Um what?...Never change the oil?

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #21  
the science behind it is, from the add mark to the full mark replaces 20% of the oil volume, and that is sufficient to replenish the additive package in the oil, coupled with the fact that most people don't change their oil on a regular bases, if at all. The engine is rated for 125 hours of operation which for the average person equates to like 10-12 years of operation.

The catch is the spark plug and air filter have to be serviced on a regular basis to prevent oil contamination. The problem is the people that don't change their oil, also don't service the air cleaner or spark plug.
Thank you for this. I can't find much documentation or explanation on this whole "never change your oil" thing for small engines. I noticed that Troy-Bilt had a similar label on their walk behind mowers in my favorite orange big box store.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #22  
Sounds to good to believe. :confused3:

They don't change the oil for many jet engines. They use synthetics, good filters and analyse the oil on a regular basis replacing additives as needed.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #23  
If it's a 2 cycle engine you don't change the oil.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #24  
We had a Suzuki motorcycle that had a fuel tank and oil tank. It was 2 cycle and mixed it's own oil. I think there are several engines that do this but have had only one. Fill with gas and check the oil then add if it's getting low.

Last edited:
   / Um what?...Never change the oil? #25  
Thank you for this. I can't find much documentation or explanation on this whole "never change your oil" thing for small engines. I noticed that Troy-Bilt had a similar label on their walk behind mowers in my favorite orange big box store.

The details of this engine was discussed in my Briggs and stratton update school in the fall of 2014 as this was a new engine/concept for the 2015 model year. That same year they eliminated the 5 hour initial oil change on engines with an oil filter.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #27  
/www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/innovations/push-mowers/exi.html NOTE what Alex13 says under the reviews.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #28  
Many people never bothered changing the oil in older mowers. Including (as confessed here) people who definitely knew better.

There will still be some "What, I have to check oil on these things ?" from some people. My neighbour came to see me one Sunday, as he was out of oil - never changed his push-mower oil, and he let it get low enough that "the engine was really stiff to pull". He was a great guy, so I didn't mind giving him some oil, but I did shake my head...... same age as I, grew up servicing his own vehicles, with his Dad building concours quality restorations, including engines.....

I think this is smart marketing by Briggs.

I'd still be changing my oil in this Gen of Briggs - perhaps just a little less often than I do now. I'm curious if they've really done much with the air-filter design; the one on my easily 10 years-old Briggs engined Craftsman mower already had a decent "automotive" style gasket on the air-filter.

Rgds, D.

/ Um what?...Never change the oil? #30  
Many people never bothered changing the oil in older mowers. Including (as confessed here) people who definitely knew better.

There will still be some "What, I have to check oil on these things ?" from some people. My neighbour came to see me one Sunday, as he was out of oil - never changed his push-mower oil, and he let it get low enough that "the engine was really stiff to pull". He was a great guy, so I didn't mind giving him some oil, but I did shake my head...... same age as I, grew up servicing his own vehicles, with his Dad building concours quality restorations, including engines.....

I think this is smart marketing by Briggs.

I'd still be changing my oil in this Gen of Briggs - perhaps just a little less often than I do now. I'm curious if they've really done much with the air-filter design; the one on my easily 10 years-old Briggs engined Craftsman mower already had a decent "automotive" style gasket on the air-filter.

Rgds, D.

I suspect your older mower has the square filter on the side with the single bolt at the top to hold the cover on. The filter this engine uses is a press fit that is designed to eliminate dirt bypass around the sealing surface, and then has the main cover over the filter.