Using a Disc for the first time

/ Using a Disc for the first time #11  
Jealous:it was -1F this morning in Northern NY.A little stiff for disking!

/ Using a Disc for the first time #12  
Planting a cover crop is preferable to leaving the ground bare, if you will not plant a market crop this Spring.

I suggest a soil test so you know soil pH and any soil nutrient needs before considering which cover crop to plant. California ag agents have the reputation of being very helpful.

While growing, cover crops outgrow weeds, smothering the weeds.

When turned under, cover crops add nutrients and improve soil tilth.

I use mixed Oats and Winter Wheat, which mature successively, for a fall/winter cover crop, Sunn Hemp in the Summer. May experiment with Buckwheat and Clover.

Legumes add nitrogen. (clover, beans, peas)

Cover crops are usually in the ground four to six months, then disced under.

What works well in Florida probably will not be optimum in California. California/western grown seed will probably be most successful for you.

A number of game food plot seed mixes make excellent cover crops and may be cheaper than individual seed types.

Many cover crops are $25 - $30 per 50 pound bag in Florida.

LINK: https://hancockseed.com/collections/cover-crop

This is very good advice.
Nothing good comes from bare soil.
"Fallow Field Syndrome" is somthing I have experienced once and never again in our hay field.
Read this carefully:
Reduce the risk of fallow syndrome with cover crops | UMN Extension

Plant a cover crop, at least.

/ Using a Disc for the first time
   / Using a Disc for the first time #15  
At one time “Summer Fallowing” was a popular method of weed control

I read all your guys info and took the info out to the Tractor today to see what I could do, the first three passes are with the front disc touching the ground and the rear about 2" above the ground, I changed the back angle of the disc two holes difference from the front, and I'm letting the disc float through all the test passes, and I am straddling each furrow as instructed.

I also bought a front weight bracket that holds seven 42lb weights =294lbs. The Tractor seams to run smother without the FEL, it does not rock back and forth like it did with the FEL, and there is less chance of me taking out the fence,:ashamed: don't ask me how I know:ashamed:

IMG_3384.JPGIMG_3385.JPGIMG_3386.JPGIMG_3388.JPG

Second two passes I only moved the rear discs one hole opposite from the front instead of two, the trash can lid marks the new passes to the right of the lid.

IMG_3389.JPGIMG_3390.JPG

The third set of passes I adjusted the top link so the rear disc was 1" off the ground and you can see the adjustment to the gangs in the photo. It seems to be getting smoother.

IMG_3391.JPGIMG_3392.JPGIMG_3393.JPGIMG_3396.JPG

Last edited:
I then put the rear disc straight and that got worse

IMG_3397.JPGIMG_3399.JPG

Last edited:
So I went back to this gang set up and did a bunch of passes, the set up is still 1" rear disc off the ground. Is this as good as it gets or do you have other suggestions.

IMG_3400.JPGIMG_3401.JPGIMG_3402.JPGIMG_3403.JPG