Valtra-Valmet tractors?

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #31  
The logging industry.....Dominated in the early days by screaming detroits unless im wrong...Uselesss motors but they kept using them..???That means nothing....I come from generations of farming/logging/trucking and construction...And being ex british valtra and sizu are very familiar to me.....I will agree that sizu as a motor is better than the valtra tractor but "second to none"..???????? Thats a brave statement......I've seen em break cranks and warp heads and endured the endless problems with the newer electronic ones.
Personally not a cat man but you cannot say a sisu is better than any of the big ones...Cummins,Cat,Perkins,Iveco/ford and getting a dealer who actually knows how to fix them is quite a task..?

Just visit your local AGCO dealer. And if you take notice, Cummins has lost a lot of business in the AG world. Reason why? IMHO, not what they used to be. Living off their name, and falling behind others.

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #32  
"Whatco" .....There are none around here and are the ones who have died ????Used is always stale and overpriced and notoriously the most expensive for parts?
I'll continue to visit my NH and IH dealers (As little as possible) . I think you'd get laughed at saying cummins aint what they used to be around here with IH being pretty much the only combine you'll see and cummins being in pretty much every truck (Unless a 60 series) The cat C's have proven to be "not what they were"..????

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #33  
"Whatco" .....There are none around here and are the ones who have died ????Used is always stale and overpriced and notoriously the most expensive for parts?
I'll continue to visit my NH and IH dealers (As little as possible) . I think you'd get laughed at saying cummins aint what they used to be around here with IH being pretty much the only combine you'll see and cummins being in pretty much every truck (Unless a 60 series) The cat C's have proven to be "not what they were"..????

Well, maybe you should have a look at what is beug used under other hoods. They are nor cummapart. And just because your area is loaded with cummaparts, does not mean everyone uses them

Some people really need to take their blinders off. Let them laugh, I don't care.

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #34  
Cummins seems to have the name... In the loader factory i work, they used to put DAF truck engines in them since the old days.. These engines ran on anything, ran 20.000 hrs without overhauls, and even if you threw a hand full of sand in the sump, they kept going. Thats why most of these older models now run in 3rd world countries.

When DAF went belly up in 1996, PACCAR (mothership of Kenworth and Peterbilt) took over, and decided to replace all the smaller than the 9.2 liter engines with Cummins. (6 and 8 liter engines were used in the loaders) the 6BT did fine in the 140 and 165 hp versions, though it soon became clear that they werent as good as a DAF.

a couple of years ago, it wasnt the quality of the engine itself, but the poor customer support and laid back attitude of Cummins, made the management decide to go to JD...

I am not saying Cummins is a bad engine, or that JD is better. The thing is that JD runs just as fast to deliver a part to a 1/2 million dollar/year customer, as to a 1/2 billion dollar/year customer... Its probably because JD is sold through the agricultural importer who knows he needs to help EVERY customer to keep its selling position... :)

About Valtra tractors, the local Valtra dealer used to sell a lot of Ford Major and 5000 in the old days. But he had a hard time to get first Volvo BM tractors, and quickly after he aquired dealer rights, Volvo BM Valmet tractors, accepted in this area.

Only the last couple of years, he is selling a lot of the M X00 series (now A series) and is even selling them to customers that used to buy Ursus tractors (from Poland) because with these basic tractors, he beats the better equipped Ursus on price...

Only one contractor has a reverse drive 8950 around with a triple mo/co batwing setup, because he doesnt like Fendt. But the bigger Valtra tractors loaded with electronic gimmicks are very scarce in my area.

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #35  
I know of someone who works in the Hesston Combine plant, when they switch over was almost 100% certain that SISU was being used, Cummins still insisted that AGCO give them another shot, so they shipped a feww engines, needless to say they never came out of the crate. More than one reason was the attitude, and them resting on their name.

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #36  
I know of someone who works in the Hesston Combine plant, when they switch over was almost 100% certain that SISU was being used, Cummins still insisted that AGCO give them another shot, so they shipped a feww engines, needless to say they never came out of the crate. More than one reason was the attitude, and them resting on their name.

You obviously should be an agco salesman.........I'm sorry but from the old 855's/L10's in our old farm trucks and tractors to the 8.3's in our combines and N14's in the highway trucks and even the 4cyl's in the "HESSTON" swathers you will never be able to trash the cummins name as it is the preffered one and has yet to be beaten ....Each to their own..?
I'm a loyal fan of MF tractors and and have several models leading up into the late 90's so i think the same of perkins motors but new "AGCO" .....Like a belarus around here ,Gone the way of the dinosour...Look at what you see in the fields....#1 case IH....2nd place is close between NH and deere ..3rd is CAT ..?....We saw many gleaners years ago ?

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #37  
I know it's a old thread, but I only want to post more information about what is said in the thread for future reference and information.
To make this lengthy text a bit more explanatory I'm adding links to images of said tractors in the text.

As I'm from Sweden I will say I know some things about the tractors. After the merge of tractors from Volvo with Valmet in the 80's Valmet and Valtra (namechange) became adopted as the national used brand after the last national manufacturer was gone (Volvo went on with its construction equipment). Just up until 1 or 2 years ago Volvo->Valmet->Valtra was the single most sold brand in Sweden but John Deere has catched up. I would say mainly because of the nation wide agriculture sales company (that has switched a few brands through the years) took Valtra up again but also Fendt and Claas (former Renault) which they of course has to sell a few of.

Volvo bought the Swedish Bolinder-Munktell in the 50's and in the beginning of the 80's it formed a joint venture with Finish Valmet to make a "nordic tractor" (the range 505-905 were all except the 905 were 4 cylinders tractors). This series and newer Valtra and Valmet are very expensive to buy as used machinery compared to any foreign brand. In the 80's there were also some smaller models (sub 505 x05 and the earlier 604) which where the old Valmet models painted red instead (before this moment valmet was ugly yellow-brown) and 2x05 series which were the last farm tractors to be produced in Volvo's manufacture plant in Eskilstuna, Sweden. They were based on the former Volvo 2654 model. Later Volvo sold off everything in the joint venture to Valmet.
In the later 90's Valmet's tractors division was bought by Partek (an industry company) and they were bought by another, KONE, later. None of which were into the agriculture business so in this way its good that Valtra ended up at AGCO (in 2004) that's main business is just agriculture. But long before that Valmet/Valtra where selling their engines to Massey Ferguson tractors. The bigger models of the old MF 3600-series had Valmet engine and Valmet used that tractor in the end of the 80's and first years for the 90's. Notice the cab, the same as MF but later Valmet made their own big tractors where there is a different cab. There is also some cooperation with Steyr at this time.

The Valtra tractors and its ancestors are known for being excellent forest tractors. In Sweden cut-to-length logging is used and a lot of farmers have some forest they maintain during the winter so the tractors doubles as logging machines. Former Volvo BM and Valmet/Valtra has always had a good ground clearance and the Valmet 505-905 series in the 80's started with flat floor and 180 degrees rotatable driver seat. In the 90's the TwinTrac reverse-drive system was added as a optional to the 6000 (4 cylinders) and 8000 series (6 cylinders) which have clutch, brakes, throttle and steering wheel in the reverse drive position (up until the N-series and T 1x1 series the wheel was side-mounted, now center-mounted).

In Sweden the big farmers don't use Valtra so much when it comes to 200+ hp. Valtra made a try with its S-series (made in Finland) a few years back (2002-?) but it didn't hit. Valtra's new S-series (270 - 370 hp, made in France) is a disguised Massey Ferguson 8600-series. But only the Valtra variant is available with reverse-drive system (twintrac).

Valtra is very late (the N and T-series) (delivery started this year) with continuously variable transmission, because they developed on their own in the labs and field testing for many years and even after AGCO bought them the very not outfitted with ZF made transmissions as many other brands has been. The CVT is in the "Direct" models (valtra.com lists them but not valtra.us, so I don't know if they are available in North America yet). "Versu" models are full-powershifts.

Valtra's A-series tractors are of very basic design. The root of that platform can be traced back to at least the 70's, it has never been "made from scratch" like the nordic tractor and later bigger models. E.g. it is available with manual hydraulics (electronic is an option) and no powershift gears at all. It over gaps the N-series a bit, where N is seen as a more premium model. But still the smallest of this series has for many years been the single most sold model of tractor in Sweden. The current Massey Ferguson 3600-series is a Valtra under the cover.

Someone wrote that the Valtra name was a shortening of VALmet TRActors. I don't know the original meaning but it is definitely nothing they came up with when they needed to change name (like Ford became New Holland when Fiat bought them, an old market name used again). The Valtra history (home page) information says that "Valtra" trademark had been registered back in 1963 and in the 70's used for machines built-on Valmet tractors or implements that were approved by Valmet.

One advantage the Valmet/Valtra brand has had is the high degree of customization of the tractors. I don't know if it is available in the rest of the world outside of the nordic European countries but here one could starting from 1989 order tractors in several different colors. Also since long every tractor is built after ordered by the customer so they are nearly unique in the optional extras.
Valtra had a page on their website before where one could try this out with all different options. It has now disappeared but the Finish website still has it AND it is possible to change language via the link (they rest of the website is still in Finish). BUT the models in the English variant of the tractor customize page have all been replaced and the costs of each option is outdated. But can still be fun to check out.
http://www.valtra.fi/products/tractors/default_new.asp?from=0&COUNTRY=UK&SenderID=0

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #38  
we have a valtra n111e and it is the worst tractor we have owned . as someone said the best thing about it is the door out of it; What a mistake we made in buying this horrible thing. worst thing is it's stability; we have nearly tipped it over a number of times and AGCO doesn't want to know; So beware of a Valtra as they will kill some one one day

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #39  
Re the stability, they are no taller than any other tractor, you must have the suspension option on the cab? Common complaint from first time users of a suspended tractor cab. Some are worse than others.

/ Valtra-Valmet tractors? #40  
I am not sure how Volvo is connected but Valtra themselves is now owned by Agco. Valtra has always had a great reputation as being extremely well built. I looked at buying one a few years back but my budget just wouldn't allow it:(

from our experience with valtra you were very fortunate that u couldn't afford one:We wish we had never set eyes on a nasty horrible piece of ****
Motor is fine but almost every thing else is not :mad: