Using a Disc for the first time

/ Using a Disc for the first time #21  
Your getting it done, a disc will not get a level surface most of the time,
you could get a small log or pole and chain it off the disc to pull behind you.
Or a spring tooth or spike tooth harrow to pull behind you at the same time.
I don't recall if you mentioned your plans for this after your are thru discing,
but if you are going to be using a tractor after it is planting and growing,
I'd be sure that my last tillage pass was in the same direction that I would be planting or harvesting or mowing,
otherwise you will find the ground has been compacted by the tire tracks and it will be a bouncy ride crossing those lines.

/ Using a Disc for the first time
Your getting it done, a disc will not get a level surface most of the time,
you could get a small log or pole and chain it off the disc to pull behind you.
Or a spring tooth or spike tooth harrow to pull behind you at the same time.
I don't recall if you mentioned your plans for this after your are thru discing,
but if you are going to be using a tractor after it is planting and growing,
I'd be sure that my last tillage pass was in the same direction that I would be planting or harvesting or mowing,
otherwise you will find the ground has been compacted by the tire tracks and it will be a bouncy ride crossing those lines.

Hi, thanks for posting, I really don't have a plan I'm kinda just learning how to use these attachments, I want to plant a crop when I get time. I do understand that a disc is not going to get the dirt smooth, I just wanted to learn how to adjust the disc so I could operate it as smooth as possible with out having deep furrows like in my first post, the help I received from all you guys so far seems to be working.

I think if I want the dirt smooth for planting I would use my next attachment.

IMG_3280.JPG

/ Using a Disc for the first time #23  
During routine cutting first pass, Top Link should be adjusted so around 60% of implement weight is on front, cutting gang, 40% on rear, smoothing gang.
During routine cutting first pass both front and rear gangs should be moving dirt.

The rear gang must engage the ground to smooth. If rear gang angle is too flat, rear gang will just roll over the ground without moving any dirt.

During second pass, more for smoothing, Top Link should be lengthened so around 40% of implement weight is on front, cutting gang, 60% on rear, smoothing gang.

Disc Harrow use is not something you will master in five to ten hours of use.

Last edited:
   / Using a Disc for the first time #24  
The FRONT GANGS are the CUTTING GANGS. Increasing pan angles and increasing weight/pressure on the front gang will increase front gang's ability to cut. Draft force resistance to the tractor increases as pan angles increase.

To increase weight/pressure on front gangs, shorten the Top Link, which raises the rear of the Disc Harrow, shifting weight from the rear gangs to the front gangs.

Output of the front gangs is input to the rear, smoothing gangs. So if front gangs are set very aggressively first pass input received by the rear smoothing gangs will be lumps and the output bed behind the implement will be less than optimally smooth.

The REAR GANGS are SMOOTHING GANGS. Start with the rear pans set two increments less aggressively than the front pans. Lengthening 3-Pt. Top Link increases implement weight on the rear gangs. As the rear gang is a long distance from the 3-Pt., a half-turn adjustment of the Top Link makes a difference. Both front and rear gangs will move dirt, but rear gangs will smooth more then on first pass.

If you have "outrigger" furrows trailing the outboard pans of the rear gang, slightly lift entire Disc Harrow, perhaps one inch, with hydraulic control. Both front and rear gang should still be moving dirt in the top 2" of soil. Outrigger furrow will decrease but not disappear.

Dragging the field is the next step.

Last edited:
   / Using a Disc for the first time #25  
Hi, thanks for posting, I really don't have a plan I'm kinda just learning how to use these attachments, I want to plant a crop when I get time. I do understand that a disc is not going to get the dirt smooth, I just wanted to learn how to adjust the disc so I could operate it as smooth as possible with out having deep furrows like in my first post, the help I received from all you guys so far seems to be working.

I think if I want the dirt smooth for planting I would use my next attachment.

View attachment 636565

You are getting there just fine - and the harrow and leveler you have will do the rest - do it at the opposite angle of your discing.

I would get a crop in the ground as jeff9366 has suggested - you don't need a perfect seed bed, so I would use your harrow and leveler then broadcast a seed of your choice, then use the leveler to cover the seeds with some soil.

Every bit of information and links you guys have posted I already printed and made a hard copy and read it. The thing that gets tricky is that when the threepoint goes into the ground the angle changes so it's not that easy to figure out percentages of depth, especially if you have it on float, the softer the dirt the deeper it goes and then that also changes your angle, so next time I will try and set the depth for more control. Your right it will take some time to learn.:thumbsup:

I tried the Perfecta cultivator for a few passes just to see what it would do, oh well just having fun.:D

IMG_3406.JPGIMG_3407.JPGIMG_3420.JPGIMG_3415.JPGIMG_3419.JPG

Last edited:
   / Using a Disc for the first time #28  
Catman . . . you have a excellent place with excellent dirt! maybe run a screen behind your tractor on that field that's it . . . nice :thumbsup:

/ Using a Disc for the first time #29  
How is the JD doing Catman ? Seems to be good size implements for tha beast ?

How is the JD doing Catman ? Seems to be good size implements for tha beast ?

In low 4x4 at 2500 rpm's the JD is pulling it pretty well in worked soil, but I'm sure I'm maxing the Tractor, pulling it through dry unworked soil is yet to be determined. The soil I have is pretty easy digging all year long.