Um what?...Never change the oil?

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #12  
I'm sure some of the senior citizens can remember back in the 50's someone was marketing an oil filter that was a roll of toilet paper and they claimed all you ever had to do was change the roll of toilet paper every now and then.I knew a couple of guys that tried it but don't remember how well it worked out for them.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #13  
They may get water contamination, but I can guarantee the water isn't coming from the pump, unless the owner is spraying the water on the engine and pump. That water directly from the pump would have to cross a seal, a weep hole, another seal, pump oil, another seal, another weep hole and another seal to get into the engine.

Gear/pump sump oil @ high hours (not typical personal use). Should have been more clear.

Rgds, D.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #14  
I'm sure some of the senior citizens can remember back in the 50's someone was marketing an oil filter that was a roll of toilet paper and they claimed all you ever had to do was change the roll of toilet paper every now and then.I knew a couple of guys that tried it but don't remember how well it worked out for them.

I had a 1957 Dodge pickup with a 6 cylinder flat head, the oil filter was optional, mine had it. One roll of toilet paper. Now this is not a full flow filter it's a partial flow filter it had 1/4" copper lines to the engine. Back then I used 30w non detergent oil, changed it at 2k miles. Motor ran perfect I had it for 8 years, sold it and gave the guy a free roll of toilet paper, the look on his face was priceless.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #16  
Had a lawn mower briggs and stratton brand new was $125. I decided I wanted a self propeled so i was wanting to destroy it so I could have an excuse to buy a new one. Used it 10 years and never changed or added oil. Finally I decided to buy a self propelled and my mom took the old one. Its been 37 years later and still running and cutting grass.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #17  
Had a lawn mower briggs and stratton brand new was $125. I decided I wanted a self propeled so i was wanting to destroy it so I could have an excuse to buy a new one. Used it 10 years and never changed or added oil. Finally I decided to buy a self propelled and my mom took the old one. Its been 37 years later and still running and cutting grass.

Has your mom changed or added oil?

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #19  
Gear/pump sump oil @ high hours (not typical personal use). Should have been more clear.

Rgds, D.

I can see the pump oil getting contaminated with oil Mostly from people getting the pump wet and water either running into the pump vent, or splashing/spraying the pump