When you think about it, there's not going to be all that much chafing of a winch line, other than at the fairlead where it enters the winch. Everywhere else, it's a fixed line, not a running line. Fixed lines don't chafe much, and it would probably even be fine wrapped around a tree. If you want to be super-careful, I guess you could use a nylon strap around a tree, then fix to that, which is probably a heck of a lot less point load on the tree bark, too.

I would be sure the fairlead you're using in front of the winch is the best type for a Dyneema line, which might be different than the types used for steel cable. In fact, the soft line fairleads might just be an aluminum ring with a slot, and stainless steel rub points around the slot. That's the primary chafe point, in this application.

One excellent property of single braid Dyneema (eg. Amsteel Blue) is that it's super easy to splice the stuff. A child could do it, with pretty minimal training, and the splices are super strong... stronger than the original line, if done right.

/ Truck winches #153  
in high abrasion environments, like winching tree's, cable should be used, the synth ropes are only good where the line won't rub on anything, and its lighter, and less dangerous if it breaks

/ Truck winches #154  
in high abrasion environments, like winching tree's, cable should be used, the synth ropes are only good where the line won't rub on anything, and its lighter, and less dangerous if it breaks
Agreed. In fact, that's what I use, since my winch is mounted on my trailer, and aimed at pulling trees. But I thought @Hay Dude was using this only for self-rescue of his truck, fixed line situation.

If you're using this to drag trees to the truck, then call the supplier and have them switch you to steel cable!

/ Truck winches
I’ll check into the tree saver.
I already bought the winch with rope and it’s en-route.

No biggie. I’ll be careful when dragging logs. Can’t be all that delicate. They said it was fine for log pulling.

It will be used for equipment/vehicle recovery and logs.

/ Truck winches #157  
I’ll check into the tree saver.
I already bought the winch with rope and it’s en-route.

No biggie. I’ll be careful when dragging logs. Can’t be all that delicate. They said it was fine for log pulling.

It will be used for equipment/vehicle recovery and logs.
Mostly watch for (ie, avoid) it going over rocks or around trees. As soon as there's tension on it, on flat ground it'll be in the air away from most stuff.
You may need a shackle if you get a tree saver strap as the loops at the ends of that are large and two of them may not fit on the winch hook.

/ Truck winches #158  
A short (eg. 10 feet) chain with a slip or choker hook on one end and a grab hook on the other, makes a great durable choker, for this application. Chain around the log, choker hook so it draws tight. Then use grab hook on other end to make a loop into which you hook your soft winch line. The chain takes all the abuse of dragging on the ground.

I made my pair of choker chains real cheap, by buying a 20' chain 5/16" with grab hooks on both ends, and cutting it in the middle for two 10' pieces. I ran slip hooks on the new ends for a few years, until someone here convinced me to try choker hooks. I like the idea of the choker hooks, they won't fall off the chain like a slip hook can, when tension is released, but the pair I bought has an eye a bit too small for the 5/16" chain for which they're spec'd, so I'd try a different brand, next time.

/ Truck winches
1709252052789.jpeg

Will install next week.