TY359 Review and comments

/ TY359 Review and comments #1  

Barker806

Tractor
Yanmar / Deere / Farmall
Hello, I have seen a few posts about the TY359 and I would like to put up my experience with the one that I have had for 2 years. First I am not doing a rant, All in all I really like the machine. I had a Kubota Grand L6060 before I got this and I liked it okay but I really didn't like pushing the hydro as hard as I was on my VERY steep driveway plowing. I also have a John Deere 5100E , JD 2520, Farmall M , JD60 and a JD 435... So I like to think I am fairly in tune with all flavors / types of tractors :) . So I will give my negatives first so I can end on a high note :)

Cons:
Heat Shield rattle ! O my gosh nothing gets on my nerves like hearing some heat shield rattling! I had to fabricate a new heat shield out of Stanless (I own a machine shop / fab shop so it was an option). The heat shield by the muffler was the first one to rattle. After that one was fixes about a month later the shield by the starter added in and I had to weld a stiffener on that shield. If anyone else is having this issue I am more than happy to show how I solved this.

Horn contacts started making a horrid noise when I would turn the wheel in one direction. The pickups for the horn button are little brass shoes that slide on a ring. one of them was bent wrong and digging in making some noise that was very unpleasant.

Seat is a little low, I am not tall and I feel like my knees are in my chest driving it

Options that should be included : Sun visor, Rear View Mirror, rear wiper, Cab light switch on the door... I think that is about all the things that I can think of... I have done all but the cab door switch

The noise in the cab is sort of high, My John Deere 5100E has way less cab noise.

The Pros:
The power is amazing!
The machine starts like it is summer in the coldest of days (we are in Maine so cold is zero and below)
The transmission is why I got the machine and it is worth all the cons... It is so much better than a hydro-static machine of the same HP.
The cab has WAY more room in it than the Kubota
The Auto throttle works great, I can use the snow blower and it will regulate the ground speed on it's own to keep things going a quickly as it can.
Visibility from the cab is great.
Smooth to operate
3rd function for running the grapple works great.

I hope that helps someone that is looking to buy a machine like this one. All in all I really like the machine and I would recommend it over the Kubota.

Thanks
Brian

/ TY359 Review and comments #2  
What do you think of the switch by the PTO turn the knob go slower or faster?

willy

/ TY359 Review and comments #3  
What do you think of the switch by the PTO turn the knob go slower or faster?

willy
The knob is spring loaded on/off switch. You can quickly turn off the PTO buy hitting top of the knob. Doesn’t change your PTO rpm.

/ TY359 Review and comments #4  
Wrong switch. This is a reference to the ability to adjust either forward speed or PTO speed with a two part switch mounted near the PTO ON/Off switch. You change the function by hitting the rocker switch that is integrated in the switch. One position for PTO, the other for Forward speed. I use it frequently if I am trying to establish the necessary combo when running an implement. Seems to work sometimes, other times I can't see any rpm change or speed adjustment so I think it has limited applicability.

/ TY359 Review and comments #5  
Kiwibru, please don’t take this the wrong way as I am not trying to sound like a know it all. If you are using the AB function and not seeing a change, the problem is probably because the throttle on the dash is not set properly. For example if you are in range 2 on the gear selector, your maximum speed will be 6mph. And that speed is only possible if the throttle on the dash is set to 2500 rpm and the rpm on the AB button is also set to 2500 rpm and the speed of the tractor on the AB is set to 6mph. Now if you have the rpm in range 2 set to say 2000 then the max speed will be less then 6mph, around 5.0-5.2. What gets confusing is when you have the rpm on the AB button set to say 2000 and the dash throttle set to 1800, then you can’t get the rpm or the speed you are looking for. When I run my tractor, the throttle on the dash is always wide open to 2500 rpm, I use the AB function to run less rpm’s and it works perfectly. For example, I have been moving a lot of dirt piles in range 2. Function A is set to 4.8 mph at 1900 rpm and I use that as I travel from the dirt pile to the dump point, function B is set to 2 mph at 2300 rpm and that is used to push into the dirt pile to scoop a bucket full of dirt. I’m not good at explaining things and I hope this helps.

/ TY359 Review and comments #6  
These young kids are more savvy on this computer stuff and can
catch on a lot faster than us ole folks! It sure wasn't like this back
in the 50's

They asked this guy if he understood any foreign languages and he
said I don't understand Greek. So they spoke to him in Spanish and
said did you understand that? He said no. The spoke to him in Italian
and said did you understand that? He said no. They spoke to him in
German and said did you understand that? He said no. They spoke to him in French and said did you understand that? He said no. Then they said we thought that the only language you didn't understand was
Greek? He said its all Greek to me

willy

/ TY359 Review and comments #7  
Kiwibru, please don’t take this the wrong way as I am not trying to sound like a know it all. If you are using the AB function and not seeing a change, the problem is probably because the throttle on the dash is not set properly. For example if you are in range 2 on the gear selector, your maximum speed will be 6mph. And that speed is only possible if the throttle on the dash is set to 2500 rpm and the rpm on the AB button is also set to 2500 rpm and the speed of the tractor on the AB is set to 6mph. Now if you have the rpm in range 2 set to say 2000 then the max speed will be less then 6mph, around 5.0-5.2. What gets confusing is when you have the rpm on the AB button set to say 2000 and the dash throttle set to 1800, then you can’t get the rpm or the speed you are looking for. When I run my tractor, the throttle on the dash is always wide open to 2500 rpm, I use the AB function to run less rpm’s and it works perfectly. For example, I have been moving a lot of dirt piles in range 2. Function A is set to 4.8 mph at 1900 rpm and I use that as I travel from the dirt pile to the dump point, function B is set to 2 mph at 2300 rpm and that is used to push into the dirt pile to scoop a bucket full of dirt. I’m not good at explaining things and I hope this helps.
Thank you. I bought a YT359C 4 moths ago after 19 years on a Kubota M68OO.

/ TY359 Review and comments #8  
Thank you. I bought a YT359C 4 moths ago after 19 years on a Kubota M68OO.
No problem, I just purchased my YT359C a little more then a month ago after 8 years with a kubota L3800. Huge difference in HP for me but so far I love the tractor.

/ TY359 Review and comments #9  
I agree on most all fronts. The interior light not being on a door switch bothers me. Mainly because when I bought the tractor it said in the operators manual it had a door switch, then Yanmar told me the book is wrong.

250 hours on mine so far. Only issues to complain about is, IMO, weak power steering and some (what I believe is) hydraulic relief valve noise that bothers my inner mechanic. I don't have a good local dealer I would feel comfortable with addressing either issue unfortunately.

Really love the machine though, would buy again.

/ TY359 Review and comments
The other one that sort of bugs me is that they didn't put a light in the dash to tell you that you are in 4 wheel drive. I took a fast trip down a hill because of that one! You can see where they have it in the dash! I have wanted to look and see if I could add a micro switch.

As far as the PTO button. I think it is a love hate thing. it is REALLY easy to hit it and turn off the PTO. But it is easy to hit it when your turning around and hanging on the to bar on the door (I work on a lot of hills).

The Transmission not being connected to the engine is a bit odd too... I did the first service on mine and was shocked how modular the design is! This thing is really a rearend and an engine. it has a "small" driveshaft from the engine to the input of the rearend. They really have something like no other as far as I can tell. I like to see the innovation.