uses for used motor oil?

/ uses for used motor oil? #91  
I agree with you 100%...the EPA in the US is what tells us it's illegal but I'll do it at nite and all is well. Stupid goverment!:thumbsup:

Its how we light brush piles and windrows on bush clearing . Tyre stuffed with straw then soaked in diesel ..(big firelighter) ..:)

/ uses for used motor oil? #92  
On the pine tree farm we use old oil as the base mix for burning debris and piles of brush. We also use it and diesel with gasoline in our drip pots for our controlled burns. Usually a 3/1 or 2/1 mixture. Old oil is pretty cheap compared to 3.60 gasoline or off road diesel. We never reuse old oil and we do not pour it on the ground.

With my pines I am never at a loss for debris from the trees to burn, it is a constant battle to keep the underbrush clean enough to cut.
Ed

/ uses for used motor oil? #93  
All I can say is I am glad me, my better half and 2 children don't live anywhere near most of you guys.:confused2::mad:

I am no tree huger by any means but pouring it in water or on the ground? WTH

Chris

/ uses for used motor oil? #94  
Not to mention it will pollute your ground water and has been proven to cause cancer in drinking water. NEVER DUMP OIL ON THE GROUND !

I didn't even know that water could get cancer....:laughing:

You guys do know why the roads are dirty in the center of the lanes, right?

/ uses for used motor oil? #95  
The names in this story are changed to protect the innocent, the dimwitted, and the spiteful devious jerks.

A few years ago, the father of a member here, lets call him Bob Sr. (therefore the TBN member that you all know and love is called Bob Jr.) had an excavating business. Bob Sr. is a good man, but collected a lot of old trucks and junk to supplement his fleet. His 1 acre yard, next to the Poopville city airport, looked like a junk yard, and was very much an eyesore. However Bob Sr. was always very careful to prevent any leaking or draining of fluids, as Bob's property, neighbors and family were supplied with water from the aquifer beneath his land.

The city of Poopville was interested in expanding the airport to attract new business. In no spoken words, they saw Bob's yard as a detracting eyesore that needed to be removed. Bob was reported to the DEP (Department of Environmantal Protection) by an anonymous person or entity. Bob was required to have 5 soil samples at random locations and elevations within the property, as well as a pump test and aquifer test perfomed. Tests were for typical petroleum impacts and heavy metals found in contaminated junkyards. The site was also required to be visually inspected by an LSP (lisenced site professional) and potential hazards were to be listed.

Bob was required to pay for all site investigations and any remediation that would be required. AKA - Guilty until YOU prove that you are innocent. Entirely on YOUR dime.

Fortunately, Bob was very careful for the 25 years that he was on the property. Soil and water tests indicated no detections for metals or petroleum signatures. The results were well below DEP limits and even below the reference. Bob did get a minor slap on the wrist for fire code issues, but only minor upgrades were needed and no penalty.

Bob was also lucky. He worked with a company that does these inspections and had a LSP on staff. He was able to get it all done and completed with DEP approval for under $20K. On a clean site like his, it can be much more expensive. If issues are found... watch out!

Bob later sold the property through eminant domain, with a clean bill of health, to the City of Poopville and was able to re-coup some of the loss he took for the environmental investigation.

Lesson learned though. All it takes it to ruffle some feathers and their quick call to the DEP or EPA and you are on the hook for thousands of dollars before they even start combing your property for violations. God help you if you have any.

Ironically, Bob Jr. now works as a civil engineer for a company that is involved with these types of investigations, reporting to DEP / EPA, permitting and design/build of the clean up efforts. :)

Even though I tried to spare you the long winded story, I hope "Bob's" story is helpful in the decision with what to do with your drain oil from now on.

/ uses for used motor oil? #96  
All I can say is I am glad me, my better half and 2 children don't live anywhere near most of you guys.:confused2::mad:

I am no tree huger by any means but pouring it in water or on the ground? WTH

Chris

x 2.......isn't the reason why we have all these strict laws because of some poluters from laziness or greedyness, we all have to pay to have it cleaned up after the guilty party declares bankruptcy......:confused2:

It costs nothing but time and effort to dispose of it properly, if not, we all pay one way or another

/ uses for used motor oil? #97  
Bar oil??? As high as a new Stihl bar and chain cost, I'll pay a few dollars for bar oil. You might get by with used oil if you only went thru a gallon or two every few years. We've went thru 4 or 5 gallons of bar oil in the last few months. My Stihl dealer said not to use even new motor oil for lube. It just doesn't have the correct additives to lubricate propperly.
That's just my 2 cents anyway.

You do know that just the regular dirt from ordinary cutting does more damage to your chainsaw bar than the contaminates from filtered used motor oil would ever do, don't you?

/ uses for used motor oil? #98  
Kinda like those who don't like the security/screenings at the airport.......those folks can use the airports without any security and leave the safe travel to the rest of us.....:laughing:

I don't like the security/screenings at the airport because:

1. They are a violation of the 4th Amendment.
2. They are useless.

I spent 22 years in the USAF and I can assure you that there are dozens of ways to sneak stuff past these "heightened security measures".

The first, last, and best security for air travel are people willing to do whatever it takes to subdue a threat in the air. Unless there's a convention of terrorists flying, you'll outnumber them at least 10 to 1.

I'd use airports without any security if there were any, which there aren't. And if you think you're traveling safely with all that screening, you are either ignorant, or delusional. It's just a matter of time....

/ uses for used motor oil? #99  
When I was a kid my father showed me how to do an oil change. To do one you would find spot of dirt and dig a small hole. Then you just needed to line up the drain plug with the hole and fill the hole with the used oil. Times have changed, oil has changed, and I like to think we are a little smarter.

I'm lucky. Next to my work is a landfill that takes the oil for free and not too far away is a chemical depot that's also free for residential wastes. As it is enough oil (and other things) leak out of vehicles and into the drinking water via the ground that I really don't need to be adding more to it. I've replaced the oil pump on my husky chainsaw and have seen how they are made. There's not much to them and they are not made out of high quality materials.

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do but is the few dollars you save now really worth what it could cost you or a loved one down the road. To me I'll just recycle it.

/ uses for used motor oil? #100  
One way to look at it is when you recycle it you are kind of giving a middle finger to foreign oil. It will go to an American refinery and come back to be sold by Americans to Americans, for what it is worth.
Grandpa used to put it on dogs to cure the mange and poured it on the road for the dust, but that was then.