Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #131  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Would you buy a FWD "truck"? </font>

No, I don't think so.....no matter how safe it was! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )</font>

Me neither....

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #132  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Would you buy a FWD "truck"? </font>

No, I don't think so.....no matter how safe it was! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )</font>

Me neither....

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #133  
Mike, Andy, the V8's you are comparing don't stagger the cylinders? You mean they line up perfectly opposed on either side. I might give you a cylinder, maybe a little more, but not two unless your talking about the W8. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just for the heck of it, I measured my 7.3l IDI, from the back of the engine (not the bell housing to the water puump its about 31". Anyone with the I-6 and a tape measure?

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #134  
Mike, Andy, the V8's you are comparing don't stagger the cylinders? You mean they line up perfectly opposed on either side. I might give you a cylinder, maybe a little more, but not two unless your talking about the W8. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just for the heck of it, I measured my 7.3l IDI, from the back of the engine (not the bell housing to the water puump its about 31". Anyone with the I-6 and a tape measure?

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #135  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I don't think the I-6 is much longer then the V-8 Mike. )</font>

Its not that its longer(though I guess the other guys are right too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).. Its more regarding the shape.. Its easier for the I-6 to punch a hole in the ""thermal barrier"(thats what they call the firewall now) than it is for the much wider V-8 to do the same.. So, in a crash the V-8 is more likely to stay outside than the I-6.. Small margine I would think, but these are some of the things they think about behind the scenes.. )</font>

Interesting Greg, I never really thought about that. I assumed they designed this stuff so it would collapse and the engine got shoved under.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #136  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I don't think the I-6 is much longer then the V-8 Mike. )</font>

Its not that its longer(though I guess the other guys are right too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).. Its more regarding the shape.. Its easier for the I-6 to punch a hole in the ""thermal barrier"(thats what they call the firewall now) than it is for the much wider V-8 to do the same.. So, in a crash the V-8 is more likely to stay outside than the I-6.. Small margine I would think, but these are some of the things they think about behind the scenes.. )</font>

Interesting Greg, I never really thought about that. I assumed they designed this stuff so it would collapse and the engine got shoved under.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #137  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I don't think the I-6 is much longer then the V-8 Mike. )</font>

Interesting Greg, I never really thought about that. I assumed they designed this stuff so it would collapse and the engine got shoved under. )</font>

<font color="black">Good point, not always possible with a full frame vehicle, but I'm sure it is a portion of the design as well.... I'm not on that end of it, but thats the way it has always been explained to me.. You may have noiticed that Ford didnt replace the 4.9L gas burner with another I-6 when emissions called for a new engine.. The Ranger is the only vehicle in Ford's lineup that I can think of that has an inline engine with a RWD application.. I believe part of that is demand and lack of choices.. </font>

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #138  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I don't think the I-6 is much longer then the V-8 Mike. )</font>

Interesting Greg, I never really thought about that. I assumed they designed this stuff so it would collapse and the engine got shoved under. )</font>

<font color="black">Good point, not always possible with a full frame vehicle, but I'm sure it is a portion of the design as well.... I'm not on that end of it, but thats the way it has always been explained to me.. You may have noiticed that Ford didnt replace the 4.9L gas burner with another I-6 when emissions called for a new engine.. The Ranger is the only vehicle in Ford's lineup that I can think of that has an inline engine with a RWD application.. I believe part of that is demand and lack of choices.. </font>

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #139  
HGM:

I'll remember that if I ever hit anything with my WesternStar. My Cat is an I6 as every class 8 truck engine is these days with the exception of the vocational 3208.

Of course barring a brick wall, most vehicles other than other trucks should go underneath me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, the MB engine that's suitable for pickups is an I6. MB don't manufacture anything else other than inline engines as far as I know.

My BIL is a Design Engineer at Ford SVO in Dearborn. He's an "engineer" until he gets his hands dirty. With dirty hands he becomes instantly transformed into a "wrench" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't know the Ranger could be had with an inline engine. I though all available engines were V6's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #140  
HGM:

I'll remember that if I ever hit anything with my WesternStar. My Cat is an I6 as every class 8 truck engine is these days with the exception of the vocational 3208.

Of course barring a brick wall, most vehicles other than other trucks should go underneath me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, the MB engine that's suitable for pickups is an I6. MB don't manufacture anything else other than inline engines as far as I know.

My BIL is a Design Engineer at Ford SVO in Dearborn. He's an "engineer" until he gets his hands dirty. With dirty hands he becomes instantly transformed into a "wrench" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't know the Ranger could be had with an inline engine. I though all available engines were V6's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif