uses for used motor oil?

/ uses for used motor oil? #81  
I use it to burn brush piles and I pour it on a section of road on my place that stays dry and dusty, it helps to settle the dust and keeps it from washing as bad when it rains. For those that don't like that, too bad. I'm sure some of you guys would faint outright at some of the stuff I do with used tires.

What I would not do with it is run an engine off of it or put it in my hydraulic system. There was a time many years ago when that was probably okay, but with the newer diesel injection systems and tractor hyd. systems they're just too complicated and expensive to repair to risk harming them. You'll not save nearly enough money to risk the expensive damage that could be done from it.

/ uses for used motor oil? #82  
I use it to burn brush piles and I pour it on a section of road on my place that stays dry and dusty, it helps to settle the dust and keeps it from washing as bad when it rains. For those that don't like that, too bad. I'm sure some of you guys would faint outright at some of the stuff I do with used tires.

I get through a lot of truck and equipment tyres /few bales of straw and a few gallon of diesel a day :)

/ uses for used motor oil? #84  
Diesel burns hotter than gas. He is cleaning up the valves and pistons of carbon deposits doing this. Old trick but can do damage also if used wrong.

Chris

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have it backwards. Gasoline burns hotter than diesel. Here's one link.

WC Engineering : Diesel vs. Gasoline Turbo Design

From the article...
Diesel burns at low temperatures and exhaust temps are typically in the range of 500-800コF and the volume of exhaust gases is quite high.

From memory gasoline flames are in the 1500-1600 F range.

But try this to see for yourself. Put a quart of gasoline in an old steel paint can and a quart of diesel in a second one. Separate them by at least 20 ft and light them both at the same time. You'll see the gas will burn up quicker and MUCH hotter.

Adding diesel to gasoline will increase knock prevention because it is drastically less volatile. it's also a lubricant and mild solvent so it will clean the system some. But in general, it's best to keep gas in the gas tank and diesel in the diesel tank.

/ uses for used motor oil? #85  
I used used motor oil as bar oil in the chainsaw. worked well. Used two gallons in 4 years. Recycled the rest at Autozone Fuel systems and hydraulic systems have many very expensive parts compared to cost of a few gallons of new oil and a little time and gas to recycle used oil.

Agreed. I haven't bought bar oil in several years and I personally fell buck and put up 20+ chord of firewood a year.

As another poster mentioned, it also makes a great wood preservative. Especially in ant of termite prone sills and such around my farm.

I also pour it (sparingly) in the cracks that open up in my ashfault drive and road. it kills any grass growing there and softens up the pavement such that it somewhat heals itself in the warm summer sun.

/ uses for used motor oil? #86  
x 2......

I would not put it back in any machinery....besides why are we changing oil anyways?...Perhaps to cleanse it from contaminates?..:confused2:...why put those contaminates back in.....

as far as dumping it along fences and/or ground, that is illlegal AFAIK

burn pile would be a good idea though

Not to mention it will pollute your ground water and has been proven to cause cancer in drinking water. NEVER DUMP OIL ON THE GROUND !

/ uses for used motor oil? #87  
I use my old motor oil mostly for chainsaw bar oil and bonfire starter fluid. After I did my last full tractor service, I gave away the 14 gallons of old oil I had (10 hydraulic oil, 4 motor) to a friend who works for the railroad - they use old oil to lube track switches. If I had a decent filter to run it through, I wouldn't think twice about dumping it into my fuel oil tank, and I really should've done that with my old hydraulic oil, but I wouldn't put old motor oil in my tractors fuel tank and/or hydro system.

JayC

I have worked for the railroad for over 35 years. I can guarantee you that used, or even new, motor oil is not an acceptable track lubricator. In fact, if your friend is working for a major railroad company, I can just about bet you that if they get caught using it, they will be taken out of service and possibly fired for thier actions. Why, because the EPA regulations, as well as the FRA, (Federal Railway Administration) will not allow the use of oil in that manner. Besides all the rules, used oil doesnt work verywell as a lubricant on metal that can heatup to over 130degrees on a sunny day. It tends to evaporate and then leave behind all the dirt and dust that was sucked up by the oil, and actually makes throwing the switches harder.

/ uses for used motor oil? #88  
It's good for undercoating your car, chain oil, oil furnace and burning anything.:thumbsup:

/ uses for used motor oil? #89  
Besides all the rules, used oil doesnt work very well as a lubricant on metal.

DING DING DING :confused2::laughing::thumbsup: We have a winner for the best quote of the day.

Dirty, nasty, burnt black, stinky used motor oil for a lubricant, That makes about as much since as making a sandwich from rotten meat. Sure it will work but what is the true cost.

/ uses for used motor oil? #90  
I get through a lot of truck and equipment tyres /few bales of straw and a few gallon of diesel a day :)

I agree with you 100%...the EPA in the US is what tells us it's illegal but I'll do it at nite and all is well. Stupid goverment!:thumbsup: